Notices

This early sobriety thing is rough!!

Old 10-31-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

Red face This early sobriety thing is rough!!

Hi Everyone!!

I am a long time member of SR but haven't posted in ages..and I must say I have missed all of you good folks. I still remember almost all of the names I see!

I am on day 18 today- my LAST day 18 God willing..haha..and after making some major life changes for the better, including getting into AA properly, and seeing a psychiatrist to handle my chemical imbalances, I know that I am truly going to be able to remain sober now- I also moved to California which was always a dream of mine..

Despite the positive changes that have occurred, I still have those ''off days''..(early sobriety..)

Today, I was reminded of the excellent strides I am making, but along with that, naturally comes the comparison of what we used to be like..that is a tough one for me right now..as I love to hear loved ones say they see the changes.. but it's a double edged sword in a sense..because I can't help but cringe at what I had been..

I don't know if this makes a whole hell of a lot of sense, but if anyone finds themselves relating..I'd love to hear your feelings :-)

Thank u guys and again it is good to be back among my SR friends
Old 10-31-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeap, there's always the off days, even in Sobriety, life keeps rolling on and there's still the ups and downs.

But those positive changes helped me to keep pushing through, people noticing small things and commenting, that can be harnessed.

Don't focus on the past, focus on the future that you are creating, the new chapter that you write with every passing Sober day!!

18 Days is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 10-31-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back!
Old 10-31-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on 18 days thats fantastic BM
Old 10-31-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back!

You are still in the kind of early days so it's normal to expect those kinds of feelings. Most of us, me included, did things that we wish we hadn't done, said things we shouldn't have said. It's hard to come to terms with those things, but it's necessary to look at the reality before we can fully move on.

Give yourself some more time and know for sure that you can get through this.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am on day 4! Just got out of detox. Today, Halloween is hard not to have a drink. My BF who does drink doesn't understand why I can't just go out and drink a coke at diner at a bar where everyone is having fun on Halloween! My father passed while I was in detox. Searching the internet to find an AA meeting is like searching for a Dr, impossible and over whelming! How does one keep themselves busy? Is just going to AA the answer or a full time or out patient place?
Old 10-31-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

Hi dj.. congrats on day 4!! I am also very sorry to hear about your father's passing though...
I applaud you for staying sober through that... I found for me personally that AA on its own wasn't enough..but that's because I have major depression..so for me it seems to be a combo of ''therapies''.. I still have difficulty staying occupied sometimes.. but I have found that going to meetings is a good usage of time..and you meet some good folks too..(and a few annoying ones too but hey..lol) Wishing you all the best in your recovery journey- feel free to msg me anytime-
Old 10-31-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Barry'sMom -18 days is great. Try not to think too much about the mistakes we made...that was then, this is now

welcome to you to Djsdream - many people do AA here, many do not. It's a personal choice.

How would you get into outpatient rehab?

D
Old 11-01-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Ya..those first few weeks are pretty rough. But those headlights will be out of the fog any second. Sunnier skies are imminent (but even then..the sun can't shine everyday).
Old 11-01-2014, 12:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi congratulations on 18 days
Old 11-01-2014, 01:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

hi, Barrysmama, good to meet you
Old 11-01-2014, 01:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi Djsdream, welcome to SR