Notices

My rock bottom that finally landed me here.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My rock bottom that finally landed me here.

I feel the need to be honest about my last week I was drinking. No reason, other than confirming my rock bottom and my choice in sobriety. I was drinking morning until night. High functioning but bloated and moody. A few days beforet "day 1" I woke up and decided to go on a ride around the neighborhood ony mo-ped. I absolutely became frantic at the idea of enjoying the beautiful day without my usual glass or two of am wine. I remembered my stash of about half a bottle of saki in my car, and knew that I would be able to maintain a decent flow of alcohol in my system to enjoy my ride. (All scary thoughts, I know.) well, I had half a bottle of wine on my counter. It was a half from the night before of a second bottle. Even though it was 8 30am there was no way I would engage in anything enjoyable without heightening the experience. To me, half a bottle of wine and a few sips of saki was just right. I drank a quarter of the bottle of saki and left the last part of it as a reward for the end of my ride. I cruised around the neighborhood having a blast. A bit more adventurous than usual, but still pretty high functioning. Well I entered a busy street because it was the fastest way back home...no helmet, no ***** given. On a moped you gas and brake sort of opposite of a beach cruiser. I guess I got a little comfortable and in the clouds mixed with anxiety and being buzzed on a busy street that I actually gassed instead of braked as I turned into the lane. I lost control and flew forward off the moped as I braked violently and landed head first into oncoming traffic. A car missed my head by six inches. I was bruised up and terrified as I rode home. I, of course told people who saw my bruises that the bike "fell over on me" which it did as a white lie, but I was and am far too ashamed to speak of it for some time. I needed to get this off my chest because it was my final straw and it confirmed my suspicion that I lost control rapidly over a few months. I knew it would only get worse, and I can never chance a substance again. Lucky for me, I realized that alcohol was depressing me.waking up over the past two weeks has actually been a giant relief for me and I am comfortably and firmly sober from here on out. Thanks for reading. Every word was painful to write,but I felt mentally able to face it after these few weeks of sobriety. I am so blessed to have narrowly escaped all of this and I am just grateful to be in a position to actually live my life again. The one that alcohol literally almost took.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you're ok, escape.

I think when close shaves like that happen, someone or something is trying to tell us something...I'm glad you listened

D
Old 10-30-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. I drove whilst drunk many times. If it was near closing time I would even drive right past our local police station - totally insane!
You sound as though you're in a good place at the moment, best of luck and have a long happy recovery
Old 10-31-2014, 02:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We have all had our, "ah-ha" moment to get us here. Glad you survived yours!
Old 10-31-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for taking the time to write that. You are lucky to be alive. Welcome to SR
Old 10-31-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 weeks!
Old 10-31-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Glad you survived , Escape, and thank you for sharing your story.

Yes, I have drunk driven uh. a "few" times over the years. Madness.

One time, and this was one of the times that added up towards stopping drinking, I got to the pub to see a band at 12 noon. I was in the pub until five, drinking beer. Then something to eat. Then back to the pub til about 8pm. At this point I had a coffee, like that would sober me up !! Then I drove through a major city, then a half hour drive in the county to get home. On the way I stopped to buy wine. I also gave a friend a ride home. WTF ??

A few years ago, my band was gigging on St Patrick's Day in a local pub. The plan was to drink after the gig and then sleep in my car. We were drinking whiskey til about 4am. The others got a taxi home. I went to the car, it was too cold to sleep, so I drove home.

After this one, I stopped drinking at all at gigs.

Half the time I don't remember how I drove home at all, how scary is that.

So grateful that I didn't kill anyone or myself, such irresponsible and downright selfish behaviour on my part :-(
Old 10-31-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Im glad your ok

well done on 2 weeks
Old 10-31-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. Sometimes it is a moment of insanity that makes us realize what we need to do and stick to it.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

I guess day 1's are not usually preceded by us being at our best.

Glad you escaped with just the wisdom
Old 10-31-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm glad you survived your rock bottom. It is a good reminder to all how quickly things can go from good to ****. I hope the best, and good luck. Thanks for sharing