Notices

Discipline is something you learn

Old 10-29-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Discipline is something you learn

So, I'm quite publicly quitting smoking at work as everybody has noticed me being more irritable at times. There's a guy that teacher martial arts classes and he was telling me about when he quit, tips and all that.

He said something that rang very true, I'm paraphrasing but it went something like this.

"The thing is, you train yourself to be disciplined, to have a work ethic. Like a muscle. People think your born with it but you don't, if someone never lifts a finger a day in their life and is then put on a 12 hour shift they'll struggle psychologically. You have to build it up like lifting, deny yourself certain things, make yourself work when you want to play. Bit by bit. If you do too much at once you'll give up. You can't expect to wake up from being a slob to being a dynamo the next day, just like you don't go from obese to athlete in a day."

I never thought of it that way, but I think that's great advice for improving yourself and making life easier in general.

No Relapse, No Surrender.

Tom.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I found the book No Excuses by Brian Tracy to be helpful in my quest to develop self-discipline.

As your co-worker alluded, training your brain, is much like training your muscles.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is so true, Thomas. Exerting your will is like building physical strength- the more you do it the better you get at it.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good point Thomas

I bought the chimp paradox book yesterday you might like it ?