SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Dreams about alcohol (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/349342-dreams-about-alcohol.html)

dcrr 10-31-2014 02:34 AM

Dreams about alcohol

I know this topic was posted recently, but for some reason I couldn't find the thread and I just wanted to share what happened to me last night. I had a dream that I suddenly felt guilt because I had drank 2 beers. In my dream I don't know where it happened; all I remember is that I had somehow convinced myself that 2 wouldn't hurt. I woke up believing it was real. Luckily it wasn't and I had a clear memory of what I did last night. Kind of freaked me out though for a few minutes lol

GracieLou 10-31-2014 02:53 AM

I have had the same type of dream. I never drink in my drunk dreams, they are always after the fact. I am terrified! I am guilty and trying to decide what to do, who to call, if I should call. I wake up in all out panic.

Some take a while to shake because they appear and feel so real.

I am always so grateful when I realize it was a dream.

MavisTheFairy13 10-31-2014 03:10 AM

Weird isn't it. I've only had one so far and like you I felt so guilty and then woke up thinking it was real lol. :)

justinJustQuit 10-31-2014 03:53 AM

Yeah I've had those dreams too. They are no fun but it's always a great sign of relief when you find out they aren't real.

LonelyShadow 10-31-2014 03:58 AM

I think those dreams are really common especially in early recovery, I find they're more vivid and real in times of anxiety or stress. I wouldn't take it as a bad sign, might be your mind's way of telling you how big a mistake drinking would be. It's healthy to be reminded of the guilt that drinking makes you feel :)

Soberwolf 10-31-2014 06:07 AM

ive been in a drinking dream but i wasnt drinking everyone around me was trying to get me to drink in the dream it upset me i was like you know im sober and i dont want to drink

havnt had a dream where im drinking in it yet

Ultramarathoner 10-31-2014 06:50 AM

I was not drunk in my dream but did drink. In my dream I actually got upset that I had to change my sobriety date. So relieved when I woke up.

SoberLeigh 10-31-2014 07:22 AM

I have had those dreams, also, dcrr. Like GracieLou, they are "after the fact" dreams; I am never drinking the liquid in my dreams but staring at an empty glass and disgusted with myself.

My unscientific take on these dreams is that if, in my dream, I am unhappy with myself for drinking, that dream (while unpleasant) is okay. If, in my dream, I had been happy withnthe drinking experience, I would be concerned and think that mynreal-life program would need to be improved.

As an aside, do you watch the television show "Mom"; it is about a mother and daughter who are both recovering alcoholics and in AA; the show began last night with the daughter (who is a waitress) picking up unfinished drinks at the restaurant and drinking them; it was a drinking dream. (I immediately thought "drinking dream" but husband said "Uh-oh" when he saw it - he's a consummate "normie" - what a difference in perception and psychology). We alcoholics are different from norms in both our real life perceptions and our dreams.

Sparkos 10-31-2014 07:25 AM

I actually enjoy having these dreams, weirdly, because the realisation that is was "just a dream" makes me feel fantastic for the day and re-emphasises that I absolutely made the right decision to stop drinking.

Chiffon 10-31-2014 08:05 AM

I had one where I was holding a glass of beer and suddenly loads of giant peanuts (complete with shells) started chasing me. I turned around and they were wearing t-shirts. One said 'Least' and the another said 'Anna'. Weird lol

SoberLeigh 10-31-2014 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Chiffon (Post 4987468)
I had one where I was holding a glass of beer and suddenly loads of giant peanuts (complete with shells) started chasing me. I turned around and they were wearing t-shirts. One said 'Least' and the another said 'Anna'. Weird lol

Fantastic and Beautiful, Chiffon. What a great and significant dream. I would love to see Least and Anna in a dream.

(Consider yourself lucky; my dreams are certifiable; if it were my dream, my t-shirts would have read Thing 1 and Thing 2).

Chiffon 10-31-2014 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 4987490)
Fantastic and Beautiful, Chiffon. What a great and significant dream. I would love to see Least and Anna in a dream.

(Consider yourself lucky; my dreams are certifiable; if it were my dream, my t-shirts would have read Thing 1 and Thing 2).

Lol aww bless :)

escapethecycle2 10-31-2014 11:33 PM

I think you mean my thread from the other day. Yeah, quite the unnerving dream, lemme tell yuh. Apparently it's normal and I take solace in the fact that a lot of people relate. Thanks for sharing, it further validated that I'm not losing my mind. Ha.