Notices

At the risk of starting a war

Old 11-04-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I failed miserably the first few attempts at AA. One when I was 19, I found it depressing, my AV said nope, u don't have a problem. Then I wandered back into the rooms in a different state about four years ago. It was again, doom and gloom. So it gave my AV another excuse. I am back in AA in a small town with huge numbers. Lots of 10 years and 20 plus sober time in there. It is usually filled with laughter and yes, there are the gloom and doom stories but...I don't know, it's different this time. Older people with a lot of sober time. I just made it my home group yesterday.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Depression certainly coexists with alcoholism quite a bit, so it has been my experience that I see quite a few people in AA with depression and, for that matter, some other mental and nervous issues.

A good many of them get help for those issues.

I have been going to AA since I got sober and my meeting preferences have drifted from time to time.

I just keep going and haven't had a drink since I walked into the treatment center a few 24 hours ago.

Best.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Fellow traveler

I've been to meetings in Dover, somewhere in Scotland and the Republic of Ireland. They were all somewhat different than my US meetings, but that said, every region in the US is different and really every meeting has its own personality.

If a meeting isn't doing what you need it to, please find one that does before writing off AA altogether. People need different things, some people need to hear that "Everything sucks but I didn't drink today" message, and others need to hear "this is how I took Step 4" and still others need to hear "Today I'm grateful for..." Some people need to say those things.

Fellowship is only one part of how this works. Doing Stepwork is another. Find a balance that works for you...
Old 11-04-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chiffon View Post
And I REALLY just want advice here - NO arguments. Every time I have gone to AA, it's been like 'Depressives Anonymous'. Nothing, to do with quitting booze, just loads of people telling everyone all about their problems and looking miserable because they couldn't drink alcohol. My question is - is this NORMAL at AA meetings or have I just found a group of depressives? It put me right off and left me feeling like i needed a drink to get all their problems out of my head (I tend to take things on board and want to solve things for people)
I regularly attend AA. People come to share their experience, strength and hope. Some share their journey to sobriety, (depressive stories and all) and some their recovery. I take from meetings positives for ME. I personally find AA really useful but different strokes for different folks I'm from Scotland btw. I've laughed, cried, came out of meetings elated and frustrated at times.

Guess that's just life.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I love my new group. Find one you enjoy!

Jennifer
Old 11-04-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Can we dump this thread please - it was an innocent inquiery but have been slapped on the knuckles for it. I'm onto youtube now listening to Maroon5 and 'moves like jagger' - highly recommend it for a booze distraction and thanks to all you who replied, but lets dump this thread now x
Old 11-04-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Maroon 5 - Moves Like Jagger ft. Christina Aguilera - YouTube
Old 11-04-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chiffon View Post
I say this light-heartedly but it's not far from the truth - a share in the UK goes along the lines (in a monotone voice, staring at the floor) ... My Grandad died and then my Gran blew over the cliff with her wheelchair on fire... I wanted a drink but the cash machine wouldn't let me have any money'

I mean JesusH - Dolly parton couldn't come out with it.
You might think I'm joking but it REALLY IS that depressing
at the risk of not starting a war the title of the thread was, and what exactly is the tread all about if not to try to upset or start a war ?

i lost my child who was 16 to stomach cancer and if i looked down when i was sharing its because it was a dam painful experience in my life and still is

i hope you never find out what its like to lose a child and i hope if you did and you came to an aa meeting upset over it and sharing over it that i would be there to help you

the meetings in my area we share what the drink did to us, where we ended up, how we thought and felt and then how it is today since coming into aa

getting a sponsor, and the impact a sponsor can have on helping to change the thinking, how the program has helped us grow

but the bottom line is how it was and how it is today

and of course also if people have issues going on then they share them over the table, a bit like anyone can start a thread on sr with a problem and throw it out for others to come up with anything that might help

like my ex wife is in bed with someone else tonight and its killing me as i want to go around and beat the pair of them up

would you get upset as its not on the program ? or its not in the big book ? or its not what YOU want to hear in an aa room ?

have alook at yourself and your reasons for even starting this thread as its not a healthy or helpful thread and as for your comments well its clear you have a long way to go to grow

or maybe i should of just ignored your comments and kept my own comments to myself
Old 11-04-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

Enough.