Notices

stress

Old 11-04-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

stress

I'm on day 1 and was very hopeful this morning. Now, stress is pulling me in the direction of drinking. I am hopeful that I can make it without drinking all night.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Ms Marie. You have the choice/power to decide to not pick up that first drink, stay with us here and share if you would like. Is there a meeting or other type of local support you could use today as well?
Old 11-04-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Scott, TY. I am looking for a meeting to attend tonight. I've never been to a meeting,
a bit scared.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Ms Marie View Post
Scott, TY. I am looking for a meeting to attend tonight. I've never been to a meeting,
a bit scared.
Don't be scared of meetings, they are filled with people who understand exactly what you are going through, just like SR is. And they exists exclusively to help those with alcohol issues. Call your local AA number and you can probably arrange to meet someone at the meeting before you go in to help.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hello Ms. Marie...we have all been there in early sobriety. My suggestion is to look for a good way to counter the stress, no matter what. A good walk with good music? You can do this.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Ms Marie,
I want to encourage you, and I KNOW you can be FREE. I could not fix me, but in 3 weeks I will have 1 year, Happy, Joyous, and FREE. It happened by completely surrendering myself to the Program and the Steps of AA, but AA did not 'fix' me. It was thru me completely surrendering to the Steps, and completely doing the Steps, without the interference of 'ME'.

The truth is that I was a Spiritually maladjusted being, denying the most important aspect of 'ME', that I have a Spiritual Nature, and a Human Flesh Nature, and thru EXTREME selfishness and self-centeredness, all I cared about was FEEDING the Flesh Nature in me that continually clawed and screamed for MY WAY, My Pleasure, My My My.

There is FREEDOM from being bound by that 'Flesh ME', and it has manifested itself in being able to experience the New ME, which has actual choices, and is not BOUND by demanding 'I' get what 'I' want, at the expense of everything that is actually meaningful in Life.

Well, enough of my rambling, which is much better than my previous Drunken practice of 'ranting'.

RDBplus3..Also, may God Bless You, and Set you FREE, as He has done in the New 'ME'
Old 11-04-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Ms Marie, to SR.

Stress is a trigger for many of us; a leisurely walk, a warm soothing bath, curling up with a good book, listen to some of your favorite music, make your favorite dinner, indulge in a decadent desert.

Be gentle and kind to Marie; she deserves it.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The first couple weeks are going to be hard, Marie, no two ways around it. Your brain needs to change and the way it changes back to normal is to stay away from the alcohol.

Stress and anxiety are magnified in early sobriety. Tough it out and in a couple weeks you'll feel so much better. I used the phrase, "I want to crawl out of my skin," when experiencing early sobriety. It's normal.

I know I had to stay busy. I went to meetings every day. I watched mindless Netflix, I fixed good meals, I slept as much as I could. I cleaned the house. Walked. I decided not to pick up that first drink ever again.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done Ms Marie
Old 11-04-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hey again Marie. I've told this story more than a few times and will tell it again for fear of becoming know as 'the toilet bowl lady' - well, I could be called worse

Afternoons were hard for me, as they are for many, so I started cleaning the bathrooms in my home. Specifically, the toilets. I'd don rubber gloves and scrub away with the brush. Starting with the toilet nearest to the kitchen as I cooked dinner and left my laptop open to SR on the counter. Scrub, scrub, scrub. Wash hands, air out nostrils and check out threads on SR. Repeat.

The thing is I have always hated cleaning toilets (who loves it?) but get enormous satisfaction from a nice, clean bathroom. Now I just see the toilet as a means to the end of a clean bathroom. Whenever I cannot leave the house I just clean away! Knowing that satisfaction will be mine. To the victor goes the spoils!

For a long time I had the cleanest toilets imaginable and I went through a lot of toilet bowl cleaner. Eventually having to start buying the most environmentally friendly cleaner just to ease my conscience. I kid-you-not. I even bought those drop-in cleaning tabs to keep in the tank, but after a few weeks it ate away at the plastic toilet mechanism and I had to replace the parts. It was then that I noticed the giant, neon orange sticker on the side of the tank warning not to use drop-in cleaning tabs, lest you destroy the plastic mechanism.

This is a true story about how I did something good to stay away from drinking when I felt stress. Maybe it will inspire you or at least bring a smile to your face. Desperate times call for desperate measures?! Well, at least it works for me. It has been 7months now with sober-ness, and I still fall back on this method of stress reduction. I could do worse.

You can do this!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

boy.... stress pulled me back into a bottle soooo many times! I get it.

I still get stressed these days, but I don't drink over it. I realize that when I drink, stress simply begets more and more and more stress.

Some days I feel pretty overwhelmed trying to learn how to deal with stress without numbing it. But, it's sooo much better than magnifying it by waking up out of the oblivion to a hangover and the shock and shame and regret of a blackout's remains.

Nah. Stress will never be anything compared with that hell.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There will always be stress. We can't let it drive us back to drinking. Anyway, drinking makes stress and anxiety much worse. Find ways of dealing with the stress in a sober way. It can be done.

Welcome!
Old 11-04-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I have the feeling I will be living on this site the next few hours.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done ms Marie
Old 11-04-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ms Marie, I lived on this site for the first few months! There is a lot of good info, and it's really helpful to read (over and over) that others know how you feel and have gone/are going through the same things.

The first drink is the one to avoid.

Go to bed sober tonight. You'll be so glad you did. Don't drive by the store, get rid of any alcohol in your house, etc.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Ms Marie View Post
I'm on day 1 and was very hopeful this morning. Now, stress is pulling me in the direction of drinking. I am hopeful that I can make it without drinking all night.
I would say that if you are on day 1, what you are identifying as stress is most likely being made worse by your addiction for the exact purpose of forcing you to drink.

The answer isn't to give in, but to push through.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

We need to learn to deal with stress in other ways, there is always going to be stress in life, but should that mean that we'll never be Sober?

Instead we need new tools in the toolbox, not the quick fix we're used to!!

Hang in there!!
Old 11-04-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

We're glad to have you here Ms. Marie

Stress is a tough one - but support helps

Welcome

D