Notices

How long?

Old 10-29-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long?

I'm sure that this has been asked before (maybe even by me) but I can't remember. I am really BATTLING cravings! I feel like I am in a WAR and I am NOT giving up this time.

What I REALLY need is a "light at the end of the tunnel". For those of you that have some significant sobriety, can you tell me when the cravings start getting easier/go away?

My first round of sobriety (when I had almost 6 years) I didn't have any cravings. This time the cravings are insane! :-(

Thx so much! (((Need hope)))

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 10-29-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

My last craving was at 5 months sober just after last christmas last year
Old 10-29-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Serenidad, instead of battling, fighting, warring etc, which isn't working that well, why don't you try urge surfing? It's really effective, no fighting involved.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lly-works.html

This is working well for me. Instead of engaging in a lengthy back-and-forth over whether or not to drink (which I frequently lose) I sit back and watch.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It seems that each relapse and return to sobriety become harder. I don't think there is a set time for cravings to stop. It seems to be different for everyone.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The more we create the habit the harder it is to break and the cravings to subside!!

For me I saw a noticeable difference after a few months, but it's different for everyone.

Hang in there!!
Old 10-29-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
It seems that each relapse and return to sobriety become harder. I don't think there is a set time for cravings to stop. It seems to be different for everyone.
So the point is....just make it through each craving and they will get easier, right?

Old 10-29-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hang in there, you are almost over day 4.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Serenidad-
So the point is....just make it through each craving and they will get easier, right?
It should absolutely get better. It might help to look for something new to do in your life, that way you might not feel the cravings as bad. In-other-words, find something to take your mind off of them for a bit.

More info HERE.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I noticed a decline in cravings at around six months. They became less and less, and not as strong.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The cravings started getting less and less, but it was between 6-9 months that they became almost a non-factor in my life. When I rode the cravings out, I was always amazed how short in length they lasted (at the most an hour or two). If I could make it past 7 pm, I was always so happy that I didn't drink, because the desire had passed.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
That sounds like as good of an assessment as any. You are still most likely in the very, very early stages of acute physcial withdrawal so that shouldn't last more than a week or 10 days at worst. I think for me the hardcore cravings ended at about 2 weeks.

Working a solid program, having tools like urge-surfing, ect all help tremendously though. If all you are doing is "not drinking", the urges can be much stronger and especially when you have idle time.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The cravings were with me for two years first time round in AA. spiritually asleep with no program.

Spiritual awakening... Cravings gone.

Shazam
Old 10-29-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me the cravings were intense the first 30 days, less until day 60 and then things got pretty good from there.

The thing to remember is - you can endure them...they do pass...and they will fade away in time

have you checked out this link?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 10-29-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Alcoholism is a progressive disease
Old 10-29-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The first week or two, like Scott said above - those were the worst for me. Then they pretty much went away. I get an occasional thought but I wouldn't even call it an urge. So it definitely does get better! As you know, from having six years of sobriety

Urge surfing. Try it It worked for me.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
Hi Serenidad, instead of battling, fighting, warring etc, which isn't working that well, why don't you try urge surfing? It's really effective, no fighting involved. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lly-works.html This is working well for me. Instead of engaging in a lengthy back-and-forth over whether or not to drink (which I frequently lose) I sit back and watch.
Thanks Stevie, I have tried urge surfing before but it's not very effective for me for some reason. I've gotten through today by eating lots of food and keeping busy. I just keep telling myself that drinking is not an option!