Notices

Fitness question.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fitness question.

I have been sober for almost 4 months. Since stopping drinking, I have lost 30 pounds (my weight has always been the real monkey on my back) and am amazed at how my body is celebrating sobriety with good blood pressure and WFL blood tests for everything.

Now, I am actually someone who enjoys being physically active, but due to my weight, always stopped myself from doing things. Probably stupid of me, but I think it was also a protective reflex. I like to be good at everything, so when I wasn't the fastest, strongest, blah, blah, I would give up and say I was too fat. Stopped riding horses, playing tennis, swimming, running, lifting weights and took up drinking. I was REALLY good at that.

Tonight, I went out for a walk/jog. Now, in the past, it took me, no joking, about 6 weeks to be able to run a mile. I would be out of breath, chest pounding, legs burning, all the stuff. It's part of the reason I waited so long to get back to it. I felt AMAZING. I only stopped running because I was back home again. What???

Was alcohol the reason I was having so much trouble training?? I can't even comprehend this. I seriously came in from my walk/run without even being out of breath, no red face, no sweat. My heart rate was only slightly elevated and I was ALWAYS dizzy after working out. I'm fine. I swear, if all those years of killing myself to be in shape (I was in shape) were so difficult because I was actively drinking..... Just one more thing I wasted away. Seriously. I am not sure if I should be glad to learn this or so sad.

Drinking is such a waste of time and effort. Nothing good can come of it. Good for us for stopping. Has anyone else experienced anything like this??

Onward. But at a faster pace now.....
Old 10-28-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's awesome! I'm not doctor or scientician, but I have read that alcohol adversely affects the cardiovascular system in users. I'm sure the lack of booze and the fact that you lost 30 pounds helped a lot. Good job, I think that is fantastic!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey VikingGF,

I used exercise to the fullest when I stopped and still try to. I found that very hard cardio sessions would quash most of the desires to drink. I'd feel so relaxed afterwards, that it sort of took the place of booze. At least a little bit. I also hit it hard in an effort to reinvent myself, which I feel is key to being booze-free.

As far as your question, perhaps you're sleeping much deeper which results in more energy? I did notice that for myself. I went from five hours of sleep to 7+ and I felt a world of difference in the mornings. I never really had hangovers per se, but I did feel tired and zero energy in the morning. It's amazing how I feel now.

Whatever the case, it sounds like you're 'rocken' things. Nice job and congrats on the shedded pounds! Some of the many benefits of not drinking.
Good for us for stopping.
Yes-yes!!!
Old 10-28-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I absolutely love this post! How exciting for you and inspiring for others! Thanks so much for sharing this.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Viking - I used to workout 3-4 times a week. Now I can hardly mow the lawn without being winded. Alcohol effects every system of your body. Yes. Alcohol kicked your a$$ and mine too! It is poison. Period
Old 10-28-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Viking, how wonderful and motivating for you! I do believe that our bodies simply "move" and function so much more efficiently once we stop feeding it alcohol.
I have yet to make 4 months like you (yay for you, so inspiring!)) despite varying stretches of sobriety over the past few years, but I do know that there is a huge difference in my endurance and physical ability when I'm weeks/months away from booze. Also so many of my physical "ailments" that I thought were just part of me (ridges on fingernails, sweating heavily, dried out hair that doesn't seem to grow, red face, sharp stomach pains) slowly disappeared when I stopped drinking.
I think you will be amazed at what your body can do without alcohol, I know I am
Old 10-28-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One day at a time...

As someone who's on Day 2 and feeling pretty defeated, that was insanely inspiring to read. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm a competitive distance runner and I can't even tell you how many times I've completely wasted weeks of good hard training by going on binges.

During the stretches of time in which I've been at least relatively sober, I've set personal records and finished quite well in large races.

When drinking regularly, I missed a lot of training opportunities and often injured myself when I actually got around to it.

Now that I'm in permanent sobriety, I can't wait to see what happens next season.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's awesome Viking! I'm not sure about the booze affecting the actual training itself. I would make the goals of running and losing weight, but I was too focused on the drink or recovering from it the next day and never made a full effort on it at all because of it. I share the joy of your experience as I have also lost 25 pounds since May, and being sober lets me make the effort. It's an amazing feeling to break those personal records, isn't it? Sort of like an additional high on top of the runners high. Not to mention the health benefits!!
Old 10-28-2014, 11:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's awesome! I'm working hard at getting fit too (actually I should be lifting instead of typing!).
Old 10-29-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That is fantastic! I want to feel like this too
Old 10-29-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You just reminded me - about 2 months ago, I bought a brand new cross-trainer.
Spent 3 hours trying to get it out of the box (it arrived in a million pieces) - gave up and I've only just remembered it
Old 10-29-2014, 12:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Very inspiring
Old 10-29-2014, 01:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It inspired me to get off the computer for a while to work out! Yesterday was "my day" to lift but I had too many things to do. I used to break it down to legs one day and upper body the next but now I do them both together. At any rate, I got my workout in for the day so I feel better.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Viking,
Yes I have. I have a bowflex and have been motivated to use it only a couple times a year. I would start and then slack off again. But I always kept a log of weight used, exercise, reps. Last time I used it was in Feb. I started again a couple days ago. I've been dry a little over a month. I noticed that for every exercise, I was doing significantly more reps then back in Feb. Not only that, my muscle recovery always took 3-4 days. It seems that this time, it was only 2. I can think of no other reason then my body is not busy processing alcohol. Something good is going on!
Old 10-29-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This thread is making me smile!!
Old 10-29-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Continue sharing your own ESH- experiences,
strengths and hopes of what your life was and
is likem before, during and after alcohol. Not
only are you helping others but it also keeps
recovery front and centered and you sober,
healthy and happy.

Good Job....!!!!!!!