Notices

Halloween

Old 11-03-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Halloween

I decided last minute to go to a Halloween party this past weekend. I decided to stay only for an hour and didn't really bother to dress up. I knew this shin dig was really just an excuse for people to get drunk together and not so much about celebrating Halloween with friends and family.

Come to think of it, I am not really quite sure I went at all.

Anyway, I was getting ready to leave when I saw a woman fall back into the sliding glass door. I reached out to grab her and asked if she was okay. She looked fairly intoxicated and explained to me very clearly (without a slur) that she just drank too much. I asked her if she had a friend to help her and she said no but that she would be fine.

What blew my mind (besides how well she was able to communicate to me) about the whole event was that everyone there did not pay notice or care about this woman whatsoever. She fell hard into a glass door and knocked over a chair. Instead, they all continued to drink and party around her.

I saw a lot of myself in that woman, as I too have been in the same situation as well. And just like her, there was no one around to come take care of me either. We really do need to help ourselves because I think by the time we get to that point of becoming a stumbling drunk, people begin to expect it out of us. They won't respond to the incident, they just think, "Oh that's how Suzy always gets when she drinks. No big deal." But it is a big deal.

Needless to say, I got the heck out of there and kicked myself the whole way home for even going in the first place. I don't belong there anymore.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi New Hope

Its an awakening experience to see ourselves in others once we sober up

Nice of you to help

Good job on the realisation of that situation

Well done on staying sober you done exellent
Old 11-03-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, in some of my previous circles of friends, doing something stupid while drunk that resulted injury/damage to property/etc. was actually considered to be somewhat cool. And a favorite pasttime was getting drunk and talking about all the other stupid things we had done in the past while drunk, all the while hoping something even stupider would happen this time to talk about next time....

A few of those people are still my friends, but the scene is not one I want to be part of anymore. Kudos for getting out while the getting was good.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Yes, the spotlight is illuminated when we become sober on those who are not. Pride goeth before a fall I suppose... all puns aside.

Had an issue with corners of walls in my house when intoxicated. They kept jumping out at and bumping into me.

Great post - always nice to hear success stories!! I need to read more of them...

fly
Old 11-03-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The clarity of sober eyes is amazing.

Glad you stayed strong while at the party, newhope.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
And a favorite pasttime was getting drunk and talking about all the other stupid things we had done in the past while drunk, all the while hoping something even stupider would happen this time to talk about next time.....
Very funny...and so true.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing this newhope

D