SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I had about 25 days...key word is "had" (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/349058-i-had-about-25-days-key-word-had.html)

Charlie117926 10-28-2014 05:53 AM

I had about 25 days...key word is "had"

Hello SR family:

Just wanted to come clean and say that I had about 25 days. I had a slip up over the last weekend. Nothing major but any is too much for me. I have not drank since.

In the past, I would write and wallow in self pity, but through this process and bouts with sobriety the way my mind works has changed. I have a humble confidence that I am going to beat this.

I have had to make some major adjustments. Some life long friends are out of the picture. I wont lie, I miss them. No more wing nights. Guys at work wonder why I don't go out anymore. My garage fridge is filled with water and diet dew and is void of brew.

The flip side you ask? No more lying about missing money. No more trivial fights with my wife. Actually following through with commitments with my children. Mornings are righteous!! No more bloat. Did I mention the sleep...ahhh...the sleep.

Thanks for listening SR and most importantly thanks for having my back through this journey.

Lusher 10-28-2014 06:13 AM

Hey Charlie117926,

You had a strong run, and there's no doubt you can better it this next time. We all have our moments with this battle. Perhaps something from THIS article might help.

I have a humble confidence that I am going to beat this.
You absolutely can! (You need to remember this always)

Ellay 10-28-2014 06:13 AM

Way to dust yourself off and hop back on!

Soberwolf 10-28-2014 06:21 AM

Well done Charlie

least 10-28-2014 06:23 AM

Forgive yourself, learn from it, and move forward again. :)

SoberLeigh 10-28-2014 06:27 AM

Glad you got right back on the horse, Charlie. Despite your slip, your post is full of positivity; it is obvious you recognize and have your eye on the prize.

Is there something you can take away from your slip to help you the next time you feel fragile?

Charlie117926 10-28-2014 06:30 AM

Soberleigh, I can take something away from my slip. Simply that I had a choice and I chose to do what I knew not to do. pretty simple, but it's the simple truth.

Soberwolf 10-28-2014 06:35 AM

Thats it Charlie dont beat yourself up tho and exellent on taking something away from the experience

SoberLeigh 10-28-2014 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie117926 (Post 4980702)
Soberleigh, I can take something away from my slip. Simply that I had a choice and I chose to do what I knew not to do. pretty simple, but it's the simple truth.

I think that is great, Charlie; the knowledge that "you have a choice" combined with all that positivity!!!! Sounds like a Power Duo.

And, btw, you worked hard for those 25 days; they are yours to keep and they still count.

mirage 10-28-2014 07:08 AM

Good for you, Charlie..you sound like you have a great outlook on it. We've all relapsed, but keep trying, you'll get it. It takes time to form new habits, to rewire those neurological pathways, to change your lifestyle. I'm thankful every day that I've been able to stay sober for 3 years. It's SO much better than drinking and feeling like crap and hoping my kids don't notice. It's freeing, it's wonderful, I wish it for every drinker. You can SO do this!!

biminiblue 10-28-2014 07:25 AM

The key word(s) in that title to me are "25 Days."

You were very close to that magical one month when things really start to look good.

I know you can do this. It is worth it!

ccam1973 10-28-2014 08:30 AM

Great job on 25 days Charlie. Good for you on realizing you had a decision and made the wrong one. I've made that decision several times as well. Next time your AV comes calling, keep your guard up and remember it is your choice.

Use the strength of your 25 days sober to move forward. You know you can do it and what it will take to hit 26, 27, 28... Stay focused on all of the benefits sober life brings.

We are here for each other!

Altoids 10-28-2014 08:36 AM

What an inspiring post. Thanks for sharing your experience. You can do this and it sounds like you are making the changes to make it happen.

PurpleKnight 10-28-2014 11:24 AM

You can do this Charlie!! :)

FreeOwl 10-28-2014 11:48 AM

I'm diggin' on the direction of your change of thinking.

I went through a similar process over time. Deciding to jump in to AA and get involved with a program and a community of sober people near me was also an action that helped reinforce my changes in thinking.

It's an ongoing process and not always easy, but definitely rewarding.

HeartsAfire 10-28-2014 04:07 PM

Gotta be honest & tell you my first reaction when I read the title of this post was, "Dammit, Charlie!" After reading though I'm more convinced than ever that you're gonna beat this. Take pride in those 25 days - don't let one slip take them away.

You got this, Charlie. Here when/if you need me cheering you on.

Hugs!

Dee74 10-28-2014 04:28 PM

Welcome back Charlie :)

D