Notices

Election Day?!

Old 11-04-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Election Day?!

My wife and I were just musing how Election Day would cause panic in the past with the suspension of booze sales. No worries today. She's even talking about hitting the polls!
Old 11-04-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

They suspend booze sales on election day there? What are the elections for - ( It's different over here, so apologies for not knowing) x
Old 11-04-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

doh! thanks for reminding me. I went out for breakfast and was going to vote on the way home. Well I didn't have my wallet - I had to drive home to get it then drive back to pay my bill. After looking for it, I realized I stashed it under the driver's seat when I went hunting yesterday. Wasted gas added to the price of breakfast. Then I forgot to stop at the polls on the way home.
My next order of business before I get into finally staining deck after no rain for a couple days.
I never knew they closed booze places on election day. What's the diff? If they'd rather than drink than vote then they shouldn't be allowed to vote anyway.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
doh! thanks for reminding me. I went out for breakfast and was going to vote on the way home. Well I didn't have my wallet - I had to drive home to get it then drive back to pay my bill. After looking for it, I realized I stashed it under the driver's seat when I went hunting yesterday. Wasted gas added to the price of breakfast. Then I forgot to stop at the polls on the way home.
My next order of business before I get into finally staining deck after no rain for a couple days.
I never knew they closed booze places on election day. What's the diff? If they'd rather than drink than vote then they shouldn't be allowed to vote anyway.
You went hunting yesterday and had all this happen today? Ain't karma a wonderful thing
Old 11-04-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

They don't close them in all states. It goes back to old days when corrupt politicians would buy "drinks for everybody!" in an effort to buy votes.

Now they just spend billions of $ on negative ad campaigns...

I wish we lived in a world in which that money was spent on helping people. I'd sure vote for someone who committed their campaign millions to creating positive projects!
Old 11-04-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
They don't close them in all states. It goes back to old days when corrupt politicians would buy "drinks for everybody!" in an effort to buy votes.

I wish we lived in a world in which that money was spent on helping people. I'd sure vote for someone who committed their campaign millions to creating positive projects!
Over here everyone complains about politicians but only about 40% bother to vote and it's not like they have to go far - within half a mile for each area.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, I walked a mile each way to vote today.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

They used to close the liquor stores here on election day as well and it used to **** me off. That and the dreaded Sunday wait until noon to be able to buy alcohol. I don't miss those feelings at all.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We can't even buy liquor on Sundays! You can buy beer and wine after noon, but no liquor... Texas has bizarre laws.

Chiffon - this is what's called mid-term elections. Each state has different stuff going on. Texas is voting in new governor (FINALLY...Rick Perry has been in there for 14 years!) and a senate race.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Im trying to get get motivated to go vote today too. Its big for us my state that are involved in the union. New contracts for the big 3 next year, talks of strikes, looks like they want to take even more away from us. Our current governor is causing major issues for our contract, it's time for him to go. Fingers crossed. So Im going to put on my Union sweatshirt and go to the polls. lol Then I will take my dogs to the self dog wash and give them baths..big day off!
Old 11-04-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just went but it is soooo dissapointing because I feel it is like picking between AIDS or Cancer... Which one do you prefer.

I always just bought me booze the day before. Silly rule in my opinion.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Voted today - hope others do too regardless of their politics.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

ha! ya know, I didn't even think of it. Schools here are closed here too, so my son and i are about to walk to the polls. I was planning on getting some soda for later tonight. I think I'm going to make popcorn and have some soda.....try that out....like a normal person. That'll be interesting.

But now that you mention that the liquor stores are closed, I just KNOW my husband stocked up yesterday. I wish he forgot but I know he didn't. Uhg. Me sober + him with an entire bottle in his system = annoying.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
We can't even buy liquor on Sundays! You can buy beer and wine after noon, but no liquor... Texas has bizarre laws.

Chiffon - this is what's called mid-term elections. Each state has different stuff going on. Texas is voting in new governor (FINALLY...Rick Perry has been in there for 14 years!) and a senate race.
Thanks - i have NO clue what govs and senators are was forced to do a year of politics at my first year at uni and i hated it then and still do - but thanks xxx
Old 11-04-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post

Yeah but you got Bobby Ewing... just don't die in the shower, coz you come back 4 years later with a new haircut x x
Old 11-04-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post

!

This!!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Not being able to buy a 24 pack with my deli sandwich was a real source of consternation with me when I was a young man.

The place I lived had elections for seemingly everything (referenda for traffic lights, or so it seemed), so my girlfriend (now my wife) would drive me 10 miles to a neighboring county.

That kind of behavior made all the sense in the world to me at the time.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chiffon View Post
You went hunting yesterday and had all this happen today? Ain't karma a wonderful thing
karma would have been wonderful if that deer had one more visible antler point

the morning happened exactly like I envisioned it the night before when I went to bed - it happened exactly as I saw it except for the deer was not legal. I practiced everything in my mind the night before.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Each Election Day, I try to do something fun with my "I Voted" sticker on Facebook. So here is something fun for my other online world.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I Voted for the Winner...........Sober Recovery!