Notices

28 days sober

Old 10-28-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Just another day...

28 days sober

I have made it 28 days and attended a halloween party with my husband and a friend over the weekend. The party was 45 minutes away and I did not want to stay the night so I was the DD which made sense since I was staying sober.

The party was interesting and annoying. I did a lot of people watching. Watched how normal drinkers drank vs alcoholics. Watched how sober people acted and what they drank. Why is it sober people bring 1 non alcoholic drink for an entire evening? They will refill that bottle with water later on but thats it. I brought 2 diet vernors, 2 energy drinks..monster that is sugar free, I brought a cup from home that I filled up with water a few times and I also found an unopened 2 liter of vernors that I opened and drank some of. I think I had to pee just as much as the drinkers, yet I was sober. I think its that I don't know what to do with my hands since I always carried a drink around.

After this experience I do not want to go to another party for awhile. I dealt with it fine, still do not have any intentions to drink. I know I cannot moderate. I know one will mean 20 and Im back at day 1. I know Im still vulnerable. My husband tells me everyday that he is proud of me for not drinking and said he liked that there was no drinking when he was home from hunting camp. However, he did drink too much saturday night. He felt like such poop sunday that he put off leaving to hunting camp till today. lol. Glad it wasn't me!

So day 28 sober and day 2 free of pop/soda..not even diet. I have been reading bad things that come with the sweetener in diet drinks so I am giving those up now. In the past I got what is called geographic tongue when I chew gums with artificial sweetener. So I gave up gum. Its kinda gross but its pretty much like you burned your tongue in patches. Then I noticed it when I would drink jim beam and diet cherry 7 up. So I didn't drink that much. I woke up sunday morning with it again and I had drank a lot of diet pop over the weekend. So no more of that. Which sux, I love diet pepsi and diet vernors. Oh well. My son is starting up some training to prepare for baseball in the spring, he is not supposed to have any pop, esp diet his trainer said, so that is easily done now.

Now I am off to do some grocery shopping..1st day back to work tomorrow since July 24th. Looking forward to it but not. lol Have a wonderful day everyone!
Old 10-28-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

congrats on 28 days,
as for the drinking part of it, yeah, I found myself doing the same thing, I 'packed' like I was doing heavy drinking, vitamin water, seltzers and plain water, - that having a drink in your hands.
But if that what it takes, then keep it up. Eventually you will be able to 'moderate' non-alcoholic drinking. In time you won't even notice you don't drink as much.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

28 days is fantastic Fiona

well done on not drinking at the party
Old 10-28-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the 28 days. I have to say you sound incredibly self-aware. I think the rational side of thinking plays well with the recovery process. again, congrats!!! great work.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 28 days. I know it can be challenging with a spouse who's drinking. Keep it up. I'm right there with ya!
Old 10-28-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober months.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you're doing well.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

congrats... 28 days is awesome!

and congrats at going to a party without wanting to drink! that's also wonderfull!

keep up the good work!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

28 Days is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Thank you! It felt great to wake up sunday and have no hangover while my husband suffered. He asked me to go get him food. I told him no. I told him to get his lazy hungover a$$ up and take me out to lunch since it was our last day together before he left for hunting camp. So he did. Then he decided to wait till today. lol I think I am self aware because of coming here and reading posts and comments. I never really thought of having a relapse days later after going to a function and staying sober at it. There was a post on here about that recently and people gave comments. I read what everyone had to say and took it to heart. I keep that in my head 24/7. Just because I may feel proud and confident that I survived a party where there was A LOT of drinking and drugs and I stayed sober, I can't get too cocky. I still have a ways to go in this. But I feel better and better each day I wake up sober no matter what the day brings me.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 28 days, Fiona. Have you tried any of the sparkling waters with natural flavors? Good stuff.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Just another day...

I used to drink a store brand of sparkling water but it advertised it as being 0 calories so im going to have to read the labels and see if there are artificial sweeteners in it. But I will for surely shop for some now that you have mentioned it! Thank you for the reminder about those!
Old 10-28-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fiona, great job on 28 days and making it through the Halloween party.

I'm trying to quit the drinks with artificial sweeteners too. I found the flavored carbonated water I drink has a ton of it added in. Got to find something else; I crave carbonation and sweets after quitting alcohol for some reason.

Keep going strong and great job again!
Old 10-28-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 28 days Fiona

D