Notices

There aren't very many people I can be friends with

Old 10-31-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

to bad everyone who responded to this thread can't get together.) be fun really..I'm retired and live in Thailand...might be a fun place for us all to meet.)
Thai food is good...and we can talk politics lol or religion...or heath stuff....I tell you what...we sure will feel great in the morning...mornings are my favorite time...
Old 10-31-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Never had Thai food before. What's good Stewart?
Morning person here too. If I sleep pass 5 then the
it's like I'm burnin daylight. Don't like to sleep my
day away. Sooooo, it's early to be, early to rise,
makes me healthy, wealthy in knowledge, not
money....lol and wise.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was REALLY worried about the social aspect of my life after I quit drinking and smoking weed. I ditched all my drinking and stoner buddies and found I was left with only myself. And I was an emotional nutcase so being left with me could really suck at times.

I work at home and live in a small town with not much to do. So, my social interaction is limited and it's easy for me to spend days on end by myself or perhaps at most, the cashier at Wal-Mart asking if I found everything OK.

Somewhere around 6-9 months I think I just stopped worrying about the friends aspect of things. I was focused on developing (or re-devoloping) my interests and hobbies. I was engaged in my sober life and had gotten into habits and routines to fill the hours that had once been filled with weed and booze. I felt more comfortable in my own head again and with just being with myself.

My social life is still kind of sparse, but it is slowly fillig in bit by bit. My elderly neighbors that I used to avoid more or less because I couldn't drink or get high with them are now people that I go see every week or two. Sometimes, they talk about stuff that I'm not terribly interested in, but other times, they have great_stories to tell. I go to yoga class once or twice a week and if I have no close friends there, I have a group of friendly acquaintances. (In early recovery, I went to yoga three times a week and it was SO helpful to me, even if my early hopes of making a friend there haven't really panned out.)

I started attending AA meetings the last couple of months, in large part, just to have real life people to talk to. The meetings I go to are all men and so they kind of follow the no men/women getting too close and I'm actually OK with that. It's nice just to have a group I can go to.

I now have a couple of friends from SR that I talk to on the phone sometimes.

My social life is still a little sparse, but things are starting to fill in. I'm pretty much OK with how things are now rather than constantly being worried about it. But I do still make an effort to do stuff to just put myself out there socially because I know that it's not good for me to be alone all the time.

And while drinking I could more easily enter into those superficial conversations with anybody, it took me years to build up a circle of close drinking and using buddies. I accept that it may take some time to really build meaningful sober friendships.

I actually think that early in recovery, there is so much about our selves and our own lives that we need to examine, that maybe it is a good thing not to have too many social distractions.