Notices

I slipped

Old 10-30-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I slipped

So, I made it to 6 days, and then last night I slipped.

The crazy thing is yesterday I felt better than I had in years. So full of energy, so happy, found myself laughing in a really joyous way at stupid things.

Then when the evening came on, I started getting cravings, and my AV went wild. I basically told myself - look, you're never gonna be able to keep this up long term, so why not just jack it in now?

And that's what I did, and now instead of feeling great, as I had for the last few days, I feel hungover, and disappointed with myself.

I also feel that I've let down all the people who offered me such encouragement since I came on here.

Well, I'm gonna try and learn from this. I know that I did not have a strong enough plan in place - in fact, I barely had a plan - to deal with cravings, and my AV. I should have gone to the gym, I should have gone to AA.

So, basically, I'm gonna get straight back in, and try to do it better this time.

Hope all of you are doing good today.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA member

Sorry to read that.You can learn and do next time what you should have done yesterday.

No need to feel you let anyone down.

Wishing you well.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When we start feeling the best we are the most vulnerable. That is what I have learned. Trying to put controls in place so i don't slip.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Me too jack. Right there with you on day 1
Old 10-30-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry it happened but ditto on what MS said. When I felt the best is when I felt most vulnerable. Now you know to be on guard.

Your AV wants you to believe that you can never do this, so why bother trying. That isn't true. Pick yourself up, don't beat yourself up.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Realising my life

You so can do this, Jack! In fact, you've come straight back on here so you're already doing it

And you tell your AV that HeadLump has done this for 21 months and counting - and she's nothing special. So if she can do it, so can you!
Old 10-30-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

You can do it Jack remember if its ever on you to reach out first as were all here for you and all in this together

and practice urge surfing when cravings happen

Well done on making it back Jack
Old 10-30-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support, guys. Makes me feel much better.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

I don't think there is anyone on this board who hasn't slipped at some point in their quest for sobriety. I know I have, many, many times.

Now I'm 18 days sober with the help of these good people and recently, AA also.

Well done for coming straight back at it.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear about you slipping. However, that's great you're using it as a learning opportunity and you're renewing your focus to getting sober.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

sorry to hear this, you have to be on guard 24/7 especially in the early days, the amount of times I drank because I felt happy??

don't beat your self up just forgive yourself and get straight back in there to recovery, AA tonight might be a good option

good luck
Old 10-30-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dust yourself off and try again!
Old 10-30-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You can do it, I started a small support group that really helps me.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Jack; you haven't let us down; quite the contrary - you came right back after your slip. Our AV tells us many things which simply aren't true; have you looked into AVRT?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html

(And HeadLump, au contraire mon ami; you ARE special).
Old 10-30-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad you're here, trying again. You can do it. Keep moving forward!
Old 10-30-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Good to see you back in the saddle! Don't look @ it as long term;just focus on today & live sober today. As long as I don't quit trying, then I'm not a failure. Glad that when I was done coz then was truly done. Alc stopped working for me & so even if got urge today, which haven't in long time, sanity would kick in & say I wouldn't enjoy it coz can't drink on truth. Also why would I create another regret & throw my time gotten through lots of pain & heart ache?
Hope you have a sponsor, work the steps & get active in aa(just my suggestion)
Best wishes
Old 10-30-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jack16 View Post
And that's what I did, and now instead of feeling great, as I had for the last few days, I feel hungover, and disappointed with myself.
I swear we have the shortest memory span! We so easily forget the pain, the guilt, the hangover and the disappointment.

This is why will power never worked for me. While I am feeling like crap I can say no, but the second I feel good, I was right back at it. My relapse lasted ten years, I am glad you have more sense than I did.

You did not disappoint us. We understand!

Get back on the horse and do it differently this time. Get to AA or another recovery option and get a plan in place. Stick to the plan no matter how good you feel or how bad you feel. I was never to tired to drink so I was never to tired to go to a meeting. I was never to sick to drink so I was never to sick to go to a meeting. I was never to bored to drink so I was never to bored to go to a meeting…you get the idea.

I always asked myself no matter what excuse I came up with…Would this “excuse” have stopped me from drinking? and the answer was usually no, so I got to a meeting.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad you're back, Jack! Sorry you slipped, but learn from your mistakes. Took many of us; me included; several times before giving in unconditionally to sobriety.

You have to make the decision and be 110% committed, all-in. At least that's what had to happen for me. I'm still early into this whole sober thing, but, I now truly realize I can't drink again, ever. Before, I would just tell myself that, but in the back of my mind I knew the option to drink was there and I might use it again someday...

It took me 21 years and several bad relapses to realize it has to be this way. No drinking again, ever; not today, tomorrow, next week or month. It's so much easier once you take that stance versus wondering when you will relapse again.

You can do it. Read and post often. That's what helped me get through the very early days and keeps me in check today at day 115.

Best of luck!
Old 10-30-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was happy today, my day 12, so was my oh, his day 12, so we decided to have a,few beers, coz we're in a hotel, there's a bar etc etc... Except we didn't do it! Unspoken we just occupied ourselvs, ate chocolate and didn't drink. Wow, a joint first... So keep practising and you will get better at not giving in when u r happy. Fruit n nut helps tremendously��
Old 10-30-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Everyone slips. Just start again today!