Notices

First post, umpteenth attempt

Old 11-04-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First post, umpteenth attempt

So anyway, I’m 32 and have been an alcoholic probably since I was about 20. My pattern has been more of binge drinking at weekends and the odd weekday and then taking days to recover and missing work and all sorts due to the terrible hangovers.

As a slight aside, I would very much see the smoking as going hand in hand with drinking so that’s why I’m more inclined to do the two at the same time. In the past, any major period of sobriety for me has almost always been accompanied by not smoking. The last time I put a big period of sobriety under my belt was during 2012 when I went from 31 December 2011 to 19 December 2012 without drinking and I stopped smoking for the same period from 7 January 2012. I hope to recreate that period now.

With this attempt I hope I have just now put out my last cigarette and I’m on day 2 of not drinking.

The biggest challenges for me will be evenings when I’m out and about and get the urge to stop at the pub to drink or after football matches and events when everyone else will be heading to the pub and I will have to just say that no I can’t go as I’m trying to quit drinking. I have been seeing a counsellor for the past year as my best friend committed suicide around this time last year and this led me into a very rapid downward spiral which included my own suicide attempt but my point is that during our meetings a few months ago even the idea of just saying to people that I have problem with drink horrified me, whereas she has helped get around that and now I feel confident that if the situation arises I can tell friends and acquaintances that I’m trying to quit and therefore won’t be joining them for a drink.

That’s only barely touching on my issues and I hope to post more here and hopefully that will be while staying sober.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cilldara
Old 11-04-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Cilldara! It sounds like your counselor has been very helpful to you...that's great. We are here to support you in any way we can. I've never smoked, but from what I've heard it can be extremely difficult to quit. Has your counselor advised you to quit drinking and smoking at the same time? I'm asking because whenever I try to tackle my drinking at the same time as some other major problem (weight loss or whatever), it's my sobriety that suffers. Take good care, and thanks for posting.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, didn't realise it was 8 and a half years ago when I joined this forum!

Thanks folks. She's not specifically an addiction counsellor and while she has been very helpful with encouraging me to change my patterns and practices, she doesn't really advise either way. In my own past experience, my resolve is generally stronger when doing both at the same time. We identified that in my head the two are very much linked and it does seem to be the better way to go for me.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

2 posts in 8.5 years Perhaps sign in and post and interact more - is the way to go? I know this forum has been a lifeline for me, these past few weeks x
Old 11-04-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Cilldara Scottish 32 yo with a london accent here just want to say well done bud

2 days is fantastic stoping smoking is awesome

Stay close and keep reading & sharing

well done again Cilldara
Old 11-04-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Cilldara, welcome to SR.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back to SR, Cilldara. Congratulations on your decision to stop drinking and on Day 2.

I echo Chiffon - read and post here much more often - there is always someone here who wants to see you succeed and there is nothing quite like feeling that you are not alone in this.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi.
My opinion regarding quitting smoking along with alcohol is EASY DOES IT as for me it would be a very large burden to try to accomplish. If you can handle it go for it.
My road to sobriety was bumpy until I surrendered to the fact that I could not drink in safety. Then the work and self changes needed to be addressed for the long term.
Try to keep posting and reading here and perhaps attend AA meetings for the tools you might need.

BE WELL
Old 11-04-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Cilldara!!
Old 11-04-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Cilldara! You will find lots of support here. It really helps to reach out when you need advice or someone to talk to (there is a chat option which was really helpful at first). There are also some great books on the reading list. One I loved was (sorry for the bad title) It's called "Alcohol Lied To Me" by Craig Beck.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome folks.

I did well to make through last night. I got hit with my own major failings regarding some voluntary sports stuff I do which is going to come to a head very shortly. I've left a lot of people down with what I have and haven't been doing regarding the administration of the club. If it gets out the club will take a major hit. I really just can't handle either trying to sort it out or the thoughts of what the consequences will be.

I'm really stressed out but at least on the way home last night I only stopped to buy cigarettes and not beer.