Notices

At the risk of starting a war

Old 11-04-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I say this light-heartedly but it's not far from the truth - a share in the UK goes along the lines (in a monotone voice, staring at the floor) ... My Grandad died and then my Gran blew over the cliff with her wheelchair on fire... I wanted a drink but the cash machine wouldn't let me have any money'

I mean JesusH - Dolly parton couldn't come out with it.
You might think I'm joking but it REALLY IS that depressing
Old 11-04-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

hahah how do you think the good Country songs are written they all go to an AA meeting and take notes. ekkekekekekekek
Old 11-04-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Okay, I think we're crossing a line here:

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)
Old 11-04-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

No joke Ardy, is REALLY is THAT depressing over here
Old 11-04-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Okay, I think we're crossing a line here:

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)
Anna - i'm really sorry, I was just trying to show the differences between the UK and USA meetings. I promise I was not trying to condemn either.
I thought it would help, to let each country know why the other was reluctant.
I truly apologise if it seemed I was condeming AA - that was not my intention.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the point has been made.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ok. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Let's leave it there, and thanks for all replies. Peace x
Old 11-04-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

We do joke and laugh a lot at the two groups I attend. Maybe you should take the lead and crack a joke or two to lighten up the mood.
On my side of the pond, AA's got jokes
Old 11-04-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Old 11-04-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Chiffon View Post
And I REALLY just want advice here - NO arguments. Every time I have gone to AA, it's been like 'Depressives Anonymous'. Nothing, to do with quitting booze, just loads of people telling everyone all about their problems and looking miserable because they couldn't drink alcohol.

My question is - is this NORMAL at AA meetings or have I just found a group of depressives? It put me right off and left me feeling like i needed a drink to get all their problems out of my head (I tend to take things on board and want to solve things for people)
AA's program is the Big Book. How to stop and stay stopped. The formula for this is the first 164 pages. The Twelve and Twelve is the instructional companion for this - incredible resource. You may find after reading these things you can relate more to those ( sometimes ) long drawn out war stories....
Yea, I am not a huge fan of drunk logs. Meetings are not the program of AA. Helpful, but by themselves would never keep me sober.

Groups vary depending on the members. I have been to the good and bad.

Read the book, ask questions related to it and gain understanding of 'How it Works" = chapter 5. I find listening to speakers on Youtube very beneficial related with some humor. If interested check out Earl H = Earl Hightower. There are many others. If you don't find it enlightening and funny, I will refund your money

Fly
Great post - from your heart!
Old 11-04-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks fly - my query was the differences between UK and USA meetings but thanks
Old 11-04-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

The first time I went to AA I had the same experience. Lots of people had no desire to quit. The place had a negative vibe, and I actually felt worse than when I came in. So I tried a second AA group and that one felt like a fun neighborhood bingo club - everyone was upbeat and happy and greeting each other and supportive. So I would recommend trying a few places to find a good fit.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Trudgin

And I REALLY just want advice here - NO arguments. Every time I have gone to AA, it's been like 'Depressives Anonymous'. Nothing, to do with quitting booze, just loads of people telling everyone all about their problems and looking miserable because they couldn't drink alcohol.

My question is - is this NORMAL at AA meetings or have I just found a group of depressives? It put me right off and left me feeling like i needed a drink to get all their problems out of my head (I tend to take things on board and want to solve things for people)
Oh, I just read your post and question - guess there was more?
So the question is - Have you been to meetings in the States and UK? If so, compare and contrast please.....

No, I have not

But, thanks for playing guess the question - Ha, Ha!

IMO - Groups probably still vary regardless of geographical location - Some strong some not, pehaps
fly
Old 11-04-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Oh, I just read your post and question - guess there was more?
So the question is - Have you been to meetings in the States and UK? If so, compare and contrast please.....

No, I have not

But, thanks for playing guess the question - Ha, Ha!
fly
I will treat your reply, with the contempt it deserves, but thanks anyway
Old 11-04-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

hi, im from uk I attend AA, I go know of 4 different meetings 2 of which I regularly attend that give out sobriety chips

I also identify with you that some meetings are more of a (shall we say dumping ground) where members tend to moan on how bad things are and can make it come across as depressive, but hey take a positive out of it, they too are alcoholic and haven't drank on it.

don't take other peoples sh!t home with you, there are plenty of decent meetings in the uk, but I would guess (and its only a guess) people dump there depressive negative problems at AA world wide, I don't think its a uk thing.

as said try lots of different meetings, big book study where they concentrate on the book, step meeting where they again concentrate on the book, (which could be the big book or 12&12 book) experience strength and hope meeting which has good long term sober members who get a person to share who has a good length of sobriety.

the meetings are out there and I totally agree with you some are very depressing, but not all of them are like that

keep looking

dave
Old 11-04-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Not defending or lambasting AA. Have though been attending meetings in the UK for some 19 years and my experience is quite different from that of the OP. A good deal of laughter, hope and friendship with moments both tragic and solemn.
Above all a wealth of recovery.
If the meetings were chronically depressive in my area I would certainly be looking 'out of town'.
G
And I have been to meetings in US all over east coast as well as UK south and Midlands.
G
Old 11-04-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

I got my 24hr chip, which is silver, and I'm getting a 1 month chip next week, in Wiltshire, UK.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I will treat your reply, with the contempt it deserves, but thanks anyway
You are very welcome
have a nice day
Old 11-04-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

YOU can be the Message of Hope, Freedom, and a Renewed Life

My suggestion, based on the true intent of the AA Big Book, and my experience:

Read the Big Book. Do the Steps as they are presented in the Big Book. Go online and get enormous insights into working each of the steps. Go online and get Speaker Messages specifically about peoples experiences and insights of them working the Steps.

Then, go to the Meetings and BE THE MESSAGE of HOPE and FREEDOM and a CHANGED LIFE. I GUARANTEE a fantastic life is there, in just 165 pages. AND I guarantee YOU can be the message as it is intended to be.

If you would like, you can send me a private message and I will be happy to share my experience, strength, and hope, and how the AA program renewed my life.

RDBplus3