Notices

Quitting smoking is proving tough

Old 11-01-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting smoking is proving tough

I'm restarting quitting smoking today after breaking yesterday. I've decided to go cold turkey, as I think and rather have quick and painful, than drawn out but easier.

The truth if when quitting drinking, I never felt many physical cravings, the cravings were mainly in my head, dealing with my anxieties were my major weapon in taking them on. I felt, to an extent, I could control the pain if I did things in a smart way.

Quitting smoking is just like being psychologically beaten up several times a day. I'm angry, and I'm never angry. I can't sleep. My anxiety has hit near paranoia levels, I can't think straight.

Today isn't too bad, back to day 1, but at that 48 hour mark, everything goes haywire. My workload this two weeks is very light so I can concentrate solely on tackling this demon.

I have gone through harder times than being a bit irritable for 10 minute intervals. It's just hijacked my brain, telling me it's impossible. I'm not screaming in pain, I'm uncomfortable. That's all.

Bring it on addiction I'm here to fight and I'm here to win.

No Relapse, No Surrender.

Tom.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I am right with you brother. Prayers going out
Old 11-01-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good stuff, you can beat this Nicotine monster!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Thomasthetank, oh how I feel your pain.

I also never had big physical cravings when I stopped drinking. I suffered from decent physical withdrawals for a week, but I never really craved the actual alcohol per se. (Just the effects)

However, quitting smoking was an entire different animal. I also quit 'cold turkey' and it was tough. I quit right when those nicotine patches became 'over-the-counter,' which I used the entire time. I can't even tell you if they helped because I was in such misery. I read how the actual cravings really only lasted for about five seconds or so if I recall, which is what I kept telling myself to help me get through it.

It took about two weeks before I was able to begin to think straight again and I'd say about six months before I felt certain that I was really done with them.

Hang in there and remember how those cravings only last a short time.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thomas, I quit drinking on august 22 2014 for 17 days. I went cold turkey on alcohol, valium, caffeine and nicotine. I made a mistake, I had too many withdrawals. I would rather smoke than drink. I smoked 1-2 packs a day. now I smoke about 6-8 cigarettes a day, after quitting alcohol 6 wonderful days ago. cigarette withdrawals are bad. I like the patches. now im quitting 1 thing at a time!

it may not be right for you, but it works for me
Old 11-01-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Popeye2014 View Post
Thomas, I quit drinking on august 22 2014 for 17 days. I went cold turkey on alcohol, valium, caffeine and nicotine. I made a mistake, I had too many withdrawals. I would rather smoke than drink. I smoked 1-2 packs a day. now I smoke about 6-8 cigarettes a day, after quitting alcohol 6 wonderful days ago. cigarette withdrawals are bad. I like the patches. now im quitting 1 thing at a time!

it may not be right for you, but it works for me
I quite drinking a while ago now, so I'm feeling confident in my resolve not to drink. But I agree with you, quitting drinking, smoking and trying to lose weight at the same time ended with me giving in on all those things.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Quitting drinking is like giving up a bad relationship where the physical is fantastic.

Quitting smoking is like pulling your own fingernails out with pliers.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff Thomas
Old 11-01-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well said Trach, I guess if you have a plan & stick to it, any habit or problem could be fixed.

trachemys loan your pliers to Thomas
Old 11-01-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I haven't quit nicotine, yet. Still got my vaporizer. And all my fingernails. When I settle in to a less stressful life, I'll take a week and go to the mountains and pull my fingernails.

The biggest problem with nicotine is that any backsliding (just one, to take the edge off) literally resets the clock on the substance getting out of your system. And it takes days to get it out of your system. And you're back at the start of the process.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

It's tough Tom, but I suspect you are tougher. It amazes me that a product like this that basically kills you faster is still legal, knowing what we know. Oh, the power of corporate lobbies.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A.K.A Bri

Good luck Thomas! I, too, went cold turkey and can totally understand what you mean when you say it's like being beaten up at first. Those cravings are REAL. They do go away though, and every day you stick to it makes it easier. They say the first 3 days are when you're actually craving the nicotine and that after that, it's all in your head. Try and find something healthy to help you when you want a cig. For me, gum and exercise were my crutches as well as promising myself I wouldn't buy a pack. You can do it! One day at a time

B
Old 11-01-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My parents quit smoking with acupuncture over 30 yrs ago. Never smoked again
Old 11-02-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Found a great resource. Whyquit.com Tons of information and it is free
Old 11-02-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Thomasthetank, cigarettes was harder than crack for me but over 2 years without them now. You can do it, rootin for ya.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I did it cold turkey too. Tried patches and hypnotism. Neither worked. Going cold turkey is hard but, if you want you can do it. The health benefits are great. Good luck I'm pulling for you.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was a pack a day smoker for 25 years and tried to quit many times. I finally read Allen Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" and visited WhyQuit.com a whole lot. I got a watch and every time I would get a craving I would check my time and realize that the craving would only last 3 minutes. At first they came a lot but with every passing day they would get farther and farther apart. I kept reading a lot of different web sites about quitting and really educated myself especially when I was getting cravings. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. But I can happily say I have 4 years behind me. It sucks because I still get cravings. Not all the time but when I'm under a lot of stress the thought comes to mind. "oh wouldn’t a smoke be good about now?" But then I think about how hard it was to quit and I tell that thought right where it can go. I never ever want to have to quit again. It was hell.

Good luck and keep in mind that it's the first 3 days that are the hardest because the nicotine leaving your system and it wants you to replace it. After that it's all just a mental addiction. As long as you aren't using substitutes like patches or gum because they have nicotine in them, just a lower dose. You have to get that poison out so your body can start healing itself. =)