Notices

Can I vent a tiny bit?

Old 11-04-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I always thought that being an alcoholic meant that I had natural immunity to being codependent. Well, nope, that is not the case.
Lots of alcoholics can be codependent.
I see some warning flags of codependency in your post, the role you took on as being a counselor, the little ownership you would like to have of the situation, the over involvement in problems that maybe aren't directly your problems. Codependent.
Sorry that might have gotten a little blunt at the end, but I could easily be describing myself there.
A realistic assessment of where your problems realistically begin and end is one of the first solid steps towards lasting sobriety. Should you be giving yourself such a big piece of this problem that it is making you upset? I think you know the answer.

And remember, dust off the embers, don't blow on them: an alcoholic and a normie are standing around the campfire. Embers fly onto the clothing of the normie, who calmly brushes them away. The alcoholic blows and fans the embers until their clothes are on fire!
Old 11-04-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi ArtFriend,

Sorry about the issues with your brother. You made the right choice by setting boundaries and not letting him move in with you. Having an alcoholic brother live with you would be an additional threat to your sobriety. I know what he said bothered you, but just keep remembering that he’s an alcoholic who is desperately trying to manipulate you into doing something that is not good for you.

My advice is to try not to worry about any medical tests until you actually get back results that are actually worrisome. Many people on SR have admitted to worrying about medical tests and the results eventually came back better than expected.

I have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and one of the things that I’ve learned to do is sort through the things that are worrying me and discard the things that I have no control over. Right now that might mean discarding the anxiety you have about your brother and the medical tests. Focus only on the things that you have some level of control over. One thing you do have a bit of control over is drinking, although it can be very difficult.

Also, what are some of the things that you might do to help you relax; e.g. meditation, yoga, a good book? For me it’s a long relaxing walk followed by a bubble bath. Watching funny movies with happy endings are another way I relaxed. Take some time to pamper yourself and focus on your needs and your mental and physical health as much as possible right now.

And yes, vent on SR whenever you need to.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ok, just wanna make one more comment about my friend, and then I will shut up. We have been communicating fairly regularly (every couple of days) via email. One would think that during that time she was out looking for houses, etc. that she would have clued me in. She said nothing. It is what it is, but I am pissed. End of story for now.

Yes, you are all right. That is why I hang out here lol. Very wise people who have been there. I am still a newbie and taking baby steps. Angry I can't get this under control yet. I did make the right decision regarding my brother. That I know. But, I am sad that he is in this predicament... and sad that we cannot have a normal caring friendship like we used to have. I keep waiting for that "perfect time" when all is great and I THEN can focus on not drinking. I know...there never is a perfect time. But there are better times than others, right?

Turtle - how do you just let things flow without any reaction?

Scott and Dee - I get what you are saying. It is so hard to implement.

JoSharon - I do have very supportive friends but I lost some friends when I announced that I was quitting booze.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good for you for standing up for yourself and telling your brother he could not move in with you! That could not have been easy. I have struggled with my relationship with my older brother for so many years, I know it has taken a toll on me with all the stress. (& no doubt my husband is tired of it). Yet still I could never bring myself to be honest with him b/c I always worried about hurting his feelings (he has always been extremely moody & oversensitive). Realize how strong you can be, you're inspiring me!
Old 11-04-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have always had very high expectations of myself. I would beat myself up constantly for failing to reach those standards I set.

Often I would unconsciously apply those expectations to my friends and resent them for 'failing' too.

In recovery I resigned as General Manager of the Universe

I'm less beat up, less stressed and funnily enough things run way more smoothly now

D
Old 11-04-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Perhaps you are right Jennie. Its just that I spent all that time and energy on her stuff and then get "kicked in the virtual teeth". People can be so very selfish at times.

And... just thought of this. She has no clue about what I am going through. Doesn't know I am struggling with drinking and all the other myriad of things. She never asks because she doesn't show any interest. It is all about her. My fault I guess.
I know that must hurt. However, maybe that's your cue to not spend so much time on her and her stuff Right?

Also... I'd be reluctant to keep giving of myself to someone who doesn't care enough or take time enough to reciprocate that concern, you know?

For her, it probably IS all about her. And it is NOT your "fault"... but if you do keep spending your precious time on her (time and energy that could be spent on you and your sobriety), you are choosing to be "ok" with whatever she dishes out, or doesn't dish out. What she gives back to you is ultimately her choice, of course.

Sooooo... there ya go Maybe take a step back from her and her drama, see how she responds... and use that energy on YOU.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Dee- I took over the job of Master of the Universe when you quit. Except I am Mistress of the Universe. (sounds kinda kinky eh?)

Bailey - Thank you and I am glad this conversation is inspiring someone. It was very hard to tell him no. But two drunks living together? OMG!

Littlefish - I know I am codependent, so no offense taken. It is among something I am working on among other things.

Alaska Chick - I also think I have developed GAD over time. I do worry over everything!
Old 11-04-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

If I was living in Dallas, I'd be happy as a pig in mud.

Because I could go see these guys & gals

http://www.ppgaadallas.org/

Midway Hills Christian Church

11001 Midway Road

Dallas, TX 75229

(2 blocks north of Royal Lane)

Thursday @ 7:30 PM - Big Book Study and Foundation Meeting.

Women - Contact Cindy M. [email protected]

If you would like to turn your ship around Artfriend .... these people will give you all the help you need .... and some.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thank you all very much!

Jennie - that really does make sense...I have always given more than got with her. When you quantify energy spent, I guess it should be on fixing myself first
Old 11-04-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

ArtFriend, very glad to hear that you were able to deny your brother's request to temporarily live with you. (Sorry you were put in that difficult situation).
Old 11-04-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Turtle - how do you just let things flow without any reaction?
A REaction is a response to something, some stimulus. If I choose to merely observe the stimulus, well it evokes no response. If I choose to observe my emotional response, well that's just emotion. If I choose to act, that's action. Not REaction.

Did I make any sense? I sometimes don't know.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I have gone all out for some of my so called friends over the years. Very rarely has any of them gone all out for me, those that have I can count on half a hand. The past is in the past, move on. Your sobriety is your new best friend.