Notices

Children of alcoholics, am an alcoholic, sibs are alcoholics

Old 10-27-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

Cool Children of alcoholics, am an alcoholic, sibs are alcoholics

Who do you go for family support when you're a child of alcoholics and all your sibs are alcoholics???
Old 10-27-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My husband. All of my siblings have substance abuse problems as well. Even the ones that aren't acttively using right now have mental health issue and have never been a help to me. It's a shame. That is why a place like this is so wonderful. We don't need to be related to be family!
Old 10-27-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

My husband is my biggest supporter that's for sure but I'm just sad that my family isn't there.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Aside from my husband, I go to other ACoA's right here on SR. They are the only ones who really understand. My siblings arent alcoholics but do have their fair share of dysfunctions. I dont want to dump on them so I get support and understanding here
Old 10-27-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Know the feeling
Old 10-27-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Me too Fishcakes. One of the biggest things I have had to face is that I cannot change them. I have 6 siblings and I think of all the get togethers we could have etc....it's just not possible.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

I definitely don't wanna go to my brother, he's almost 90 days right now and was in Hazelden so he's got enough of his own s**T going on right now. but I can't even talk to my parents because they are in complete denial.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's nice to have family support, of course, but it's not necessary. There are a lot of us here who felt quite alone when we stopped drinking. SR is a great resource because we do understand and you can know that you are not alone.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

i am very grateful for all the support I've received here.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me...the greatest support is from those who understand my experience firsthand. I am blessed with a loving sober community here at SR as well as a few in my 3D world. Family is family....BUT love is everywhere really. And there's a ton of it here on these Boards.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My mostly alcoholic extended family is not supportive. If anything, they look at my sobriety as an affront. My alcoholic mother told me that people are going to think I have a problem since I don't drink. LOL. My husband is extremely supportive but he is not an alcoholic.

The only people in my life who really "get it" are here at SR. And luckily, for me, that has been enough. Of course, I pray and meditate an awful lot, too.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I just come here. Most of the people in my life don't have a chemical dependency issue. Of those that do they are still drinking with no plans to stop.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fishcakes, are we related? My entire extended family lives in Minnesota and there is a LOT of drinkin' going on. I have an alcoholic brother, a brother who doesn't drink but is addicted to religion and my late sister had drug problems. So, I get where you are coming from. I surround myself with supportive friends (who I am just now figuring out in my sobriety) and of course come on SR for great support!
Old 10-27-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Fishcakes, are we related? My entire extended family lives in Minnesota and there is a LOT of drinkin' going on. I have an alcoholic brother, a brother who doesn't drink but is addicted to religion and my late sister had drug problems. So, I get where you are coming from. I surround myself with supportive friends (who I am just now figuring out in my sobriety) and of course come on SR for great support!
LOl always have said there are only 3 things to do this far north, especially in winter, procreate, play hockey and drink. I already am done doing the first, I still do the second and the third no longer lol
Old 10-27-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My mom said the same thing (except for the hockey part)! She is from Fergus Falls if you know where that is.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
My mom said the same thing (except for the hockey part)! She is from Fergus Falls if you know where that is.
LOL yep, I'm in Duluth and my kids play hockey so we travel all over the state.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fishcakes4 View Post

LOl always have said there are only 3 things to do this far north, especially in winter, procreate, play hockey and drink. I already am done doing the first, I still do the second and the third no longer lol
And SURF!!!

Old 10-27-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Don't forget about ice fishing Fishcakes. Oh yeah, I forgot, that's just an excuse to go get drunk on the ice.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I get most of my support right here. But I also see a counselor. Just once a month now, used to be weekly but since I got sober and some other problems ironed themselves out, I'm down to once a month. She's a treasure.