SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   23 days sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/348843-23-days-sober.html)

Shakenup 10-25-2014 09:35 PM

23 days sober

Hello Everyone,
Today I am 23 days sober and feeling great! I would most likely still be drinking if not for a car accident in which I was seriously injured. I am lucky to be alive. I don't remember anything about the accident or the events of that day. I woke up in the emergency room and didn't know why I was there. This has been a life changing experience and has helped me get my priorities in order. I want to live a healthy life and be a better mother and wife. I have not had a single drink since the accident and plan to continue being sober. I am entered in an outpatient substance abuse program and individual therapy. I feel like there is more I need to do, such as attending AA meetings, finding a sponsor, discovering new hobbies and making new friends.

In addition to staying sober, I am worried about possible criminal charges. I have not been contacted by the police since the accident, I don't know what to expect. I need to request a copy of the incident report and find out what happened. I'm scared... very very scared. I have never been in this type of situation before and I don't know anyone else who has either.

I hope more good than bad comes from this situation, but I'm afraid the worst is still yet to come. All I do know for sure is that I need to stay sober.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thank you,

Shakenup:a108:

MyTime86 10-25-2014 11:16 PM

Hi and welcome, I've gotten a DUI and was in a hit and run incident while drunk. My punishment was a big fine, had to take some alcohol classes and community service. It wasn't fun but I got through it. I think your making the right choice to give up the booze. Whatever happens don't work your self up you will get through this. But its probably a good choice to change your way of living it's what I had to do to remain a free man

Soberwolf 10-25-2014 11:22 PM

23 days is awesome

Shakenup 10-25-2014 11:47 PM

Thank you for your response MyTime86. Your advise is solid, I know I shouldn't get worked up over what might happen if I am brought up on charges. The punishments you mentioned are typical, it's not like I will be facing a firing squad. I'm just dreading the aftermath' Arizona has extremely strict laws. I could be facing jail time, suspended license in addition to fines, substance abuse classes, community service ect... A DUI will close many doors in my career not to mention a suspended license prevents me from driving to work and taking my kids to school and so on.

I hope that by taking the necessary steps to get help and stop drinking now, before being told to by a judge will help my case. I don't even know if there is a case - I have not heard from the police once since the accident. I will spend my time educating myself on the laws in Arizona. I plan to stay sober regardless of the outcome of this situation.

Thanks again,
Shakenup

Shakenup 10-26-2014 02:09 AM

Thank you soberwolf. I dig your signature - so fitting and so true.

Blessed be.

Shakenup

hayley86 10-26-2014 02:51 AM

Welcome, congrats on 23 days! I don't have any advice but i'm glad that you're ok. You'll find lots of support and understanding here. Best wishes!

least 10-26-2014 02:59 AM

Welcome to the family. :hug: I'm glad you joined us. Congrats on 23 days sober. :)

bookmaven 10-26-2014 03:11 AM

Hi -welcome.

I am not a lawyer, so what I have to say is based only on my own experiences, and I'm also in a different state.

If I were in your situation I would continue with treatment and therapy. I would start attending AA meetings and find a sponsor, even a temporary one, as soon as possible. You may need someone to write a letter on your behalf stating how you've been working on your sobriety.

Personally I would not be able to take a wait and see approach to finding out if I was facing criminal charges - but that's just me - the sooner you find out, the sooner you can hire an experienced attorney if necessary.

Keep up the good work!

JanieJ 10-26-2014 03:13 AM

Welcome, Shakenup ! Congratulations on making the decision to be sober, 23 days is good going. Sometimes it takes a shake up to come to our senses, it did for me too.

This is a wonderful family who will support you, they are fantastic.

Mags1 10-26-2014 03:28 AM

Hi Shakenup, welcome to SR, congratulations on 23 days sober.
I haven't any advice , sorry, hope it all gets sorted out soon.

Dee74 10-26-2014 04:02 AM

I'm glad you're ok shakenup and I'm glad you've joined us :)

D

dcrr 10-26-2014 05:00 AM

All I know is that 23 days is an amazing feat. Keep up the good work, you are doing a great job!

PurpleKnight 10-26-2014 08:51 AM

Welcome to the Forum Shakenup!! Great job on 23 Days!! :wave:

VikingGF 10-26-2014 08:55 AM

Welcome Shakenup!

I'm glad you are getting better and that you found us.

This site will be a great source of support for you. Good for you on your 23 days!

Lusher 10-26-2014 09:20 AM

Hey ShakenUp- Congrats on the 23 days !!!

In addition to staying sober, I am worried about possible criminal charges.
Just so you know, I sent you a PM in reference to the above quote.