Notices

Any vapers out there?

Old 11-01-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Quit my two pack a day habit by vaping four years ago. I vape constantly, I even take it with me on my 30 mile cycling rides, pulling it out of my pack on brakes. Addicts do what addicts do.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I swear by my e-cigarettes. I've been sober six years, but still smoked 2+ packs/day. Since starting with e-cigarettes in April, I have not had more than 1-2 cigarettes (real ones) per day. If you choose to get off nicotine entirely, you can taper down to zero percent. I know lots of people who have done that. I, OTOH, am not concerned about my nicotine level, and I don't care about being addicted to nicotine. It doesn't cause harm the way my drinking did, and anyway I'm probably addicted to caffeine too--same thing.

Currently I have one cigarette per day (first thing in the morning) and don't touch anything but my e-cigarette the rest of the time. My lung function is better, I don't puff for breath when I do something strenuous, I have fewer colds, I no longer cough, it's all good as far as I'm concerned. The vapor in e-cigarettes (what carries the nicotine and flavor) is the same stuff they use in asthma inhalers. No more smell in my house, no more smell on my person, no more accidental burns in clothes and furniture.

I'm sold.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My friend just tried to stop smoking using one, it was working really well but unfortunately she was allergic to the ingredients and came out in ulcers all over her mouth - really painful! So had to stop!

My mum and dad stopped smoking over 30 years ago using acupuncture and have never smoked since
Old 11-01-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I started December 2010 and still vape. I have smoked a few cigarettes since but generally find them disgusting now. A big positive overall in my opinion. My doctor, while not terribly educated in this area was quite glad that he's noted no constriction in my lungs since.

I'll add that if I was ever really addicted to the nicotine, I'm not now. I've gone weeks vaping on 0 nicotine, didn't bother me a bit, just can't get the taste I like without some in there. Mine is just a pacifier, essentially.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I too have made the switch. I now vape 4-5 ml of 1.3% daily. about the same as a pack of lights nic-wise I'm told. I feel much better and am tapering to 1% next week. Get a clearomizer with replace-able coils (they get gummed up). Cheaper in the long run. I spend $12 a week on vaping and like others have said, don't even want what cigs have to offer.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sparkos View Post
What did you tell them?
I started with my personal story - from 70 to 0 cigs in 10 days using a simple eGo/C4 - and then gave an overview of the relevant e-cig studies (R. West, C. Farsalinos, Hajek, Polosa etc.). It's important to note that it's not completely harmless (allergies, diacetyl & acetyl propionyl in some flavors, acrolein at higher temperatures, counterfeit batteries...) but still a no-brainer for smokers. If smoking has a harm score of 100, vaping has a score of 4 (Prof D. Nutt etc).

The toxicologist - head of the university of Louvain - had done some research himself, and concluded that breathing the air outside of the building where we were was more harmful than vaping. Again, he didn't say it is totally harmless, and he stressed we obviously don't have long term epidemiology studies yet, but he doesn't expect any surprises.

I started at 24mg/ml and am currently down to 9 (I make my own juices), so that part costs me & my wife $8 per week. Sadly, the shiny gear turned out to be highly addictive.

We'll see how it goes, as I don't have a lot of faith in the political process, and the current FDA and EU proposals will drive the whole industry into the arms of the big tobacco companies (don't get me started...)

Anyway, I'm now smoke free for 9 months and sober for 2 years and 5 months, having saved about $25,000 in the process.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey everyone my name is Wade and I'm an alcoholic addict. Sober for a little over a year and I want to quit smoking now. I've cut down to ultra light cigs and I'm at about 17 a day. I decided I want to set my quit date a week from today and after reading this thread and talking to a lot of people, I've decided to try vaping as my quitting mechanism. Any advice is appreciated. Like where should I set my nicotine levels, what's an ideal starter kit, etc? I don't want a new habit so I don't wanna do flavors and what not.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You want a head with replaceable coils. Vapin makes a decent model sold at walmart gas stations (Murphy's)- around 20$. Their juices I don't use anymore but are reasonable as well as varying strengths for tapering at 5$ for 15 ml. At the level you are smoking now 1.2% juice should be enough (similar to lights). I'm still an addict but feel much better and tapering is going well.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thank you for the info. Yeah the general consensus seems to be they are a cheaper and possibly healthier alternative to smoking. I hear about people "modifying" them. I'm not very technical. What would I need to do for maintenance? I have to change the coils, juice and battery right? What else? How much do these coils cost and how often do I change those?
Old 11-03-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Coils last me 2 days max but I rebuild mine and like a clean, thick vape (and the wire is $5 for a lifetime supply) or can be bought by the 5 pack for 5 to 15$. I've been rebuilding the same 8 coils for 4 months. You will want q-tips for cleaning and maybe an extra battery. I use a kanger tech Protank mini 2 head ($18). Quality, simple, completely rebuildable. my wife's is a clone that uses the same coils. Batteries last me 2-3 months average. I go cheap ($13). Mods are better quality upgrades personal to each user. Some are hot rods for max vapor-not for me.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

oops, I thought you said VAMPIRES.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Oops double post
Old 11-14-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Just ordered some white chocolate from Vista and some Honeyberry from Mt Baker.
Happily vaping away on a mixture of strawberry and pear as I am typing.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Anattaboy, thank you for the advice and info. Carlotta, are you not smoking at all then? A brief update on me. I got an Evod 2 and two 12 mg tobacco flavors about a week and a half ago. I have not smoked a cigarette in 9 days! I normally fill my tank 1 to 2 times a day and am looking to cut my nicotine down to 8 or 10 Mgs soon. I gotta watch it tho. I about like this Vape more than the cigarettes. And I can do it inside too...
Old 11-14-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I vape and love it! I have said I will stop for new year, but really do enjoy it at the moment!
Old 11-14-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I quit smoking earlier this year cold turkey using AVRT and I was a miserable grouch. I did not stick to my big plan and went back to smoking which must have been a relief for the community at large because I was a real grumpy bytch.
To make a long story short, I had been buying my tobacco at the local vape store and making my own smokes (cheaper and less toxic) and the owners and clients were really nice and friendly and all those little bottles and gadgets looked interesting.
Last week, I bought myself a little Innokin Itaste Clk mainly because it was really cute (pink) and because I do not smoke inside and did not want to go outside to smoke in the winter.
I started vaping and I had my last cigarette Monday morning and it tasted like a burnt old dirty sock, even the AV could not rationalize inhaling that...yuck I put it out after 2 drags.
I have not had a cigarette since and have had almost no cravings just a couple of fleetings thoughts.
I smoked for 35 years and was a 2 packs a day smoker.
I started on 12 mg (1.2 % nicotine) and am planning to go down to 8 next month.
Most people who smoke as much as I did start on 18 or even 24 but for some reason, 12 works for me.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hi, I started a thread in the nicotine forum. You are all invited
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-vapers.html
Also I got an inside for free ejuice giveway (just tomorrow) with free shipping.
Pm me if you are interested (I am not affiliated with them, just something I ran across on another forum
Old 11-16-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm half & half at the moment!!! Gradually sliding over to the vape side... Sounds a bit of a cheapskate but Poundland are now selling e-liquid & to be honest it tastes the same as the more expensive quality juices.. I'll check out the ingredients & compare them..
Old 11-16-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Just my personal experience, because I quit 12 years ago before vaping existed, I went to a hypnotist one time, paid $125. Worked. I had an open mind to it but wasn't particularly sure it would work, I was just willing to try anything because I smoked about 1.5 packs/day and had caught bronchitis numerous times already. Amazingly, I also had no withdrawal symptoms.