SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Alcohol Triggers- Smoking Tobacco (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/349094-alcohol-triggers-smoking-tobacco.html)

DickySix 10-28-2014 01:00 PM

Alcohol Triggers- Smoking Tobacco

So is there a link between smoking a cigarette and drinking?

When I drink I always need a cigarette on hand. So what if i were to stop smoking?

Currently trialing this at the moment. Is it possible that my morning smoke is contributing to the erge to pick up the bottle?

What are everyones thoughts?

Dee74 10-28-2014 04:06 PM

There definitely was for me - I had to smoke when I drank, or smoked pot, but rarely otherwise.

I gave them all up the same day - apart from one half cig 3 months in, I've been good to go since then, Dicky :)

D

Neverwill 12-14-2014 05:58 AM

It's just the opposite for me. I'm addicted to both alcohol and cigarettes, but every attempt I've made in the past to quit smoking went out the window after a few drinks. I never feel that I must drink if I smoke but I always feel I must smoke if I drink. Personally, I realize I must focus on my sobriety at this time. At some point, when I'm comfortable, I'll turn my attention to ridding myself of the camels too.

erin8 12-14-2014 06:26 AM

It's always going to be a "bad day" to quit. I've decided to quit both at the same time. I'm using an e-cig though so its not quite the same as cold turkey. Its really amazing what you can do when you *really* want to though. Some people may say that its too much to handle at once but I think that's just their addictions talking. I'm looking at this whole thing as a big band-aid that I'm ripping off quickly.

MIRecovery 12-14-2014 06:45 AM

There is no way I could have given them up at the same time. Quitting smoking was challenging to say the least

kittycat3 12-14-2014 07:05 AM

I'd say quit whatever is causing the most damage first. For me and for most I'd guess that's drinking. Do whatever you need to do to keep off the booze. If smoking helps you stay sober, then so be it and quit that later.

newpage119 12-14-2014 08:05 AM

Smoking and drinking

I have been reading and reading and reading...about alcohol and recovery. Anything I can get my hands on...so I can't say exactly WHERE I read that "there are 8 neurotransmitters in the brain, 5 are affected by alcohol, the other 3 by nicotine." That is why they so hand in hand, a perfect duet!

ArtFriend 12-14-2014 08:10 AM

I always smoked when I drank coffee and drank alcohol. But I quit smoking in 1991 and kept drinking anyway...

erin8 12-14-2014 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by erin8 (Post 5075552)
It's always going to be a "bad day" to quit. I've decided to quit both at the same time. I'm using an e-cig though so its not quite the same as cold turkey. Its really amazing what you can do when you *really* want to though. Some people may say that its too much to handle at once but I think that's just their addictions talking. I'm looking at this whole thing as a big band-aid that I'm ripping off quickly.

then again I'm still brand new at this so ... I'll let you know how it goes. :a213:

jacksbean 01-02-2015 12:45 PM

I think that smoking is the only thing keeping me sober right now actually

PrettyAngelDove 01-02-2015 01:29 PM

I could easily fit into a smokers anonymous meeting as well. I been smoking since I was 7 yrs old (of course not that often at first)..I even broke some bones trying to quit before along with many other things I did to be able to smoke. I would say use your own judgment rather to give up smoking. But yes, I do believe they go hand and hand when drinking. Why I say that is I smoked like 3 packs a night while drinking.

Janis 01-02-2015 01:46 PM

I end up drinking when I smoke. It's weird. It's like I drink to be able to smoke more. IDK, I quit at about the same time as the drinking. It goes hand in hand for me and I can't take any chances.

Jen73 02-11-2015 01:49 PM

Smoking goes with Alcohol, But I can't quit both at the same time. I been smoking since I was in 6 grade. I can quit smoking when I was pregnant, but when I wasn't I smoke again. Since, I stop drinking, which I am still in my early days, I smoke more cigs than normally. When I drink, I can smoke two packs a day. But, my mind doesn't work like that. Smoking gives me the temporary to calm my nerves down when I have the urge to drink or when I am board.

I have cold turkey 3 times in my life and the longest was 3 years, after that I started up again and cant stop.

I do vape here and there, I decide to quit one thing at a time. Yes, I know cigs are bad for you and it can kill you. But, it isn't like drinking. That is my opinion though!!

Northlander 02-11-2015 02:35 PM

I joined a stop smoking forum first, and based on that experience, joined SR about a month later. I could smoke without drinking, but drinking without smoking was a challenge of the first order.

The beauty part was when people asked me why I wasn't drinking I could just say "I gave up smoking and booze is a trigger." I wasn't ready to come out as an alcoholic and even two years later, I still haven't.

A lot of the stop smoking sites suggest people stop drinking for at least the first three months of their quit. Drinking screwed up a 13-year cigarette quit for me, I wound up smoking again for 6 years, even though I am a cancer survivor. That's what the booze does.

Good luck and keep posting!

Carlotta 02-11-2015 03:03 PM

For me the two addictions were unrelated. I did not quit smoking until I was almost 2 years sober since my priority was sobriety.
If you feel that for you the two are tied then give it a go just make sure that you have more to your plan to achieve sobriety than not lighting up.

Champagnecharli 03-01-2015 11:09 AM

I'm trying to do both at the
Moment....I'm on day one so far so good x

ru12 03-01-2015 11:35 AM

Smoking kills far more people than booze. But I didn't generally threaten society while smoking... Unless I dropped that damn thing in my lap when I was driving, then I was a complete maniac until I captured that b@stard... And I know you all have done the same thing! It kind of focuses the mind to the present moment.

Cohiba 03-01-2015 11:47 AM

I used to be a heavy smoker, then last year managed to cut it down to only when I am drinking/sniffing so hoping this means now it will be stopping for good :)

mcfearless 06-26-2015 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by jacksbean (Post 5112052)
I think that smoking is the only thing keeping me sober right now actually

And caffeine in my case. I have a twisp (e-cig) which I plan to go back to but I want to give myself 3 months sobriety first. One thing at a time.

mcfearless 06-26-2015 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by ru12 (Post 5232616)
Smoking kills far more people than booze. But I didn't generally threaten society while smoking... Unless I dropped that damn thing in my lap when I was driving, then I was a complete maniac until I captured that b@stard... And I know you all have done the same thing! It kind of focuses the mind to the present moment.

Ha ha ! Yesterday ! Emergency lights on and pandemonium in traffic. I got more than a few gestures of the one fingered variety. And the buggers(cigs) always find themselves right where you can't get them easily!