Notices

New, hello

Old 10-28-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile New, hello

Morning all, I'm new.

Long term drinker, I've never really seen it as a problem despite thinking a few times it's been a bit heavy, however 25 days ago I had a bad day and it became apparent I do indeed have a problem.

I'm resolved to address it and deal with it, put it to bed finally. 25 days dry so far, I've not drank since the bad day, I have an away trip with work tomorrow that is on my mind as it's a sort of perfect storm of circumstances for me to have a drink, so that will be a test of my mettle I suspect.

I feel a bit like I don't really have any coping strategies other than simply "not drinking" which I'm wary of, as I don't really understand how I've let myself get into the position I have, which makes me cautious of trusting myself too much if that makes sense.

Since the bad day I've made a GP appointment, and as a result of that I've been for blood tests for liver function, and referred to the local addiction recovery service, my first meeting is this afternoon. Blood tests came back as normal which I'm thankful for.

Anyway, howdy.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome MrDrinksALot

The good news is we're here 24/7...log in whenever you need support on your trip...and after

D
Old 10-28-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. Congrats on 25 days and like Dee said, we are here 24/7. Check in whevever you need to.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
Good for you for realizing you may have a problem and taking action on it. That's great. Your post actually lifted my spirits because there are so many of us in denial.
It took me a long time to make that realization, and I was an every day falling down drunk.
So I'm glad for you. You've got temptation coming up. Just remember you never have to drink again one day at a time. Sounds simple, and I know how cliché it sounds, but it's been working for me for quite awhile now.
If I don't take that first drink, no drunk no hangover.

You'll find lots of support here and best to you.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi ,Mr, welcome . Well done on 25 days sober. I'm new too, 17 days sober now.

There's lots of resources here and support.

Yes, I think just not drinking leaves a gap in your life, and everyone here has said that changing your routines and doing something different is a good way to go.

You have to find what works for you.

With your work trip ,it would be good to put a plan in place before you go to cope with the inevitable offer of a drink.

Glad you found us.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.Congratulations on 25days sober.

The only drink you have to stay away from is the first one,made it easier for me in the early days to remember that.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR drinksalot youl find a ton of support advice and guidance here
Old 10-28-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thankyou, appreciate all your replies
Old 10-28-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Congrats on 25 days sober!
Old 10-28-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, MrDrinksALot, to SR.

Stick with us during your business trip; as others have said, SR is 24/7, 365; there is always someone here who cares and wants to see you succeed.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Great to have you aboard - Welcome!!
Just starting out, as I was not all to long ago - Not drinking today is first and foremost. From there, we build a foundation and gain coping skills.

There are many different tools you may acquire - it's YOUR recovery, no one else's. Great ideas posted here - Check them out.

One day at a time really works! Regardless of length of sobriety, this is what we all do....I won't drink just for today! As time passes we gain strength and knowledge then put those into Action

fly
Old 10-28-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum MrDrinksALot!!
Old 10-29-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Evening all

Just thought I'd check in and update.

Away with work this evening, long pretty intense day, and went out for the social / meal this evening, in of all places, a pub.

2 lime and lemonades and a diet coke, and I'm back in my hotel room. I'm suprised at how pleased I am with myself, I thought I'd be indifferent but I'm pretty chuffed.

26 days today, and the first proper test of myself. Off for a nice bath and an early night for tomorrow now

Thanks for your replies.