Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

My dog is dying. Doubt I'll make through the night and up coming days.....

Notices

My dog is dying. Doubt I'll make through the night and up coming days.....

Old 10-26-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry about your beloved dog, Eric. I had a cat that wasn't doing well, at night, couldn't afford to take her to emergency vet, so just laid with her and snuggled until I could get to the vet in the morning.

It's very, very hard to lose a furbaby, but drinking will not help it. Not only will you have to eventually deal with her loss, you will also have to do it while beating yourself up by drinking. Been there, done that, it's not worth it.

There are a lot of animal lovers on SR, and most of us have gone through this at least once. Please lean on us to help you through this.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-26-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Eric, I lost my avatar, Charlee, just a month ago to cancer at age 6. He meant everything to me. I had just 5 months sober when he died and the six weeks before that were a roller coaster of emotion as I had hoped he would recover. It was not meant to be. I have cried more over losing him than any person. It still hurts a lot. But, to him, I was his entire life. And all he knew was that I loved him and I took care of him until the very end. If I had advice, I agree that you should just feel the pain and cry as much as you need to cry. Be there for the dog tonight and stay strong. Know that your dog feels your strength and love.

I'm so very sorry that you are going through this. I really understand how you feel.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The rescue found my beloved Woody on the side of the road with a broke leg. I adopted him from them and he had a good life except for my drunkeness. Last August I held him in my arms while he took the injection. It hurt bad and I got drunk that night. It didn't bring him back though. I regret I was a sot while I had him. Ask yourself if she would want you to drink. I think you know the answer to that.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It's hard, I know. I lost my best friend to cancer last year. I was OK until I went to pick up her ashes. I drove straight to the liquor store and went on a bender. It didn't help. Looking back I wish I would have been the person she always thought I was.

Put her head in your lap one more time. You won't regret it.

Jessie:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jesse.jpg (44.3 KB, 123 views)
Old 10-26-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Please do not dishonour love by drinking. I am fresh off (well still in really) the emotional roller coaster of loss. It hasn't been easy but I stayed in the eye of the emotional storm. I posted here often and felt pathetic and like some sort of whiny, self pitying taker...but

the LOVE of SR was here to help me through. Lean in here my friend. Feel the feelings you need to feel. I think it vital to your sobriety growth...

Although the loss of your heart's companion is brutally painful...feelings are MEANT to be felt and moved through. E-motions are energy in motion. Let them wash over and pass through.

Post here often...let the love of SR help you through. You will learn so much about love if you do...it is everywhere..and we are supported in this life when we lean into it rather than run away.

Feel your feelings my friend...please honour the normal passing away of things we love in life. Be here with us..stay present...face it all..and grow stronger.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I have made a choice to not get anymore dogs or cats. The pain almost cased a relapse for me. You helped me remind me what a smart choice that is for my sobriety. Sorry to hear about your dog. You sound like a great owner. I pray and you find peace and beauty at all stages of life. Life wouldn't be special if we lived for ever. Really sit down and think about the great times with your dog and reflect on the brightness of the dogs life.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I understand how hard losing a loved one is. Trust me I know what watching suffering is like. The problem is drinking doesn't fix anything. OK you drink and then you sober up. Has anything changed other than you feel like crap and are at day one again?

If I thought drinking was a fix over the last 10 months of my life I would have been there in a heart beat but I know this is nothing but a lie alcohol tells us
Old 10-26-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Oh my........, I'm so sorry Eric!

I can't imagine your emotional agony, I relapsed last year after 2 months sobriety after my dog had a health scare...please stay strong...your in my thoughts.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

So sorry xxxxx
Old 10-26-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I am so sorry Eric
Old 10-26-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Eric - it's all been said - I'll just add my my sympathy for what you're going through. I agree that drinking will make things so much worse. I lost my Mastiff last year & I tried to think of how disappointed she'd be to see me hurt myself by drinking. I'm glad you posted - please be kind to yourself and don't pick up.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Have you gone to AA meetings since you've
gotten sober? If so, did folks give you a meeting
book with numbers on it?
Old 10-26-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

After all this is done and you've had some time to grieve remember there are lots of dogs out there that need homes. I adopted a female Rottweiler after I lost Woody. Her and my lab Jessie are my best friends in the world.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm so so sorry. Losing a pet has to be one of the absolutely worst things in this world. Sending you and your dog thoughts of comfort.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I haven't read all the responses, but just wanted to say I'm sorry and I understand. Putting my dog of 14 years down was absolutely one of the worst days of my life, it's up there with my divorce, passing of loved ones, losing my house, etc.

But what does this pain have to do with drinking? Drinking does not end pain, it exacerbates it. Always. Make no mistake about that.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

There should be an addiction hotline listed
in the phone book or you can google the
information which would be a useful suggestion
to call and letting them know your situation
and that you don't want to be alone right
now and if they can give you a number to
have someone that is on phone duty for AA
to call you back emmediately.

There's always a member handling the
phones all the time for emergencies
and they can stay on the phone with you
to keep you from slipping/drinking.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Eric,

Remain faithful to your dear heart of a pup. She needs ALL of you right now. Hold her and let her know she'll be alright with you. She only knows true love. Dogs are so true.

You, stay true to yourself as well. No drinking will make any of this any better.

A Big Ole Bear Hug for you fella.

Miss my pup but was glad to be with him through it all. They're worth it.

And so are YOU.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm so very sorry. Sending peaceful thoughts and hugs your way.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I've read all the replies over multiple time now. I know I shouldn't drink or get high but man thats all I want to do. I dont think I will today and one day at a time is all I can do.

Heres a pacture of CoCo.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay strong Eric.

Since I got sober I've had to confront the death of friends and loved ones many times.

The fear of the pain is greater than the pain itself.
You'll be sad, you'll grieve but you'll be ok - please believe me

Stay sober
D