Notices

Out of ideas

Old 11-01-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

LOL! The largest club no one wanted to join. I literally busted up laughing that was so spot on.

Really pretty amazed with the warm welcome.

I was wondering if anyone else had a problem with the word "alcoholic" when they first started down a road like this? Because I have to confess, I have a hard time applying that to myself. I'm not saying I'm not....but maybe you feel me...it's hard thinking that's a possibility.

I'm (reluctantly) open minded, either way. Just kind of amazed just how hard it is to ponder that possibility.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think once I accepted that I cannot drink again because of a physical/genetic/biochemical reason, it was easier to accept alcoholism. It's not a mental weakness.

I don't tell many people "I'm an alcoholic." It's not necessary to tell anyone at all. But woe to me should I ever forget who and what I am. I cannot drink safely - ever again. Not the first drink: because I have proved to myself through many experiments over many years that it will not end with one or four, and it won't end well.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It's definitely an active & helpful group here. The forum can really assist your journey into sobriety. Welcome & good luck.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yeah. I hear that. I guess no one can ultimately but for themselves.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I think once I accepted that I cannot drink again because of a physical/genetic/biochemical reason, it was easier to accept alcoholism. It's not a mental weakness.

I don't tell many people "I'm an alcoholic." It's not necessary to tell anyone at all. But woe to me should I ever forget who and what I am. I cannot drink safely - ever again. Not the first drink: because I have proved to myself through many experiments over many years that it will not end with one or four, and it won't end well.
I second this in its entirety.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, Waterox

I'm new here too, 19 days sober now. I could not have come this far without this group ,and more recently, AA.

Glad you joined us.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
None of us ever planned on being here, Ox.

You don't have to do it on your own. We're all in this together. Jump in the boat, grab an oar, and row!
Man, I've been "rowing" like crazy today !! ever since I found this site. Thank you God for sending all these good people my way :-)
Old 11-01-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome, Waterox.

Nobody plans to become addicted, and by the time I finally got to the place of truly wanting to quit I needed help to do so. Check out the "stickies" in the newcomers boards and keep sharing.

My last drink was in Dec 2009 - I was terrified to lose my crutch but knew I couldn't go much longer without huge consequences. You can do this, but you will need to work harder than your addiction to beat it. Good luck!
Old 11-01-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome waterox
Accept the label or not - accepting the problem is more important, I think

In terms of 'running out of ideas'- what have you tried in the past?

D
Old 11-01-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Oh you know....trying to set particular limits that only seem to get worse, not better. I think part of it is I am on my own these days and don't have much direct support. And as for those who would support me, to be honest I don't want to tell them.

So that's what led me here.

Thanks again for all the warm wishes. I can tell I'm going to like this forum a lot.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

None of us chose to become alcoholics, or addicted. But we can choose to help ourselves, and SR is a great resource for just that.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!
Old 11-01-2014, 11:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Waterox View Post
Oh you know....trying to set particular limits that only seem to get worse, not better. I think part of it is I am on my own these days and don't have much direct support. And as for those who would support me, to be honest I don't want to tell them.

So that's what led me here.

Thanks again for all the warm wishes. I can tell I'm going to like this forum a lot.
I really recommend you change the parameters of your ideas from harm minimisation to complete abstinence.

You might may well be amazed at the changes that can bring

D