SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Pizza and Candy and Cookies, oh my! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/349324-pizza-candy-cookies-oh-my.html)

matilda123 10-30-2014 08:35 PM

Pizza and Candy and Cookies, oh my!

I know how absurd this sounds, but when I was drinking, I ate relatively healthy (whole foods, green juices, etc). Healthy minus all the booze, of course! :stooges:

But since I have stopped drinking I am having the craziest cravings for junk food! It is insane! I could probably count on both hands the number of pieces of chocolate I've had up until three weeks ago; now, I couldn't count them on my fingers and toes!

Did these cravings happen to anyone else? Does this taper down? I suppose alcohol is a lot of empty calories--maybe this balances out?

Dee74 10-30-2014 08:37 PM

It's very very common matilda - and most people find it dies down, eventually.
Of course some of us are still waiting... lol

D

Stevie1 10-30-2014 08:44 PM

matilda, same here. I'm sort of a foodie and even when I was drinking I ate really well, home-cooked and healthy.

I think we're compensating for sugar. I was drinking 2000+ calories per day of empty sugary calories and now I'm not. I think craving carbs and sugary foods is common...let's not talk about all the ginger soda and Pepperidge Farm cookies and ice cream I've been downing lately!

matilda123 10-30-2014 10:51 PM

Thanks for the info! I was wondering what was happening.

Boy, we play tricks with ourselves. I was thinking tonight, "I've lost 30 pounds this year: I need to watch the sweets." Well, I shouldn't go crazy for too long, but i don't think a snickers here and there or a slice is going to damage me as much as a bottle of wine four nights a week! Funny how I didn't even think about the calories in that when I was drinking, let alone all the deleterious effects!

Soberwolf 10-31-2014 12:57 AM

Im glad im able to eat again im unashamed in that as its healthy balanced and really tasty

Sobriety is awesome isnt it Matilda

Barnumb 10-31-2014 02:45 AM

I am so glad it's not just me. Verners ginger ale, in limited fashion, but my ice cream button is jammed down to the floor. Been killing some moose tracks!!!

brickthrowing 10-31-2014 03:00 AM

It will taper down, at least in my experience it did.

I have always make great efforts to eat well, but this doesn't always happen. Give yourself a break!

I've been busily mowing through a bag of Almond Joy mini's this last week and using my excuse of my slip a few weeks ago as its ok. :0

I think its a mind set. Its a comfort thing when sobriety is new. It eventually passes as we get stronger.

The seasonal deluge of candy doesn't help a whole lot though...:headbange

Chiffon 10-31-2014 03:13 AM

I found that for me, if I chop up a banana and pour a tin of mandarin oranges over it, it really helps with the sugar cravings x

matilda123 10-31-2014 05:11 PM

TMI alert, but I just realized too that that time of the month will be here in a few days. Normally, I'll drink half a bottle of wine or so a night for the week before. So, bring on the sweets! I have to do everything I can to get through this week and stay sober. Hopefully, I won't have all the sweets gone before the tricker treaters get here!!

I'd really like to start exercising more too. Feels a little daunting to start running (my favorite) but some yoga does sound good right now! Running gets me a little nutty, strangely! I used to compete as a runner, so sometimes it brings out a not so healthy side!

Soberwolf 10-31-2014 05:30 PM

what about jogging in the park in the morning perhaps

get ben n jerrys phish food or all or nuttin

beautiful ice cream

matilda123 10-31-2014 05:49 PM

morning runs--I love them!

Right now I'm going on very long walks on the water or hikes with my dogs. I like how it forces me to slow down.

LOVE ben and jerrys! Cherry Garcia is my favorite (and not just because I live in San Francisco)!!

happyandfree 10-31-2014 06:30 PM

In the beginning it felt to me that I needed the calories that I wasn't getting from the alcohol. Took a while to adjust. I am still working on the sugar cravings and Halloween isnt helping. I ate ice cream regularly for a while and I swear it helped me to not drink. But I'm still eating more than when I drank. But it's better than drinking!

Rina 10-31-2014 06:37 PM

For me personally, I think I have replaced the alcohol high with the comfort eating high. I'm trying to be more balanced though. I know I will feel even better when I can be healthy in all ways.