Notices

Facing your demons

Old 10-27-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

For me, a lot of my demons come from the past - things I've been through, things I've done, things that have impacted me, sometimes deeply. I think they become demons when we fail to address them or make sense of them. We internalize them and those experiences become a part of who we are.

It also may be a part of ourselves we find fault with, or know is wrong. I've caught myself thinking something or mumbling something to myself that upon reflection I know is wrong. It's a reflexive knee-jerk reaction to something and I have to step back and think, Why did I just do that, where does that come from. A lot of our ideas and beliefs come from where and how we were raised. Sometimes we have to challenge those ideas and ask ourselves what we choose to believe. Some people don't do this, and walk blissfully through life knowing they are correct. I, tend to question everything. And as tormented as that sounds, it's the path that works for me and I tend to like others who do the same. I think it's good to confront your demons, it probably makes you a better person.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had various underlying issues that started me drinking.
If I want to stay sober I need to deal with those issues too as well as not drink.

that pretty much encapsulates my 'demons'

D
Old 10-27-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

For me confronting my demons, meant finally coming terms with some childhood issues I had never dealt with, pretending they didn't exist. Specifically, my alcoholic father leaving the family when I was 2 and never seeing him again, and as a result being separated from my mother for long periods as she worked so much to support me and my sibling.

I say in complete jest, but this reminds me of The Rock from the movie Pain and Gain, where he plays a recovering addict. In one scene near the end of the movie (things aren't going well for him or his recovery) he says "In AA they teach you to sit with your feelings, look under the bed and see that there's no monster there. But the problem is, sometimes the monster is there, and sometimes.....you just gotta runaway as fast as you f****** can!"