Notices

I'm Sorry

Old 11-01-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

I'm Sorry

I drank tonight. It was quite conscious. I was with a group of friends at a Halloween costume party. I know I will not drink tomorrow, or the next day, or the next day. After 57 days I will start again.
But I don't see this as a failure, in that it was quite conscious. I'm not saying it was good. And I don't expect any accolades.

I will start again immediately. I suspect it will be difficult to understand such a deliberate act.

It was deliberate.

I'm sorry.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The problem I had with doing that was it reinforced that dream I had to someday control my drinking.

The power of 'last time was ok', can lead to more McDonalds thinking... 'hey! you deserve a break today'

I'm glad nothing bad happened and I'm glad you're recommitting to sobriety, but don't underestimate this thing Razor...you don't control it, it controls you.

D
Old 11-02-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Razor. Are you thinking you can moderate? Did you enjoy drinking?
Glad you are back and posting
Old 11-02-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

With me for many years there was always one more excuse .

There will always be many reasons to keep on drinking but eventually the few but fundamental reasons to stop , stay stopped and never do it again won out .

One more month deliberating if it were a problem or not , one more week , one more day , one more minute ended up just being a continuation of my distress over my procrastination as the time of my life slipped by .

I was miserable with it in my life and i thought i'd be miserable without it , turns out i was wrong

Keep on , m
Old 11-02-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sadly Razor, we can't do the withdrawals for you Be good to yourself x
Old 11-02-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The problem I had with doing that was it reinforced that dream I had to someday control my drinking.

The power of 'last time was ok', can lead to more McDonalds thinking... 'hey! you deserve a break today'

I'm glad nothing bad happened and I'm glad you're recommitting to sobriety, but don't underestimate this thing Razor...you don't control it, it controls you.

D
Yes, I understand.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MavisTheFairy13 View Post
Hi Razor. Are you thinking you can moderate? Did you enjoy drinking?
Glad you are back and posting
No, I don't intend to moderate. I've stopped.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
With me for many years there was always one more excuse .

There will always be many reasons to keep on drinking but eventually the few but fundamental reasons to stop , stay stopped and never do it again won out .

One more month deliberating if it were a problem or not , one more week , one more day , one more minute ended up just being a continuation of my distress over my procrastination as the time of my life slipped by .

I was miserable with it in my life and i thought i'd be miserable without it , turns out i was wrong

Keep on , m
Thanks for this. I know I have to stop.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Relapses happen. It's not like you only have 1 opportunity to get sober. Keep at it, and remember where drinking will lead you. In my case, it makes the negative feelings I try to escape from that much worse when I come to.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Check out AVRT on the secular connections board. I have not had the goosebumps about anything until I've been studying and practicing this. Maybe it will make sense to you too?

By the way, I accept your apology but you didn't do anything to me/us. Why not turn that around and apologize to your beautiful body, cells and brain for pouring poison into it's system so it has to reset. Start seeing yourself as the beautiful person who deserves to have health and love and clarity. It's hard for our bodies to feel those positive things when trying to cast out the evils of alcoholic poisoning.

We all deserve sobriety - we are worth it.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by razor15 View Post
I drank tonight. It was quite conscious. I was with a group of friends at a Halloween costume party. I know I will not drink tomorrow, or the next day, or the next day. After 57 days I will start again.
But I don't see this as a failure, in that it was quite conscious. I'm not saying it was good. And I don't expect any accolades.

I will start again immediately. I suspect it will be difficult to understand such a deliberate act.

It was deliberate.

I'm sorry.
razor15 - the only one to apologize to is yourself! We will always face life and need to be prepared BEFORE we run into those situations.

Since it was conscious decision it appears you really are not committed to the willingness of attempting long term sobriety??! What about Thanksgiving and Christmas parties?? Will you make a decision to drink then as well???

Sobriety is a gift that may or may not ever be given again. I have learned from others and have witnessed with my own eyes the death and despair from those who believe they may open the gift anytime.

It is your life and your journey my friend.....
Wish you the best of luck!!

fly
Old 11-02-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi razor; sorry you slipped but glad you have recommitted to sobriety.

I don't understand how "consciousness" in your decision to drink makes the decision to drink or the act of drinking any less significant - maybe I am just not awake yet.

As alcoholics, our commitment to sobriety needs to be rock-solid; life will continue to be life and throw stuff at us; if our commitment has wavered we will find it difficult to meet life's challenges without drinking.

Glad you are back, razor.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Razor - hang in there and stick with it. Many of us have been through the same thing.

Think you would have drank had you not attended the party? Maybe think about making changes in the active environments you place yourself.

Get back on your horse and ride.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gippy1968 View Post
Hey Razor - hang in there and stick with it. Many of us have been through the same thing.

Think you would have drank had you not attended the party? Maybe think about making changes in the active environments you place yourself.

Get back on your horse and ride.
No, I would not have drank had I not attended the party. It was the "reward" thinking Deep mentioned and the habit of that environment. Going forward, I'll either go sober, or not at all. I know I have work to do on finding my vigour without an alcoholic aid.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gippy1968 View Post
Hey Razor - hang in there and stick with it. Many of us have been through the same thing. Think you would have drank had you not attended the party? Maybe think about making changes in the active environments you place yourself. Get back on your horse and ride.
I skipped a big Halloween party Friday night for fear of drinking. By the look of the people at the party (in the photos they posted on Facebook), they probably didn't even miss me...they all looked completely wasted! Haha

Anyway, for now I'm sticking to sober places. Too tempting! Don't beat yourself up. You can't change the past and neither can I but our future is bright if we stay sober and so is mine! We can do this! Xo

You are not alone.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Been there. I ditched several months of sobriety for a bachelor party once. Thought I wouldn't have any fun otherwise. I was passed out drunk in a bedroom after two hours, I don't recall having any fun. There's no vacation from sobriety, the sobriety IS the permanent vacation from misery. Perhaps skip the parties for as long as you need to, many take quite a while away before they can enjoy a sober social life.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hope you're ok Razor Plenty of water and apparently bananas and eggs are good at times like these. ( I think it's something to do with potassium, but couldn't swear to it)

be kind to yourself x
Old 11-02-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Razor read this http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-positive.html
Old 11-02-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Razor - good for you for coming back and letting us know how you are doing. One day at a time....
Old 11-02-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hi Razor.

When I got sober following my relapse, I was about nine-and-a-half weeks sober on Halloween, a little more than three years ago. It was no surprise to me that no one invited me to a party, but I most certainly would have been drinking had I gone to one, and I would have known well in advance that I'd be drinking. This was true for me for at least my first year. I knew it, and I never placed myself in danger despite my daily intense cravings.

I had made a commitment not to drink no matter what, and that first year was nothing but hard work. Turns out it was a great foundation for what followed, now that I'm living a much better life. And that was my leap of faith in early sobriety...that there was a much better way for me.

How long before you went to the party did you decide that you'd be drinking? It may be helpful for you to give this an honest appraisal as well as reflecting on the thought processes that accompanied your decision.