Notices

"High Functioning"

Old 11-02-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Ellay good post and congrats on thirty ish days. I thought I was high functioning as I had a house, a job, a car, etc. but I wasn't functioning at all unless you count waking up in the morning and breathing.

SoIGotThatGoing, low functioning? Could have been me if I had gotten fired from my job for smelling like alcohol, which I often did. Or from excessive absenteeism which was often the case. Cascade effect. Living from paycheck to paycheck I would have first lost my car and then the house. Or I could have gotten a DUI. And lost my car, struggled along with work. They call it the "yets". None of those bad things have happened to me - yet. But if I continued drinking, they sure could.

So thanks Ellay for the reminder of why I don't drink. And keep going!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Nice work Ellay - Keep going, it only gets better!!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread. I relate so much.

The "functioning" part kept me from admitting the truth. Only the fact that I was getting physically sick in a way I couldn't ignore finally made me decide to stop drinking.

I look back and I see all the other things that were adding up. Missed mornings from work, neglecting smaller and progressively bigger things at my job, gaining a reputation as a big drinker at social events ... it was a ticking time-bomb.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

I skipped this stage of alcoholism and proceeded directly to what I will call the "pretending to function" stage :p That's about all I could call it. I would leave the house in the morning and think, well, I'm technically wearing clothes and it's still Tuesday, so work can deal with me as I am and when I get there.

What is wrong with me. I don't know how you guys managed to actually function. Ugh.

(Today I'm wearing *earrings and blush*. Like I *give a ***** or something. )
Old 11-11-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Nice work on your 30 days Ellay!

I used that term "highly functioning alcoholic" to describe myself just yesterday. I guess I never really thought about it much before. I just knew I was able to wake up in the morning, hold down a successful job, support my family, spend time with my kids and go to bed at night.

But in reality, I was only functioning at about a 20% level. I did wake up in the morning and go to bed at night but everything in between I performed half-assed. That included drinking on the job, drinking during all time spent with my kids... morning through night, drinking but always "functioning" until I made it to bed time. Pretty sad that I defined my ability to function simply around waking up in the morning and making it to bed time at night.

That's not a way to live. I'm thankful that I'm doing more than just "functioning" today.

Great job again on 30 days Ellay.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ccam1973 View Post
Nice work on your 30 days Ellay!

I used that term "highly functioning alcoholic" to describe myself just yesterday. I guess I never really thought about it much before. I just knew I was able to wake up in the morning, hold down a successful job, support my family, spend time with my kids and go to bed at night.

But in reality, I was only functioning at about a 20% level. I did wake up in the morning and go to bed at night but everything in between I performed half-assed. That included drinking on the job, drinking during all time spent with my kids... morning through night, drinking but always "functioning" until I made it to bed time. Pretty sad that I defined my ability to function simply around waking up in the morning and making it to bed time at night.

That's not a way to live. I'm thankful that I'm doing more than just "functioning" today.

Great job again on 30 days Ellay.

I'm sure many people relate to this (including myself)... But what would be interesting is what others actually saw. To ourselves we think we are functioning, spending time in the office and with our kids etc etc ... but I wonder what we actually looked like on the outside, the side that others see ... I'm sure in some cases we certainly didn't look like we were "functioning" well
Old 11-11-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by helpimalive View Post
What is wrong with me. I don't know how you guys managed to actually function. Ugh.
By pretending to function! Don't be so hard on yourself, helpimalive. You are doing far better than you give yourself credit for!
Old 11-11-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I used to be high functioning. See, I can drink AND maintain my job, marriage, etc...And, I'd think that was just fine and continued for many years.

Now, no way; I'm just an empty shell who keeps relapsing over and over. Last week I missed two days of work for being hungover. Yesterday my boss discussed my recent "under-performance" with me. These two things have never happened to me before, so I know I need to seriously heed these added warnings and make changes.

So, here's to Day 1, again.