Notices

Tips for fighting the obsession

Old 11-02-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tips for fighting the obsession

Good Morning,
I am new to the recovery room. I have been a member of AA since May 2014 and had a successful first 87 days. I have relapsed on an off ever since. I have set my new sobriety date for Oct 27. I am really struggling to battle the obsession.....the voice in my head that starts and convinces me to have a drink. I was able to win twice this past week and have stayed sober. If anyone has any tips on how to battle this phenomenon or can share their own story I would be grateful.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

In the early days, changing my routines really helped. When do you usually drink? Try to plan to be doing something very different at that point. Drive home from work a different way, shop at different stores. It helps to break the habit/obsession aspect of alcoholism.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

choxco, your already doing the important work of addressing the prob. thats great! AA often mentions the "1 day at a time" approach. This helps, but I realized it wasn't enough for me. I figure this approach to be most valuable for the first couple of months, but not a way to live my life, as if enduring the absence of drink.

i would advise you to look at your relapse as a signal to do things a little different this time. try supplementing the AA with other recovery info. If you hear anyone advise that their way is the only way, avoid them. they are wrong. In AA, one of the slogans is "take the best, leave the rest". I apply this to all recovery techniques and info i run into. i continue to research.

in the end, i know that my sobriety hinges on changing my lifestyle and some of the harmful ways of thinking that lead me to think self-medicating is a valid option. i know now that change takes some effort and practice. im willing to put in the time, cause the old way was just not working.

great to see you here!
Old 11-02-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Anna. Everything has to change. Stay busy. Make a list of things to do when the thoughts come.

Come here. Read the posts.

You did it one time, you can do it again. I think I had to completely accept that I'd never be able to drink again before it stuck.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is what I did at the beginning because it is the trigger of obsession that seemed to get me every time.

1. Tell people - doctor, family members, closest friends
2. Get help - AA/NA/Therapist - going to meetings at the beginning definitely helps with the isolation that using sets up.
3. Go to rehab - the best thing I've ever done for myself.
4. Commit to being honest with yourself - this means learning to love the whole person, the good and the bad and taking good care - take a long loving look inside.
5. At the beginning, don't go near any person, place or thing that could trigger an obsession.
6. Get some new hobbies right away: train your brain (do math, luminosity, crosswords etc.) Play music, read, deep clean and decorate a room etc.
7. Go to bed and either sleep or if you can't do that learn to meditate and calm down - I spent countless hours in bed this time -
8. Have a bath and light candles.
9. Love someone else - do nice things anonymously and watch how the universe pays it back or forward.
10. Help others in any way you can without giving yourself away.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
waking down

People call that the AV or Alcoholic Voice. I personified mine and treated it like a possession rather than an obsession. That way I could shout him down because it really wasn't me that wanted to drink. If you don't want to drink and some voice in your head is telling you to drink, then tell it to take a hike. I'm ten months sober now and mine is pretty much gone except for rare occasions, but I just call him a liar and tell him to shut up.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am not sure if this will help you, but I have replaced alcohol with tea. Just having something to drink has helped me quite a bit and seems to quiet my AV down.
If I really get in the mood to drink, I leave the house and do something else.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Choxco welcome to SR well done on finding us youl meet nothing but support
Old 11-02-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Choxco View Post
Good Morning,
I am new to the recovery room. I have been a member of AA since May 2014 and had a successful first 87 days. I have relapsed on an off ever since. I have set my new sobriety date for Oct 27. I am really struggling to battle the obsession.....the voice in my head that starts and convinces me to have a drink. I was able to win twice this past week and have stayed sober. If anyone has any tips on how to battle this phenomenon or can share their own story I would be grateful.
You may find the information in the attached link helpful in battling the AV.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html
Old 11-02-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lots of good advice has already been shared from the previous posts,
That voice which tells us go ahead have a drink, it will be alright this time...it's a lie...
I started a journal, now I look back and see how my thinking was being affected by the addiction to alcohol and the compulsion to pick up the drink...do whatever works best for yourself not to pick up the drink, no matter what the voice/thought/AV, whatever we call it, whispers.
Take care,
Bloss
Old 11-02-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I highly recommend picking up the book Living Sober, which can be purchased at a lot of AA meetings, or Amazon, and then following every single suggestion in it. I completely believe that if someone does that, it will be impossible to drink, and actually be pretty easy. Only tough part would be to not just read, but follow through with the things the book suggests, which are all incredibly easy and do-able. All it really takes an open mind, and lots of willingness.

I believe this journey can be as easy or as tough as we choose it to be. Do nothing but put down the drink, and it will be an agonizing ride. Take a few suggestions that sound good to us, and it gets a little easier. Do everything and anything suggested, even if (especially if!) it cuts against our grain, and not drinking becomes a breeze. IMO, of course, but I'm pretty sure I'm right .
Old 11-02-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Choxco!!

A change in my routines and daily activities I found broke that cycle and helped to deal with those cravings, but also support was key, when my mind was telling me to drink, having something outside of myself to give me a second opinion was invaluable!!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The obsession doesn't go away with a drink. It only get worse. So you are better off battling through it. Stay strong.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here Choxco

I just decided no matter how insistent the obsession got, I couldn't drink again if I wanted change....and I really wanted change.

It's not easy to do that - but there's always support here - welcome

D
Old 11-04-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Check out AVRT
Addictive Voice Recognition Technique. Online crash course
Old 11-04-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had to accept, truly accept, that I could never drink again if I wanted to have a decent life at all. Once I accepted that simple fact it was a lot easier to dismiss the obsession.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Tea helps me in the evening. The great thing about tea is you can drink as much as you like and not wake up with a hangover from hell and your face in the toilet bowl every morning.

I find Anna is right, do something unexpected, I went fishing for the first time in my life on Monday and loved it. I didnt catch anything, but just doing something besides thinking about alcohol helped.

Meditation is very powerful, try to see the actions that lead you to slip and play them like a film real. Let down your mental guard and imagine buying the alcohol, taking that first drink, then more and more and then imagine the next day. The pain, sickness and the arguments with loved ones you had promised you wouldn't drink again too.

I have found combining these together is such a powerful deterrent that alcohol is coming nowhere near me again.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree. Google AVRT. It really helped me in recognizing the addiction voice. Also, try "urge surfing".
Old 11-04-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

What is kept me sober for four months is very simple. I had to break it down to one simple rule. I never want to be hung over again and I'm never changing my mind. Even small amounts of alcohol, a small amount to me like six beers, gave me a horrible hangover that lasted a week. I never knew how long they actually lasted because I drank every day but when I stopped it lasted about a week.

I'm not sure how or why but I've been able to keep that very crystal-clear memory of what a hangover feels like right at the forefront of my mind. When I have been tempted to drink I automatically go to that place of remembering the feelings of hangover and daily withdrawal.

There is no way in hell that drinking would be worth a weeklong hangover. No thank you.

I am a non-drinker now because I do not want hangovers.

Write down the five reasons why you want to stop drinking and read it every day. Then choose one to really focus on. Like I said, mine is the no hangover rule.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
instant

The obsession becomes less problematic the longer you stay sober. I think the most useful technique is to recognise that it is only one part your experience even when it is at it's worst. Pay attention to the things it cannot touch.

Early in recovery i used the moon to remind me of the cyclical nature of experience and increase my awareness that there is an inner stability underneath all the emotions of the "now"