Notices

tempted but prevailed

Old 11-02-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

tempted but prevailed

I was basically just hanging out when my hubby offered me to try a craft beer. He said he got that 6 pack just for me. He was insistent on trying just one. He knows I haven't drank for a while. I told him I have a problem with alcohol. But still, try just one. It won't hurt you he told me. I took a few sips told him it tasted terrible. He tried it and said "my taste buds aren't that dead yet, it tastes ok." Before I got sober, I would drink any beer no matter how horrible. My husband would drink his beer and let me drink the beer for the bottle cap collection. I hope I got through to him and I can dump the rest down the sink.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, glad it was only a few sips but no sips would be better. Just dump the stuff. Dumping it should get through to him.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You should probably have a conversation with your husband regarding support. I'm sure he thought he was being nice but that could have ended entirely different.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know, he has issues with his alcohol too. He hasn't gotten to the point of recognizing his problem. I just couldn't say no to him. I know this will come back to haunt me. I've tried to tell him I have a problem, I don't think he hears what i'm saying. I just have to keep going and not look back
Old 11-02-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a similar issue, my H keeps a bottle of my favorite wine on the counter for me "in case you change your mind." He misses his drinking buddy and the permission it gives him to drink. My grandma used to tell me to tend to my own knitting, and that's what I'm trying to do.

Hope you can find the strength to refuse the next sips. I've learned having even a taste gives him hope. Doesn't make it any easier!
Old 11-02-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It doesn't give him permission to drink. He gives it to himself all the time. At least I know every time I think of having a beer I grab a root beer. Thanks for the advice bernie
Old 11-02-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job on pushing through!!

Might be time to really chat to him that you're serious about this and that you're now a "non drinker"!!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

It sounds like he wants a drinking buddy i think what hes doing is wrong but its sounds hes alcoholic too

this must be very hard and your being very brave

Whenhe sobers up tell him exactly how you feel you can always say no
Old 11-02-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job, Rachinator.

I agree with the others in that your husband may be missing his drinking buddy and that it may be the right time for a heart to heart discussion.

Stay strong, Rach.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just couldn't say no to him.
I would definitely learn to say No Rach.

I had to learn it was ok to put my welfare ahead of others welfare and it was ok if other people were annoyed at me for doing that.

D
Old 11-02-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Rachinator, way to stay strong!
I told him I have a problem with alcohol. But still, try just one. It won't hurt you he told me.
Sounds like a serious conversation might be in order. This type of thing can take your goals off track quickly, and to be honest, do you really want the added temptations?

I went through a similar thing with my girl, so I can appreciate how things can be in this area. Hearing the constant beer being opened and consumed in front of me got old.

Initially I said that I did not expect her to stop because I did, but after a while it started to upset me. I looked at it like there was no support. Luckily we got things all worked out, as she too decided to stop.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hopeful

I just had a close call, myself. I am trying so hard not to give in to my AV and I almost didn't succeed. My husband has really been trying to be supportive of my not drinking and has stopped drinking himself (at least as far as I an tell). Tonight, he was going to the store and he kept asking me, "are you sure you don't need anything?". This seems like an innocent question but, that has been the "pattern" from the past. If he asks often enough, I would often give in and say, "Yeah, why don't you just pick up a six?". Tonight, no matter how many times he asked, I just said no. It was VERY hard and I came close to calling him on the cell phone and telling him to pick something up BUT I DIDN'T. I had a bagel and a cup of coffee and now I'm here. It's hard to stay strong but, with friends like these, we can all do it!
Old 11-02-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is great that we can come here for the support we don't always get from our real world people.

Good for you staying strong, Rachinator.