Notices

Alcohol Triggers- Smoking Tobacco

Old 06-26-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Day 2 no drinking. Day 1 no smoking. I have wondered about this connection too. Both activities bring me down and I want to build myself up. I guess if worse comes to worse, I would pick up the cigarettes before alcohol. Hopefully that will not happen.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yes, drinking always makes me want to smoke. And I usually do then.

Gave the cigs up on a daily basis years ago. The first few weeks were hard, but I made it. I never crave smoking now, unless I pick up. So, for me, the 2 evils go hand in hand. And they will both kill you.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I quit smoking for 8 weeks or so during my last drinking quit. Then I relapsed on both within days. Funny, or not, how that happens. So for me yes it is a trigger. I think alcohol mainly triggers the smoking. Like I need a smoke when I drink, I need to smoke when Im hung over etc...
Old 07-09-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Question Cigs

Giving up two strong addictions is wicked hard - perhaps the booze first and the cigs later? Gives your body try to process?
Old 10-25-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Smoking cigarette and drinking alcohol are different from each other. it is a fact that nicotine addiction is stronger than to be dependency on alcohol. It requires more effort to give up. Actually we must totaly give them up but it is it hasn't to be done at the same time. the combining withdrawals will be very hard to bear.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Quitting either one is really hard. I think quitting smoking may be the hardest but giving up drinking was a massive undertaking that took years to get around to. I quit drinking twenty years or so after I gave up a heavy smoking habit. I got through the cig withdrawals by drinking lots of crappy beer. Quitting drinking didn't even occur to me back then!

I don't want to sound harsh but if you need to quit both habits then do it! Stop making excuses. I'm currently fifty years old and my old smoking buddies who didn't quit are starting to die and it's gross and pitiful! What do I tell my kids when Aunt Julie dies of lung cancer? Uncle Steve strokes out at 61? Of course I tell them don't ever start using nicotine but it still sucks!

The best thing about quitting smoking is that after a year you're golden. Drinking is more insidious in my opinion. Remember, nothing is going to make you feel better about quitting either one except time. Just don't start again and things do get better.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DickySix View Post
So is there a link between smoking a cigarette and drinking?

When I drink I always need a cigarette on hand. So what if i were to stop smoking?

Currently trialing this at the moment. Is it possible that my morning smoke is contributing to the erge to pick up the bottle?

What are everyones thoughts?
FOR ME A CIG HELPED ME TO GET THROUGH MY ALCOHOL CRAVINGS AND WHEN I STOPPED SMOKING I WAS A WRECK. I NEVER HEARD OF A LINK BETWEEN SMOKING AND WANTING TO DRINK I JUST KNOW CIGS GOT ME THROUGH A VERY ROUGH FIRST YEAR AND I SEE A LOT OF SMOKERS AT MEETINGS. FOR ME IT RELIEVED MY STRESS. WHEN I STOPPED SMOKING THEN I WAS A NUT. FREAKING OUT AT EVERYTHING AND EVENTUALLY AFTER 4 years STARTED SMOKING AGAIN. HOPE THIS HELPS
Old 10-25-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ru12 View Post
Smoking kills far more people than booze. But I didn't generally threaten society while smoking... Unless I dropped that damn thing in my lap when I was driving, then I was a complete maniac until I captured that b@stard... And I know you all have done the same thing! It kind of focuses the mind to the present moment.
Dropping a cig in your lap is better than drinking and driving and killing others and possibly yourself
Old 12-08-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

WOW wonderful story I must say, I really liked your spirit and I'm gonna need to feature your story on my blog soon.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I tried dozens of times to stop smoking but I felt it was impossible when I drank.
I could put the cigs down for days but when I drank I found they both went hand in hand . Association I think Allen Carr called it .
I broke free from the cigs 4 years past and took up the e-cigs .
Personally when I slipped up with my sobriety last Month having a cigarette never entered my mind .
Old 12-08-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Mucer!!
Old 12-12-2015, 10:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I guess it all depends on person to person. I love your spirit and thanks for sharing with us.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I know if I smoke or vape, my AV or cravings get much more loud. So nicotine makes it harder for me to not drink. Same with caffine.
My 2 cents.