Notices

Day One is not a failure it another chance

Old 11-05-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One is not a failure it another chance

Like many people on here, I have had my share of Day 1's and recovery from a drink that I shouldnt have had a day before.

But you know what, Day 1 is ok, it means you are giving yourself another chance to stop drinking. Day 1 should not be seen as a failed attempt, but a celebration that you have not given up hope that you can stop drinking.

So here to all you Day 1 folk out there, here a big round of applause for trying again to get and stay sober.

I have been sober for a week now and it feels so good to be living life free.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Agreed.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

At the same time though, I think we should be careful not to casually approach a new day one without taking anything from it. I know for myself, personally, I have to avoid any future day ones. I can't take them lightly. I see what you're saying - we shouldn't "beat ourselves up" over it, but at the same time we really need to focus on preventing them from happening in the first place. For myself, if my attitude is too carefree and relaxed, then I'll start believing another day one isn't that big of a deal. We really need to get something out of each day one and learn from it so as to prevent it in the future. This disease isn't to be taken lightly.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I definitely take what you're saying alone - but Judas makes an excellent point too.

Day one is definitely a new beginning - but I really needed to remember that those who refuse to learn the lessons of the past are doomed to repeat them.

D
Old 11-05-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I very much agree that alcoholism should not be taken lightly because continued use gives many a miserable life and leads to a most horrid death. No one knows how many recoveries someone has so we have to be sober one day at a time in a row for a healthy recovery.

BE WELL