Notices

Meditation Session freaked me out

Old 11-04-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meditation Session freaked me out

Hi Everyone,

Just checking in. I have been sober for about a week and since Saturday I have been finding things a little tough, so I this morning, I sealed off my home to all external distractions. Phones, internet etc all turn off. Curtains closed and meditated.

On the few occasions I have done this before, I able to go into a dreamlike state, but with full control to direct the dream how I wish.

Anyway, I wanted to re-create a typical day of drinking, so I could remind myself of just how rotten it is, in order to strengthen my resolve. What happened caused unexpected side effects.

I imagined driving to Sainsbury's Supermarket and looking for deals on Port, which I found. I purchased them and drove home. Fast forward a few hours and I imagined drinking 2 bottles of Port neat, just like used to and feeling the effects. I didnt feel drunk in the dream (thats impossible), but I imagined waking up the next day and feeling very unwell.
I remember having a splitting headache (this was really felt) and feeling very sick (again very real). I remember the smell on my breath and having an argument with my Wife about coming to bed smelling of booze.

I imagined staying in bed trying to recover and praying not to drink again.

I then woke up from my meditation, I had to run to bathroom, where I was sick (for real) with blood and had a banging headache I had to take Ibuprofen to shift.

I have heard the expression, "Your mind makes it real", so this not something I am going to try again, needless to say, I am still sober and have absolutely no plans whatsoever to drink again. Real or Imagined.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

wild. sounds like a super vivid reminder of a great set of reasons to choose sobriety.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sobriety has been the best gift to myself in like forever. I find drinking to be abhorrent now. I have the feeling I am going to lose some good friends over becoming sober. Except one, who is also sober and has helped me a lot this past week, My Wife. She is the only friend I need and want the rest can take it or leave it.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Aloneatlast, we aren't supposed to give medical advice but, if you are vomiting blood, you should see your doctor (be sure to tell him/her about the ibuprofen; it is usually contraindicated for bleeding problems).
Old 11-04-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Aloneatlast, we aren't supposed to give medical advice but, if you are vomiting blood, you should see your doctor (be sure to tell him/her about the ibuprofen; it is usually contraindicated for bleeding problems).
I am already ahead of you there, but thanks for the good advice. My Doctor said the subject of the meditation, was causing me physical stress and could have been the result of an ulcer.

The Ibuprofen was taken after being sick, so did not cause it, he did say I shouldn't have taken this after being sick as it can cause it own problems.

If it happens again to go back to him, otherwise he said, meditate on something a little more positive. He did offer me all sorts of help regarding meetings etc, but I have done this already so it was a mute point.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Are you sure you didnt drift off and have a nightmare ?

i have had major sleep related issues my whole life and i meditate also

if your controlling this dreamlike state no offence how did you decide to think about drinking ?

this is caused by 2 things first you thought about drink

2 i shop in sainsburys they have all there alcohol on sale at the moment its everywhere on thier stands you have seen this also

my conclusion is no offence you have had a nightmare

i was vomited blood for the last 3 years of my drinking

check my blog nightmares and nosebleeds you might relate
Old 11-04-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I understand what your saying. I wanted to recreate the experience of drinking without drinking. I intended to confront my desire for a drink by giving in to it mentally, so I wouldnt do it for real. The scary part was the real feeling of being sick and having a headache, everything else was intentional.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

check my blog pm if u want i have heavy duty experience in this

i bled so much as a child i had my adanoids out and grommits in my ears

ive woken up from nightmares with nosebleeds and i have an apt to check it out as it shouldnt be possible for me to have a nosebleed yet recently that has happened twice in recent months

and ive developed alopecia at the back of my head which is annoying
Old 11-04-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"meditate on something a little more positive"

Yes yes yes.

Meditating on the awful stuff about drinking, to scare yourself sober ?? That's pretty nuts if you think about it.

In sports psychology, its all about being positive.

As a goal kicker in football, you want to imagine the ball going high over the bar & straight between the uprights ......... the last thing you want to be thinking as you run in to kick is "OMG, the shame & embarrassment if I miss this .... OMG OMG"

Same thing from the free throw line in basketball. If your setting up saying to yourself "don't miss, don't miss, don't miss, don't miss" ......... you'll miss.

"Don't miss" is a double negative.

If you set up for a free throw saying "in goal, in goal, in goal, in goal" ..... its a double positive.

Its still not guaranteed to go in, but scientific studies have shown that visualising the end result & using double positive in the pre-performance routine increases your chances by 100 plus percent.

So maybe try meditating on positive outcomes of sobriety, rather than the negatives of drinking.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
"meditate on something a little more positive"

Yes yes yes.

Meditating on the awful stuff about drinking, to scare yourself sober ?? That's pretty nuts if you think about it.

In sports psychology, its all about being positive.

As a goal kicker in football, you want to imagine the ball going high over the bar & straight between the uprights ......... the last thing you want to be thinking as you run in to kick is "OMG, the shame & embarrassment if I miss this .... OMG OMG"

Same thing from the free throw line in basketball. If your setting up saying to yourself "don't miss, don't miss, don't miss, don't miss" ......... you'll miss.

"Don't miss" is a double negative.

If you set up for a free throw saying "in goal, in goal, in goal, in goal" ..... its a double positive.

Its still not guaranteed to go in, but scientific studies have shown that visualising the end result & using double positive in the pre-performance routine increases your chances by 100 plus percent.

So maybe try meditating on positive outcomes of sobriety, rather than the negatives of drinking.
Thats good advice. Obvious to me now I think about it.
Its seemed a good idea at the time.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As per your signature.... You hit yourself hard.... Learn from that and keep moving forward

In a positive way next time.