Notices

Is AA a cult?

Old 10-28-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is AA a cult?

So I've attended several different AA meetings, found a home group, and found a sponsor. Overall, I'm happy with the program but still really new (haven't even done the first step yet). But I ran across something claiming that AA is akin to a cult. I google it, and found a lot of supporters of this theory, although it didn't seem that people who claim its a cult have ever actually BEEN in AA, just studied it.

The claims were that it demands absolute reverence for "the program." That it tries to break you down and tell you that you "are nothing" and have no power, and that you WILL FAIL in your battle with alcoholism without AA.

Just curious if anyone who has actually BEEN to AA agrees with this. I'm just trying to be really careful about how and where I get support. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've found it to be nothing akin to a *cult*

The group I've found and enjoy are just a group of people trying to support each in their quest to stop drinking.

The meetings (that i go to) are studies of the textbook/Big Book.

Friendly people with many sober years...and willing to HELP those who need it and are open to it!

I.E -- ME!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm not currently in AA but have been in the past, and I don't believe it's a 'cult'. There are some 'hard core' AAers who think that no one can get/stay sober without AA, but that's just some members, not the program itself.

I don't think it's a cult.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think that's for you to decided. I left AA many years ago. One of the reasons was when I voiced that I used SR online I was told to stop. It wasn't part of the "program".
Old 10-28-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you read it on the Internet it must be true

AA is what you make of it. In the meetings I attend there are some people who believe AA is the only way and must be a part of every thought you have. I find the saying "take what you need and leave the rest" to be very helpful and true.

I enjoy most meetings and really like all of the varied and thought provoking perspectives people have.

Work your own sobriety and do what works for you.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Old 10-28-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me....all I know is....what ever
this AA program that Ive been in for
the past 24 yrs. that I've been living
and incorporating in my everyday life
and has allowed me to change into a
happier, healthier, honest person I can
possibly be today, then if its a cult or
whatever you want to call it, then im
all for it.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The last page of the basic AA text it states "Our book is meant to be suggestive only".

AAs third tradition states "the only requirement for (AA) membership is a desire to stop drinking".

These are just a few of the positions taken by the early membership to insure that AA does NOT become a cult.

Sometimes people will talk about "the program" (the 12 steps) like it's mandatory in order to be part of AA, or like it's only way to get sober. These folks are simply incorrect.

I suggest that you form your own opinion of AA through personal experience. Then you can form your own opinion, as well as an opinion about those who call it a cult.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I would not belong to any cult which would have me as a member.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by so2014 View Post
you WILL FAIL in your battle with alcoholism without AA.
This is untrue, and if you look around SR, you will find many people who recover without AA.

But, if you are using AA now and it's working for you, then that's great.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've never been to AA and have achieved Sobriety, different recovery programs/plans work for different people, it's all about getting the right tools in the tool box to achieve the goal of Sobriety!!

The means are not important, it's the result and outcome that is the key!!
Old 10-28-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by so2014 View Post
So I've attended several different AA meetings, found a home group, and found a sponsor. Overall, I'm happy with the program but still really new (haven't even done the first step yet). But I ran across something claiming that AA is akin to a cult. I google it, and found a lot of supporters of this theory, although it didn't seem that people who claim its a cult have ever actually BEEN in AA, just studied it.

The claims were that it demands absolute reverence for "the program." That it tries to break you down and tell you that you "are nothing" and have no power, and that you WILL FAIL in your battle with alcoholism without AA.

Just curious if anyone who has actually BEEN to AA agrees with this. I'm just trying to be really careful about how and where I get support. Thanks.
You can find claims on the internet to support or tear down just about anything you want.

What's important is whether or not you think AA is helping you in your life and with your sobriety. If it is, keep doing it. If not, find something else.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

:

Last edited by Fly N Buy; 10-28-2014 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Best to sit this one out......
Old 10-28-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Interestingly enough it's still open for posts!!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...cult-like.html
Old 10-28-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change....
Old 10-28-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Flynbuy.

I thank God for the "edit" feature here several times a day.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The steps of AA have helped me to become a better person period. Also great for helping you stay sober. I was skeptical when I first found AA, but I understand. I tell one of my non alkie friends that these steps man, these steps...just a better way to live your life. A clean, honest, less stressful life.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
AA member

Old 10-28-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've read some of those sites. Sure, some AA members can seem and/or get fanatical. "The AA way Is the only way" because it works for them and they want to share what they've found. But you have that in any organization on earth. I attend AA and have run into some people like that but the overwhelming majority of people are just alcoholics from all walks of life, trying to stay sober. They are like any other group of people. Some you like, some you don't care for so much.

The people posting on the "AA is a horrible cult" websites seem to me more like fanatical zealots than the AA members I've met because they don't leave any room for a difference of opinion. I've read their responses to comments left by happy AA members and they gave me the impression that they are condescending, narrow minded and implacable, leaving no room for differing opinions. That AA might not be a cult and that it does work for a lot of people.

Suki and Carlotta, thanks for the laugh!
Old 10-28-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I went to a few AA meetings and found it not for me. I found that particular group to be very set in their way being the only way and I disagreed with that. But that doesn't make them a cult. It works for a lot of people and I'm happy it's there for that reason. But it's not my path.