Notices

Slammed with depression

Old 10-28-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slammed with depression

I feel like I have lost all the momentum I had going for me. I am super depressed today. It hit like a tidal wave.

I have suffered from depression most of my life and it comes and goes. This depression - since I have stopped drinking - is pretty scary. Author William Styron (who wrote Sophie's Choice) called it a "howling tempest in the brain". His depression started also when he gave up alcohol after using for 40 years. He wrote about it in a short book called Darkness Visible.

It's a struggle
Old 10-28-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear that ArtFriend. Have you, or are you currently seeking any professional help for your depression? It's a very treatable condition for most.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry, that really sucks. I have no good advice but hope you start feeling better soon.

Any meds? i went on anti-depression meds years ago and they've made a world of difference. Just a thought.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh, ArtFriend, I am really sorry to hear this. Have you called your doctor?
Old 10-28-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes, on anti-depressants...maybe not a therapeutic dose or wrong kind.

Clinical depression (like I have) is not contingent on circumstances generally...more of a chemical imbalance. I wonder if this particular imbalance is due to body not having alcohol?
Old 10-28-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am sorry, ArtFriend. Often it takes our bodies a good while to level out. I hope yours does sooner rather than later.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry Artfriend hang in there bud
Old 10-28-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Since I sobered up, I have been struggling with bouts of depression. I think mine may be situational depression however. Dealing with the aftermath of years of drinking and the damage I caused to my life has been hard. My self-esteem took a big hit.

AD's didn't seem to really work for me but I do see a therapist who has been very helpful in sorting through my anguish.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Maybe ask your doctor about trying a different antiD and see if that helps. And no, the chemical imbalance is in the brain chemicals, and not because of being sober. Getting sober made my depression much better and now that I'm not drinking, my meds work as they should.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It might be worth seeing your Dr, AF?

D
Old 10-28-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

ArtFriend,

I know the kind of depression you are talking about. In my case it began decades before my drinking. Alcohol was an attempt at self-medication. But, I needed to get the depression properly treated to recover and it took 3 different medications to find one that worked and then fine-tuning the dose. What I know is, don't give up. Try another medication, another doctor. There is hope.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Artfriend, you 're so supportive, you're an inspiration to me. So sorry you are feeling down (((())))
Old 10-28-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
oak

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
I wonder if this particular imbalance is due to body not having alcohol?
I get what you are saying about the depression getting worse since giving up alcohol. Yet- I cannot imagine that alcohol would truly help depression, since alcohol is a depressant. Sometimes, alcohol suppresses emotions temporarily and those emotions come more up to consciousness when someone gets sober.

The best book I ever read about helping depression was Feeling Good by David Burns. It's easy to read, even when quite depressed. Lots of helpful tools in it.

I can also really identify which what you wrote, about being hit by the depression and kind of swept away by it. I am healing from lots of childhood trauma, and I feel very shaky in sobriety and almost overwhelmed by emotional pain this week. I keep reminding myself that if I stay sober, I will feel better. (I did suggest to my therapist that maybe drinking this week would help me get through the pain, but he didn't agree. I mostly know that drinking will actually make it much worse.)

I've dealt with depression too. It is hard because one's thoughts and motivation changes when depressed. Get as much support as you can. Talk to your doctor. Therapy can help, even when the depression is not situational.

Know that you will feel better (if you stay sober). (even if you are sure that is not true right now)
Old 10-28-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My depression..lethargy and lack of motivation was really, really difficult in my first couple of months.

I finally went to the doc with respect to the overwhelming anxiety..and we discussed my ADD as well.

He explained how my ADD was contributing to my anxiety and prescribed something. It has changed my life. Don't get me wrong ..I still get anxiety..but it's over actually anxiety making things...

NOT why I can't clean my house.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your continual support. What I really appreciate about this forum is that there really is no sense of judgment and/or cynicism. People actually care and want to help.

And that is golden!!
Old 10-28-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thumbs up I, too, have Clinical Depression.

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
yes, on anti-depressants...maybe not a therapeutic dose or wrong kind.

Clinical depression (like I have) is not contingent on circumstances generally...more of a chemical imbalance. I wonder if this particular imbalance is due to body not having alcohol?
ArtFriend, I have been on my prescription cocktail for decades and it has worked wonders. I will be 30 days sober on Halloween and have not noticed any depression signs, thank the good Lord. Based on my AA visits and the literature we read, my body and mind are in for some serious changes. Mid November, I have an annual physical. I will unload my sobriety on my personal physician because I can't go it alone and I will not trade one addiction for another.
See a professional as soon as you can schedule an appointment. You will feel so much better being in control! Much success.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey ArtFriend, I just wanted to add some support too. I hope this will pass soon, and you get back to the way you want to feel.

~Stay strong~
Old 10-28-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sorry you are feeling so down, ArtFriend. I also suggest that you see a professional. Depression is something to be taken seriously. I wasn't depressed after I quit drinking, but had a very nasty episode once while drinking. Never saw anyone about it and it was very hard. Eventually it lifted after about 6 months, but I wish I had sought help earlier.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Artfriend
I've battled depression for almost 30 years. I've come to terms with it now and kind of learned to live with it, knowing that some days will be very dark but that they won't all be. If you've been on your meds for a while it may be that they need reviewing, or it may just be a bad spell that you will come out of. Keep talking (((hugs)))