Notices

And the beat goes on...

Old 11-03-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

And the beat goes on...

It is unbelievable how many years I have been coming and going on this site. How many starts and stops have I done in this period? Successes and failures are cyclic for me. The months of drinking unfortunately exceed the months of sobriety. So many slumbers broken in the middle of the night by alcohol contradictions. Broken promises made to myself evaporate with the daylight and are dismissed with a bottle of booze. The cycle then continues on and on.

Then that one day reappears. You know the one that is filled with new resolve and hope. That is the day the bottle will lose. The epiphany has opened your sealed eyes and the commitment is remade. Come hell or high water, this time you wash your hands of the addiction. All is well...until that deep inner urge arises in a few days. Your resolve is pretty strong so it is successfully quelled. Then, nothing. No urges. No strong desire to drink. It becomes distant and quiet. At this point, thoughts of alcohol are weak and powerless. It is a great feeling—until, without warning, the surge overwhelms you with the need to drink, an impulse to get that high and to hell with the consequences. The battle rages between maintaining sobriety or succumbing to the drink, to which you know will pull you deep into the addictive cycle. You are at the fork in the road. To which direction do you choose?

This, my fellow addicts, is the story of my life encapsulated in a few sentences. I display this, not to paint a dismal picture, but to show a scenario that many may relate. It is not a beautiful tale of blissful success (to which many are so privileged to truthfully tell) but a drama of a life-long battle to overcome addiction. The road to sobriety is a rocky, pothole-filled, and treacherous path with very few direction signs. Only a distant bright light on the horizon guides my feet.

(Sober 15 days)
Old 11-03-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Creekryder View Post
The road to sobriety is a rocky, pothole-filled, and treacherous path with very few direction signs. Only a distant bright light on the horizon guides my feet.

(Sober 15 days)
Hi.
In a way your correct. I was in that cycle for a couple years also mainly because I did things my way instead of following a path of success millions of others followed. That was before the internet which is like a God to so many looking for easy ways out of a difficult situation. This staying sober is constant work and change I learned in AA.
The result of continued drinking is a more miserable life each day.
I bit the bullet for short term pain in exchange for feeling comfortable in my own skin most of the time.

BE WELL
Old 11-03-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 15 days

Keep up the good work

Old 11-03-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's so good to see you again. I've missed you.

I have faith that you can and will triumph over this addiction.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you are back on the path, creekryder. 15 days is a great new beginning.

Hope you keep SR close - read and post often; SR is the 24/7/365 option that is there/here for you if you reach that fork in the road again.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 15 days!!!
Old 11-03-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Happy to see you are back, Creekryder
Old 11-03-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you back
I really believe our stories are not over until it's over.

I came back from years of all day everyday drinking and nearly dying in the process.

I gave my heart and soul to changing my life and myself. It worked

It's never too late to start writing chapter two, P.

D
Old 11-03-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you Creekryder well done on your 15 days it really is amazing my friend

Congrats again bud
Old 11-03-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
orangutan

Ohhhh how I relate to that.

Well done on 15 days , I hope you get many more.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great post Creekryder, and very relatable for me. Hope to see you here posting more often. I like your gentle way of describing some harsh truths.

Earlyriser
Old 11-03-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

Originally Posted by Creekryder View Post

Then that one day reappears. You know the one that is filled with new resolve and hope. That is the day the bottle will lose. The epiphany has opened your sealed eyes and the commitment is remade.

feeling good and thinking I was over it or this time I would do better because of ................was always my biggest hurdle I failed there so many times. I did not realise the fight was still on.

It was only after I joined SR after a few days sober - having urges and feeling tormented that I realised acceptance is the key- this pattern will never change- so change what you can. It gave me a sense of freedom even in the midst of a physical withdrawal.