Notices

Simply an introduction

Old 11-02-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Simply an introduction

I'm your typical text book progressing alcoholic. Started with basic addictions. Anything to distract you from what is going on. Video games, smoking the weed, cigarettes, magazines, the WWW, poker, buying things, hobby obsession de jour. drinking.

It started out when I joined the restaurant industry. The alcoholics swarm there. As a kid, all I ever heard about was all the fun they were having at the bar or house party the night before. They were young, and could still handle it. Many of them were college kids, and not all of them were alcoholics. The alcoholics did stick out though. One guy I worked with even before I was 18 took down about a litre of vodka every morning before management arrived. He also stashed about 6 beers for his shift, and frequently had a final session at the bar after his shift before he went home to do who knows what. I liked him. He was funny and worked hard.

about 15 years later, I'm a post college alcoholic. I hold it down. I have the cash I need. I have friends, I have family. I have goals. I travel. Life is good.

Its starts to slip. The drinking becomes whats important. I get a dui. I move to keep my job. My father passes. I start morning drinking very soon after.

I think I have a hold on it, and I go to the doctor for help. I get some benzo, and some other drug for brain stabilization while I go sober. End up drinking and doing RXs. Waking up after 3 day benders puking and shaking at work. fraid for my job, my relationships, myself.

Ive been trying to get sober for about 8 months now. Today is day 4.

Everytime I get on here I will try and post something that makes me happy to be sober. Maybe not in this thread, but whatever. Here is my day 4:

I am happy to not throw up when I try to brush my teeth in the morning.

Thanks for reading!
Old 11-02-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Welcome to SR SoIGotThatGoing. Prepare to post a lot. Sobriety results in many, many happy things.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome and congrats on four days sober. That's a good start.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

Great job on Day 4!! You'll find loads of support here!!
Old 11-02-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey SoIGotThatGoing,

Your story is a bit like how I was. Life was good, and so was the booze- then it wasn't.

It's clear that you recognise the issue and it seems as if you're taking steps to improve things. That's a huge step.

I was in a job where alcohol was the norm and the drinkers took full advantage. I watched several co-workers fall from grace, but I thought I was different. I was good with my alcohol.

It took two DUI crashes and one DUI arrest before I began to wake up. A short time later I learned that my health was also being affected, so I finally had to come to terms with myself; throw in the towel and admit that I had a real problem.

You've found a great site and I think you'll find a lot of support here. I look forward to seeing you around!

Lusher
Old 11-02-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, SoI....your story sounds something like mine, and yes it definitely keeps getting worse.

I'm so glad you've made the commitment! Four days is awesome, it really is. Do you have a plan for keeping it going? Poke around the various sub-forums here, there's a ton of advice and support. There's even a daily gratitude thread or two someplace if you want to post your happy thoughts.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome,SoIGotThatGoing, to SR. You will find an abundance of support, understanding and encouragement here.

Congratulations on 4 sober days and your decision to stop drinking.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My sobriety plan is to tackle my smaller, but procrastinated goals. Daily I am going to commit to one physical, and one mental challenge a day. I will also work on bigger goals, such as a new career idea. And I'm going to get back in touch with as many family member and old friends as possible. Some of them are probably where I am now.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! I am glad to see that you are here and on day 4!
Old 11-02-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 4 Sigtg

Congrats friend
Old 11-02-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sobriety.

Bunnez
Old 11-02-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator