Notices

Difference Between Alcoholic and Dependance

Old 11-02-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Difference Between Alcoholic and Dependance

Firstly I have drank for 4 weeks today.

The reason for this was after a particular heavy session of spirits I attempted suicide and was admitted to a secure mental unit. I have been out for 2 weeks now and I am back working, exercising and generally recovering.

I have had the occasional moment of weakness where I felt like drinking but these have passed as quickly as they have come.

I have tried to note the things that I did with alocohol and came up with the following.

1. I was drinking spirits (high alcohol content to get drunk quickly at least 4 times a week)
2. I was hiding these bottles in the house (empty usually after I had drank them)
3. I was pretending I hadnt drunk when quite obviously I had...
4. I would drink heavily in social situations, usually drinking a half bottle of spirits BEFORE I went out to social events
5. I would try and drink alocohol the morning after a heavy nite as I didnt want to be sober
6. I would drink secretly around my children (this i regret badly)

This has been going on for a few years till i have decided enough which was after this event.

My detox was awful, couldnt sleep for days in the hospital, shaking hands, sweating constantly, heart palputations, depression and anxiety...

I am a recovering alcoholic.. I havent been able to admit it yet?

What you think?
Old 11-02-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do normal drinkers do anything on that list?

For me those behaviours are not "normal", people who don't have an issue with alcohol don't hide their drinking, drink in the morning, and pretend they haven't drank.

There's probably not a lot of difference between "alcoholic" and "dependance", alcohol was ingrained in my life so much that I'd almost have a panic attack over thoughts of taking it out of my life, so it was one in the same thing for me.

Whatever I called it, I needed to part ways with alcohol on a permanent basis, it was doing me no favours either way!!

Welcome to the Forum, you'll find loads of support here!!
Old 11-02-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's up to you to decide what you want to call it, if anything.

But, does it really matter? Alcohol is affecting your life in a negative way, so why not stay away from it?

Congratulations on 4 weeks sober and I'm sorry that you have gone through such a difficult time.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It really doesn't make any difference whether you're an alcoholic or dependent on alcohol. Either way, it's bad for you.

Did you mean to say you "haven't drank in four weeks"? Congrats on four weeks sober!
Old 11-02-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by commander View Post
"now and I am back working, exercising and generally recovering."

"I am a recovering alcoholic.. I havent been able to admit it yet?

What you think?"
Welcome to SR commander. Well done with 2 weeks sober.

Being a recovered alcoholic/alcohol dependent person is all that matters for now. For urges:
http://www.cbtrecovery.org/recognizeresisturges.htm: "Distract yourself. Do something. Go out. Call someone. Get absorbed in a task. Exercise. -----Remind yourself of the benefits of resisting and the long term costs of giving in."
Here at SR, is a great place for support on your wellness journey.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Having done a lot of those same things, I finally learned that whether or not I fully accept the term 'alcoholic', my consistent patterns of use and behavior when I allow alcohol into my life and into my body are destructive to me, to those around me, and generally detrimental to my fulfillment of being

So the labels no longer matter to me.

Sobriety is my choice.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey commander, I just wanted to say welcome! Also, congrats on the two weeks of being sober.

From reading what you've posted, it does appear that alcohol might be causing some issues, so it's great that you found your way here, where there's a lot of support.

I look forward to seeing you around.

Lusher
Old 11-02-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Commander welcome to SR you pretty much just did

I am alcoholic nearly 16 months sober being alcoholic for me is acceptance and all i know is sobrierty is an upgrade of self it keeps getting better stick around with us through your early sobriety were a friendly bunch and youl meet nothing but support

Well done on getting and staying sober well done on finding us and more importantly well done you
Old 11-02-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I'm an alcoholic if I drink and I drank like you 'cept it was every day and not so quickly-I just liked to be buzzed all the time. Doesn't matter what you or I call it. 35 years of fighting it tells me enough--I cannot drink..at all...so I don't. Do you want to change the ending of this story? I do and want it for you too.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

is that your first detox ? or have you been before ?

many people i know have repeated that sort of process time and time again, as they battle to accept life without booze
its easy to give up when bad things happen but how long does it last ? i would always give up drink when i was in trouble but the problem i had was given enough time the fear and the pain from the trouble would deminish in my mind
the idea maybe if i drank weaker booze it wouldnt get me drunk fast like last time would come in
i didnt realize all i would do is just drink more of the weak booze till i end up as drunk as i would if i had drank strong stuff

its a cunning illness to me and how it tricks our minds the pain we cause to love ones soon is forgotten about with a bit of time until of course we try the drink again and end up with the same results

for me i except i am an alcoholic as its the only name around for it that makes any sense to me
i can not drink alcohol like normal people can it has nothing to do with my child hood or how fast or slow i drink its to do with me and how my mind and body are
there is something missing in me that normal drinkers have that i dont have

just like someone who is alergic to nuts or dairy products they have to go through live not having them and they live good lives
i dont feel robbed either or cheated as thats the way it is
i am lucky i only have a drink problem as it could be a 1000 times worse, i could be disabled, not have limbs, or have a hideous disfigurement, i could have terminal cancer with no hope of a cure

so for me i am quite lucky i only have this problem in life and its is a problem that can be treated if we want it
Old 11-02-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Welcome

If you are questioning. What part of your behavior is nonalcoholic?
Old 11-02-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, commander. It's a great place to get answers to the hard questions. Funny thing is, the answers usually come from yourself.

Congrats on your sober time.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's awesome you stopped Commander

welcome to SR

D
Old 11-02-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EndGame

The terms 'alcohol dependence' and 'alcohol use disorder' are used for the purpose of rendering a diagnosis for someone who is suffering, and whose life is suffering, due to his use of alcohol, and who can't seem to help himself. The term 'alcoholic' is commonly used to describe someone who is suffering, and whose life is suffering, due to his use of alcohol, and who can't seem to help himself.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for your support and kind words.

I hope I can stay sober cause I know I wont be alive to see next xmas if not

But like I say im happy and sober at the moment
Old 11-03-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Really makes little difference - if alcohol use inhibits our ability to live life - happy, joyous and freely - I have learned from others the labels are irrelevant. But, in the first 30 days or so I drilled down into a lot of things. Found my brain on overdrive in a bad way....

Glad you are here today, that's what matters.

Welcome
Old 11-03-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congrats on your 4 weeks!
Old 11-03-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

It's been my experience that people who ask about the distinction between an alcoholic and those who are alcohol dependent often have, as a motivation for doing so, thoughts of drinking again. I'm not saying that you do, but if you are considering it, that would be a very bad idea.

I assume you are currently being treated for depression and that you were previously self medicating the depression with alcohol. Whatever the case, this is a time to get the factors that contributed to the suicide attempt under control. Any alcohol use now will just complicate things enormously.

All the best to you going forward.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well I know I did 4 weeks of drinking in one day more than once myself.

Recovering, alcoholic and all of the other 'labels' are just that, labels.
If you want to better your life, stop consuming alcohol if you can't control it. Then you can call yourself whatever you want. You don't have to explain it or make excuses to anyone. Just say I quit drinking. You can add that I feel much better since I quit.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The question is rhetorical.

I have yet to meet a non alcoholic who has been forced to ponder whether or not they are alcoholic.