Notices

Terrifying Dreams

Old 11-01-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Terrifying Dreams

Today is Day 33 for me.

Last night, I had dreams that brought almost every one of my hidden fears to life. Nothing alcohol-related, but situations involving my kids, my job, and loved ones. It was so jarring that I couldn't sleep from about 2:30 - 4:30 a.m.

This is the first time I've experienced any nightmares or anxiety since my first week of sobriety. I'm wondering if it could be PAWS, or maybe it's early for that?

Either way, I plan on discussing with my counselor. I'm curious to know what experiences you all have had with PAWS, and generally what the timing tends to be.

Thanks all,
Old 11-01-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 33 I suffer nightmares i had one last night but i cant remember them nowadays as time goes on theyl become less and less vivid

well done again
Old 11-01-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not sure if it's PAWS or not, but I shared a dream I had last night with my October class last night.
I'll share it with you now:

I had been drinking and was driving a Nissan Micra (never owned one) with my son beside me in a toddler car seat. We were high in the twisty mountain roads in Wales and the roads had a covering of snow. I was sliding around in the car narrowly avoiding other cars and we were both laughing. I was really admiring my superior driving skills in the tricky conditions, when I lost control on a particularly sharp, slippery bend.
We crashed through the barrier and left the road.
The car went tumbling over and over and I kept asking my son if he was ok. "Yes, I'm ok Daddy". This went on for a long time, with me asking him if he was ok and him giving the same answer. Eventually we came to a bone shuddering stop and the air was very quiet. I pulled myself together and went to see if he was ok. I checked his beautiful face and body and couldn't see any marks. "Are you ok son?".................... "It hurts Daddy"
I could feel the tears rolling down my face. "Where does it hurt my darling?" "My big toe".
I was so relieved and was kissing his big toe when a farmer and his wife arrived to see if we were ok. They said it was a horrific accident and that the car had tumbled over and over down the mountain. I said that everything was fine because I knew I'd been drinking and just wanted to get away. They said they were going to call the police, but my son persuaded them that there was no need, and anyway it would be irresponsible of them to call the police out in such treacherous conditions.
Then I woke up sweating!

It's probably a Freudian wet dream!!

Not terrifying, but kinda meaningful.

Last edited by Sparkos; 11-01-2014 at 06:33 AM. Reason: font too small
Old 11-01-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think I experienced PAWS.

But, I did have very scary dreams in recovery. I think it was just part of the process of dealing with the emotions I'd been in denial about.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What is PAWS?
Old 11-01-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you are here!!!

Sounds like you are making progress - yea, crazy dreams. I found they are simply our computer brain dumping/clearing cache......

fly
Old 11-01-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 View Post
What is PAWS?
It's an acronym that stands for Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome.

Tends to show up after one has been sober for a while.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank I didn't know that.
I think the moon cycle has a tremendous effect on dreams as I wake up from a particularly disturbing dream where my daughter, my dog and I lived in a circus tent. A giant snake kept trying to eat my daughter. I caught it and threw it far away but it came back at a terrifying speed.
I can count on a freaky dream like that now for the next 5 days. I'm not even sure where we are in the moon phase right now.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just read about PAWS. That explains a lot. Another verification of that burning question..."am I really an alcoholic?" I don't know why I even question it. The fact that it took me a year to get thirty something days should be proof enough, lol.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really vivid nightmares were certainly common for me for a while.

I chose not to read anything into them and they went away mostly...I still get the occasional one tho.

D
Old 11-02-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My dream life has always been pretty intense since my childhood, and of course not only pleasant dreams. And yeah early sobriety brought lots of epic nightmares, some recurring ones as well. I did not think too much of them when they happened, mostly just acknowledged them. Not sure I've experienced PAWS... I've had more crazy periods since sober, but they could have been many things and did not fit the conventional PAWS descriptions I've read very well. I used to analyze my dreams to death in the past... these days I like to moderate this and only think about them much if something really jumps out or is very unusual.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 5KRunner View Post

This is the first time I've experienced any nightmares or anxiety since my first week of sobriety. I'm wondering if it could be PAWS, or maybe it's early for that?
For my first few months in sobriety (this time around) I had some terrible nightmares. Woke in the middle of the night more than once screaming. I think that it upset the wife more than it did me. About the time in which I wondered -- how long will this go on ?? They were gone.

Hang tight -- for some this seems to be part of the sobering up process.

MM