Notices

Preparing to quit smoking

Old 10-27-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Preparing to quit smoking

So I've tried to quit smoking a bunch of times, but it has never stuck.

In truth I pretty much gave myself a free pass because quitting smoking and drinking at the same time was too hard so I decided to prioritise.

But I'm feeling stronger these days, I've been cutting down, just a couple a day now.

I've learned from quitting drinking that willpower isn't enough, you need a system and a plan for it to work. I've never tried patches or any of that stuff, anyone had any experience with quitting/advice to help me out?

No Relapse, No Surrender

Tom
Old 10-27-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Me and my gf are trying to stop but we havnt yet Admittedly
Old 10-27-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can personally vouch for electronic cigarettes. Just make sure you buy North American or Western European-made products. Stay away from anything from Asia - you don't know what you are getting and the quality is much much lower. Electronic cigarettes are not an end-all, however they are the lesser of two evils and if you stick with it, you can quit smoking real cigarettes. PS - make sure you get nicotine in the juice or it might not work! Just my 2 cents anyways.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I did the patch routine. I just put on the last one this morning. Next few days should be interesting. Hopefully significantly reducing my nicotine in take will make the cold turkey a little easier
Old 10-27-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

I have quit cold turkey for 2-3 years at a time before, I quit this time when I quit drinking but because I was a much heavier smoker now I'm doing the patch. My cd and therapist both think I'm nuts to quit drinking and smoking at the same time, but I'm doing it. I actually crave smoking 100 times more than drinking.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

I found the physical addiction to smoking much stronger and cravings were strong for a few weeks. I stopped cold on a camping trip where cigarettes weren't available - so 5 days cold. Apparently I was grumpy. :-)
Then I simply never bought any or had any available as when the craving hit, it would have been too easy. Like alcohol, I made it very inconvenient to smoke by stopping any access. Strangely, alcohol is tough to avoid now as its always pushed whenever I go to a restaurant, the game, etc. In Ontario, you really can't smoke anywhere publicly anymore except on the street or the odd patio in summer. It has become far more socially unacceptable in the past 15 years.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thomas, you might give Alan Carr's book, "The easy way to quit smoking" a look. There's no easy way to quit, I've been quit for four years now! I did the chantix. It's very harsh. Wild side effects.

Anyway, the Alan Carr book is mostly affirmations and some AVRT thrown in. worth reading.

good luck! The Best way to quit smoking is to not smoke! LOL

Love from Lenina
Old 10-27-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ok so this time I quit about nine weeks ago. Let me say this at the outset - if you get out of the habit you will feel the benefit straight away. After a month you will wonder why you ever did it.

First task is this. Look at smokers outside buildings. Really look at them. They look cold, miserable, unhappy and uncool. People without energy and without a proper commitment to what they should be doing inside the building!

I bought Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking. I'd had it before but this time I really properly read it. And by that I mean taking a chapter each day, making notes about it, seeing how it applied to my life and then discussing it with a non-smoker. Don't talk about it with smokers - that's a waste of time.

Secondly, I made an appointment with a nurse who gives me regular breath tests. It's extremely motivating when you see the pollution in your lungs going down.

I am also on patches and that makes a significant physical and I assume psychological difference.

Finally I post on my progress regularly in the smoking area of the SR Forum. So I get some accountability.

If I had to choose the most important things I would say be completely open with a non smoking friend and get them to support you. After that, the other stuff falls into place.

I am now feeling a whole lot more energy and self-confidence. It's helped me to stop drinking and I honestly don't want to go back to it.

You can definitely do this and if you want to PM for more support, please do so.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Cold turkey! After the first 72 hours all (100%) of the nicotine is out of your system. After that it's all mental/psychological. At least that's my experience & what the experts say. Good luck!!! Rooting for you!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 10-27-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My first day with no smokes. I usually go about 4 days and end up smokin now that I'm also quitting drinking I have a much better chance since the craving usually hit when I'm drinking.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm on day 19 of not smoking. I am using the patch, although I was also a lighter smoker (about 7 cigs a day), so started on Level 2.

My plan is to do the Level 2 for one month, the Level 3 for one month, then just me...

Being in early sobriety is actually helping me; for me it is an excellent time to quit.

I have "quit" many times before in the last ten years, but always pick up again while drinking. I'm that girl across the bar, drawn to you by the distant gleam of yellow as you get out your pack of American Spirits. I always convinced myself that I'd smoke for one night only, and, well, we all know how that works.

So, with alcohol out of the picture, I am optimistic. These early months of sobriety are "all about me" anyway, with giving myself permission not to be "extraordinary" but seeking my comfortable space. I watch a lot of movies, go to a lot of meetings, etc. No giant challenges.

I haven't taken a single puff from someone else's cigarette. It is particularly difficult after AA meetings, when everyone rushes outside to smoke and interact. I stay in the room, and engage in conversation with the (few) other non-smokers, then pass through the cloud of smoke and leave immediately. Just too tempting, because I'm always wound up immediately after a meeting. Interestingly, this is changing who my social group is in AA. I'm getting to know more of the old-timers, less of the newcomers.

I bought one electronic cig, and keep it in my house for "late night emergencies." I've taken a puff off it here and there, but it is absolutely not satisfying, I might as well puff on a carrot or a pencil. You can't FEEL the smoke going in, and that's the whole point for me. So, it is sort of abandoned and dusty on a shelf. But I actually was glad I had it, because it made me less nervous about the whole endeavor.

I quit weed when I quit booze, so mentally, I'm structuring this whole thing about "healing my organs," in this case my lungs, although I believe that smoking is damaging to the liver as well (my poor liver). Processing toxins. I'm sure the nicotine patch is also requiring labor on the part of the liver, but we're getting there.

In the first week, every time I wanted to smoke, I went for a run. Sounds all athletic and inspiring, but in truth I couldn't get a few blocks without searing fire lasering through my lungs. Run, walk, run, walk. I'm strong and fit in body, but those poor lungs! I'd run/walk for about half an hour, and - trust me - you don't want a cigarette after that!

Forbid myself sugar too, because one of my great fears was that if I quit smoking on top of quitting alcohol, I'd gain weight. So I eat alot, but it is all brown rice and veggies type food. I remember that you said you were in a phase of charmingly thick right now, but were feeling comfortable with your being. I'm there too. Going for fit, radiant hearted, and old-school voluptuous. Its funny, but a little lipstick, and I walk around feeling stunning, and getting lots of attentions. I believe that some of it actually has to do with having quit smoking. I don't feel like my clothes smell like cigs, have lost that secretive self-consciousness of being a smoker - the shame aura - and - frankly - most non-smokers have a powerful boundary of not being attracted to or dating smokers. I'm still focused on me and my recovery right now, but it doesn't hurt the self-esteem and positive energy to feel noticed...

That's all the helpful experience I've got. I did promise myself when I decided to quit that if it EVER came down to a smoke or a drink, I could smoke without any guilt. I think knowing that made it less scary. Good luck! It really does feel great!
Old 10-27-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad to see this thread. I am in the "need to quit but don't want to" camp. My husband wants to do it together. I think it will be far harder to quit the nicotine than the alcohol. My dad has major cardiac issues related to smoking. He's multiple times lucky he isn't dead. And here I am still smoking. Thanks everyone for the tips because I will really need them.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

I'm thinking about giving up too. Scares the hell out of me. Going to try e cigs for a while, as I think I would be chewing on cardboard or my nails otherwise.

It's good to have this thread.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I quit cold turkey 8 years ago. I just QUIT. No more going to the store. No more smoking. Haven't picked up since then. It's expensive and disgusting

I have found it a million times harder to quite the bottle than the smokes.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomasthetank View Post
So I've tried to quit smoking a bunch of times, but it has never stuck.

In truth I pretty much gave myself a free pass because quitting smoking and drinking at the same time was too hard so I decided to prioritise.

But I'm feeling stronger these days, I've been cutting down, just a couple a day now.

I've learned from quitting drinking that willpower isn't enough, you need a system and a plan for it to work. I've never tried patches or any of that stuff, anyone had any experience with quitting/advice to help me out?

No Relapse, No Surrender

Tom
I tried multiple time. A good E cig was the only thing that worked. Haven't smoked since May. And it has been fantastic
Old 10-28-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

No nicotine day one and have not died yet
Old 10-28-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
No nicotine day one and have not died yet
Great job! Keep going!!! Once you make it 72 hours all the nicotine is out of your system. You can do it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 10-28-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Haven't died but I may eat myself to death. People are going to call me Jabba
Old 10-28-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best of luck guys

D
Old 10-29-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Still nicotine free. My wife bought me an industrial sized bag of dum dum suckers. Oh lord the pain I cause myself