Notices

New here, because of new love

Old 11-02-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, because of new love

Hi everyone, I need support on this journey so I'm new

Have done it all. Drinking in the morning, before work, on work, on the way home from work. Puked on an airplaine, fell asleep at the airport almost missing my transfer. Been so drunk I couldn't walk, fell and almost broke my neck. Black outs. Sex with strangers, cheating and lying. Lonely days on the sofa drinking for days. Wasted money, people and oppertunities.

All of this for one thing. I can't put down the bottle when I pick it up.

I've been reading here for a year, and now I must join to confess and make a promise, like I did to my new boyfriend. He finally found out I have a problem and forced me to show my hiding places in the house. Of all the idiotic things above nothing could compare to the shame I felt that moment I showed him. Shame, but I guess also releif. This could be a new chance.

He sais he stills loves me, but that I had to stop. And I promised him, and I promise you. Now is day 3
Old 11-02-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome dallow and congrats on day 3. We all have reasons to quit, I found that to make it work long term I really needed to want it for myself more than anything. It is early though and day 3 is a great accomplishment.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Dallow

Like Scott said I really had to make it for me - do it for yourself, not your boyfriend. You deserve better than what a drinking life will give you

D
Old 11-02-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Love may have got ya started...but it's up to you to finish.
So glad you're here. There are wonderful things happening in sobriety..and at SR.
Stick around.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, incentive is also very important. When I was drunk though I would throw all of my responsibilities out of an analogous window. Others are right to say that it is necessary to hold yourself accountable for your abstinence. You gotta want it and remember you need it.

Don't get me wrong, it is good to have the support and help from someone who cares about you. Someone who is conscience in helping you stay accountable can be good. For me it was when I finally opened up to my mom that I was an alcoholic.

Again though, get better for yourself. It's not a selfish act.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome congrats on 3 days!
Old 11-03-2014, 12:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Dallow, all the things you mentioned ring true with me as well. Lonely days on the sofa drinking for days was my life for a long time. I bear mental and physical scars from my drinking. Ruined many a relationship and scared off new love interests when they saw I had a serious problem.

I am sober now but just dealing with the damage booze brought to my life. Sounds like you have a supportive partner in this so that can be key in recovery. I waited too long to address my drinking and I drove so many people close to me away that I am plagued by loneliness in sobriety. No one like to be around someone who drinks until black-out which I finally realized.

Welcome to the site.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Dallow! I agree, you should do it for yourself but nothing wrong with getting some inspiration and motivation from a new relationship. It won't be easy but you can do it.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Been there. I'm on day 15 so I don't have any real advice, just support. Glad you came to this site to cleanse your mind and heart. It isn't easy to admit to losing control of a substance that is so widely and socially accepted. Just know, life can't only get better for us. We need to stick it out when the times get tough because as a wise man once said, "If you're going through hell, keep going."
Old 11-03-2014, 01:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Life CAN only get better for us* haha.... huge typo. Sowwwwwy.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 3 Dallow like others have said i had to give it up no if buts or maybes when the acceptance sunk in it became a lot easier
Old 11-03-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, Dallow. Glad you found us
Old 11-03-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Dallow!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 11-03-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 11-03-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Dallow,

From your post it seems like you really need to make significant changes in your life. If a new love is the cause of your desire to get sober then I’m all for it, because it helps to have supportive people around in the early days. Just realize it will take more than a new love to stay sober. I’ve heard it said frequently on SR that if love were enough to keep someone from drinking then there would be no need for this website. The truth is that at the end of the day you have to really want if for yourself.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Dallow-

You've found a great site for support, which can make your goals a little easier to reach.

Lusher
Old 11-03-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Way to go on making it 3 days! It is tough...but so worth it! You said that once you pick up the bottle, you can't put it down...come to us the next time you want to pick it up! We can help you! Do you have any other support you can turn to?
Old 11-03-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Dallow View Post
Hi everyone, I need support on this journey so I'm new

And I promised him, and I promise you. Now is day 3
Glad you're here = Welcome!!!
I had to promise myself and try one day at a time....I had broken my word for many, many years.

A year of reading post - sounds like you are highly motivated!!!! Awesome!
So happy your with us

fly
Old 11-03-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Realising my life

A very warm welcome to you, Dallow

I understand all about losing control after the first drink - once I hit the wine I was gone - but I think that makes me lucky. You see, for me and maybe for you, too, the real cravings don't hit until I've had that first one. If I can resist the first I'm fine, resisting a second would be nigh on impossible.

Knowing and accepting that has changed my life
Old 11-03-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congrats on day 3!!!