Notices

The Freedom Of Sobriety

Old 11-05-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living Sober

The Freedom Of Sobriety

I wanted to take a moment to share one of the many benefits of not drinking, that has really made life much better for me.

When I was at my worst, I would get up and immediately take care of the chores that required any driving. This allowed me to come right home and begin my daily booze intake, and not have to be concerned with a DUI. I was working from home doing some computer related stuff, so I did not have an employer to worry about.

As more time went on, I began to notice some physical problems, mainly the shakes. To combat that, I would have a few snips right out of bed, then still drive and take of my chores, so I could get back home and get down to the real drinking.

I can't even count how many times I had to pass on some event or anything else that required any driving, due to how much I had already consumed that day. This could be as early as 10AM, then last all day- every day. Most of my closest friends always knew that I was in for the day, unless they came over to shuttle my drunk a** around.

The point of this post is that looking back, I have to really wonder how I could have allowed myself to become such a prisoner of my own doing. It just amazes me that I felt content to stay home and be drunk, meanwhile missing out on EVERYTHING. Seriously, just how fun is it to just be drunk while at home? Not much really, and the new found freedoms of sobriety are well worth the battle. Now I’m a driving fool, morning or night, just because I can.

Stay sober people, ‘cause it ain’t half bad.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well said Lusher
Old 11-05-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice post!!
Old 11-05-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First we consume alcohol and then it consumes us.

(It's great to get ourselves back, isn't it!!!!)
Old 11-05-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been in basically the identical pattern and it feels great to be free of it!

It's helping me avoid drinking at all, even at night, because I know the hangover I'll give myself will make it hard to avoid "just one drink" the next day to get over it.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

you are not alone
Old 11-05-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
oak

Thank you for posting. I needed to remember the prison of drinking. I also drank alone at home and did not drive. I felt trapped and bored after a while. It was miserable.

It is so nice to have the freedom to drive all day long without worry.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree wholeheartedly Lusher. I just wish I had seen the truth long ago. I was so afraid to let go of it. It's wonderful to be free.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I no longer worry about getting into an accident and getting a DUI or causing injury or death to anyone.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That hit hard! So true and I was exactly the same way
Old 11-05-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was always scared there would be some kind of emergency, like maybe my husbands car breaking down and he would need me to come get him. Then I would be forced to admit I had been drinking and couldn't do it. It's nice to lose some of that stress.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yayyyyyy for being sober!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Lusher View Post
I have to really wonder how I could have allowed myself to become such a prisoner of my own doing.
BOOM!

Nailed it!

My whole life revolved around alcohol. I never knew I was a slave until I wasn't anymore.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is all very familiar
Old 11-05-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Inspiring post! All too true. So glad to be OUT that spiral. The constant worry about having enough booze, the bumps and bruises, the physical symptoms, the social embarrassment, and all the damage that drinking does to personal relationships...poof, gone. Why did we put up with it for so long? Because we are alcoholics, I guess.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post. I don't know why it's so easy to forget how bad things used to be. It's sad remembering but probably necessary to do from time to time to realize how grateful I should be today and why it's not worth even playing with ideas of having "just one little drink" again.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Driving is wonderful! I was just thinking about that the other day (actually, most days) when we were going out somewhere and my husband said "you're driving" and I didn't panic. I also thought about it this morning when I passed a cop and smiled real big. I feel like I'm free to do whatever I want. I'm so glad you're able to feel that too.