SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   AV wants white wine (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/348861-av-wants-white-wine.html)

goose333 10-26-2014 03:55 AM

AV wants white wine

I never drank much white wine. Liked it, but when I did drink wine, it was usually red. Hard liquor was my poison of choice.
Now, whenever I see someone having a white wine, I want one. Really really want one.
I went' to pick up some Chinese food yesterday and while leaving the restaurant saw two people having a glass of white wine. My AV said 'I want that'. I thought about it and said to myself, how nice would that be to have some white wine with my chinese food. Then I thought, how can they sit there and slowly sip a single glass of white wine and be satisfied. What torture that would be. I would want a bottle. THAT, would be nice. Of course, that would have given me an nice START, but then I would really go off the deep end.
So although my AV is craving White Wine from time to time, I'm still telling it to get lost. For the life of me, I don't understand non-alcoholics. How on earth can they just have a little bit and be satisfied?

instant 10-26-2014 04:00 AM

My AV only spouts BS

Conquest 10-26-2014 04:01 AM

Way to play the scenario through! I don't get how others stop at one either. But YOU stopped at zero today. Woohoooo!

Fandy 10-26-2014 04:01 AM

i can't even count the times i want to sit down in my livng room and sip a nice red....but that is a farce...i would glug it and polish off 10 glasses before i come up for air.

Dee74 10-26-2014 04:05 AM

It's just lies Goose.

Remember the kind of drinking that bought you here.
Remember it all - and the process by which it pulled you in again....

Genteel sipping on one glass of white wine with a chinese meal is a fantasy for drinkers like you and me, goose.

It will never happen. Never.

If you have to grieve that realisation, then grieve - but don't give in.

D

dcrr 10-26-2014 04:08 AM

My AV is the same way....makes me think I could just have one or two when it knows it is just enough to start the downward spiral into a binge. Kudos on your resolve and determination by telling it to get lost.

Soberwolf 10-26-2014 04:09 AM

Dont give in & dont believe the lies

least 10-26-2014 04:10 AM

White wine was my drink of choice. :( But since I drank it by the bottle, not the glass, I know I can't have ANY. Stay strong and don't give in. In time, that voice will get fainter and fainter until you don't hear it at all. :)

IOAA2 10-26-2014 04:14 AM

Hi goose.
What you did successfully is called “thinking the drink through” and it usually works. Great example of what’s needed to be done when that obsession hits.

BE WELL

JanieJ 10-26-2014 07:42 AM

Well done for telling your AV where to go :c011:

PurpleKnight 10-26-2014 09:12 AM

1 glass or 1 beer, that type of drinking would be nice and other people can do it.

The problem is my drinking was 1 or more bottles, and therein lies the problem.

Don't listen to the fairytale or myth, the romanticised notion that is far from what the reality would be!!

Anna 10-26-2014 09:30 AM

Good for you for getting through that.