Notices

Flare-Ups

Old 10-29-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Y'know...I'm not sure it's necessary, or good manners, to out an AA member Stevie - and I'm glad you're not proofing my posts ...

Seems a lot of folks here subscribe to the theory, but everyone has the choice to go with it or not

It's not worth getting het up over

D
Forum posts are not the same as someone who is attempting to sound authoritative about something when they can't even write very well and offer no cites. Sort of destroys credibility IMO.

I'm just a natural-born skeptic who doesn't believe everything she reads, is all.

I'm not het up, just wanted to throw my take on it into the ring, even though it's not the majority position. Also I think that misinformation can be harmful - I certainly don't see it as a good thing that I can expect to feel crappy for three days (or a period of time peaking at day three, the text is confusing) every month on the dot, or with a full moon or whatever. That too easily can become a self-fulfilling assumption.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can see where you might get the impression from reading the link such things are inevitable.

In my experience they are anything but inevitable. I had a few episodes of what I categorise as PAWs after my 90 days and before my 120.

they didn't last 3 days.... and they never recurred again

This is a good link - including ways we can deal with various issues
PAWS | Digital Dharma

D
Old 10-29-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

That explains a lot...

Awooooooooohhhhhhh!

Ps: always learning here . Love it!
Old 10-29-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

original is here:
Flare Up Periods

Interesting site

we had a Dan here in the early days of SR - before my time...dunno if it's the same guy. Someone else here might now

D

I'm thinking it was dangerous Dan from up in Canada . Might have been his username from another site Chy started back in 06-07.
Had a great grasp on everything to do with alcoholism. Had a heart attack 5 years back. But he died sober.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Zing - that's the guy I was thinking of. I'd forgotten he was a Canadian.
He left us some good posts

D
Old 10-29-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Zing - that's the guy I was thinking of. I'd forgotten he was a Canadian.
He left us some good posts

D

Was his membership deleted? As I said, he went by dangerous Dan but, maybe he had a different username on here.
I opened another page to look at the members. Whew lot to go through.
Pretty amazing to think of actually. You down there in Australia being able to converse back and forth on here .
Old 10-29-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Uh-oh, I'm almost 6 months.....WATCH OUT! Here I come!

Bunn€z
Old 10-29-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

This is great info to be aware of. Thanks for posting!
Old 10-29-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
Was his membership deleted? As I said, he went by dangerous Dan but, maybe he had a different username on here.
I opened another page to look at the members. Whew lot to go through.
Pretty amazing to think of actually. You down there in Australia being able to converse back and forth on here .
He went by 'Dan' here as far as I know. Unless I got the wrong bloke, his profiles still there
D
Old 10-29-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Cool A Caveat for Newcomers

I believe the guy who wrote the 'flare-up' article is from CA (California, not Canada): Orange County, CA; San Jose, CA; and now Reno NV.

The main problem I had with the article............?.............:

"...The term "flare up periods" or "flare ups" refer to definite time periods during which the recovering alcoholic/addict experiences an increased amount of tension and anxiety..."

"...Flare ups occur at predictable intervals..."

"...The first step in dealing with a flare up is to expect them and watch for the signs..."

In my experience, many A's can be very susceptible to suggestions. The above quotes seem to be telling folks that they will experience these symptoms, and everyone's going to experience them (well not everyone, but a lot), just like after T. Gorski wrote his PAWS Syndrome, everyone came down with PAWS.

Neither I, nor most of my recovered friends, experienced PAWS (actually only one, and only a very few of the symptoms); we didn't experience 'flare-ups' either. So take what you read with a grain of salt; possibilities; not necessarily probabilities.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 10-29-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

I'm still going to subscribe to the "I'm going to come back even happier" part after I ride this wave through. :-)
Oh, and Canadians rock.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

This is interesting to me and can relate. I think I have definitely experienced a "flare-up" which has led to relapse. The timeframes are surprisingly accurate, based on my experience too. The whole dopamine explanation makes sense.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:32 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Yikes - certainly didn't mean to fuel any controversy or to suggest that the down side of these cycles was inevitable or something to worry about!

For me, this post was very helpful when I first saw it, because it illustrated an idea that when things got difficult in sobriety, it might signal that I was just about to feel EVEN better if I could just hang in there for another couple of days.

That's how I read it. Like a fever means your body is fighting infection.

In early recovery I scoured these boards & saw many posts that were worrisome. I didn't have withdrawal, & have moved through these first three months relatively smoothly! But I do have discouraging days now & then & whether these are due to brain repair cycles or moon cycles or just a crappy coincidence of bad day - doesn't really matter to me. What I most need to know is - this too shall pass. I am healing. Everything is going to be ok!

I wish I had someone to hug me & murmur the above in my ear, but the little bits & pieces we share on these boards & in meetings is going to have to do...
Old 10-30-2014, 02:26 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

I read it the same way you did heartcore - no worries

D
Old 10-30-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Noelle,

Were you able to find the post on here? I googled and came up with a post from Hope on here with a similar post.

I find everything by accident and never by intention surfing the net
Old 10-30-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks, heartcore; very interesting.