Notices

Day 3 issues

Old 10-25-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 issues

I have made it to day 3 without a drop of alcohol and want to make it to day four, and so on, but the AV is getting louder.

I was supposed to go out with people tonight from some drinking and poker for a friends birthday. I told him I will be passing on tonight because I am making a serious attempt to stop drinking. He said okay, and understands. He just told me not to totally disappear and let him know how I am doing from time to time until I feel I can have a social life without temptation.

Anyways, it is calling me. Trying to use the fact that I will be going on vacation next week as an excuse to put it off and just drink until after I get back. I know it will be hard, but we will be visiting my wifes family, and they will help me avoid it even though they are drinkers. I have already made other plans with my wife to avoid a halloween party while there.

I am just afraid the voice will get even louder. 3 days is the longest I have gone without getting drunk in long time.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

3 days is awesome and yes i understand but i hung on i didnt drink

if u give up now youl only have to through what your already going through bare with it

as the voice gets louder hang on and eventually the storm will pass

you can do this i respect its been a long time

but its been a long time coming and the time for you to be sober is now

were all with you 3 days is so so awesome

well done sober beast
Old 10-25-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The voice may be getting louder but it's the actions that count, thoughts are thoughts, they don't mean much unless we act on them, so great job on not acting on them, but instead putting off that poker night, that took real courage and resolve to stand strong!!

Again taking the steps to not put yourself in a situation over Halloween, having the support of your wife and her family, it all sounds very positive!!

The cravings and thoughts will fade over time, the more we build new routines, cement a lifestyle, which is one of a "non drinker", gradually alcohol will be pushed to the side lines and new habits will be formed and entrenched!!

Keep pushing through!! Day 3 is fantastic!!
Old 10-25-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The voice will get louder because it knows it's losing. It knows you are gaining power and it's fighting back. That happened to me, too. Stick with it and it will get easier. If you give in now, you will have to go through this again. It sounds like you're making good choices about your party and vacation. Good work on Day 3!
Old 10-25-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sexy beast

Originally Posted by SoberBeast View Post
I have made it to day 3 without a drop of alcohol and want to make it to day four, and so on, but the AV is getting louder.

I was supposed to go out with people tonight from some drinking and poker for a friends birthday. I told him I will be passing on tonight because I am making a serious attempt to stop drinking. He said okay, and understands. He just told me not to totally disappear and let him know how I am doing from time to time until I feel I can have a social life without temptation.

Anyways, it is calling me. Trying to use the fact that I will be going on vacation next week as an excuse to put it off and just drink until after I get back. I know it will be hard, but we will be visiting my wifes family, and they will help me avoid it even though they are drinkers. I have already made other plans with my wife to avoid a halloween party while there.

I am just afraid the voice will get even louder. 3 days is the longest I have gone without getting drunk in long time.
Hey soberbeast, you are very lucky to have an understanding friend like that. He sounds like a cool guy. I would keep him in the inner circle.

I faced that holiday dilema many times. Cuba early this year been one. Shall I drink or shall I do it sober. I drank. Regretted it. One of the worst trips of my life. One of them.

Imagine two scenarios and how you'd feel at the end of the trip if
1. You drank
2. You remained sober

Odds are one of those scenarios will be full of regret and the other won't.

All the best to you.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Beast. I truly understand where you're coming from. I just made it to my 11th day, and the voice, as we call it, has practically never stopped being the loudest noise in my life each day. It is indescribable how powerful of a hold it has over my emotions.

The voice has never softened for me, but I have grown more familiar with dealing with it.

I know you'll make it through, my friend.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses everyone! Your words have helped give me some extra strength to avoid listening to it. I am so grateful for all of you.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can do it. I'm on day two - I am experiencing the same thing. Make this a sober night and celebrate tomorrow morning without a hangover!
Old 10-25-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job, all of you! Just think, day 3 is the last time you will have to count that
Old 10-25-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stay with it. I'm day 4, it's been a good day, no cravings. But damn yesterday was different. Get through it. You will feel great about it tomorrow!! You got this!!
Old 10-26-2014, 02:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey,

You know as well as I do that hangovers ruin a vacation. There might be a few tense moments but you will feel a bazillion times better sober. Congratulations on three days! Those were by far the hardest.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hey Sober, you're doing it

I'm on day 15. Made it through, and so can you. First time I've been sober for around 40 years. You can do this, post if you feel tempted, we' ll talk you through it.

I was just saying "no, no, no" to my voice, do whatever works.

It's not so strong now.

I've been taking multi -vitamins, drinking a lot of water, and I mean a lot, and eating well as alcohol depletes a lot of stuff in your body over time.

Come on, let's do this. Let's be sober and start to live this wonderful life.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just remember that you are in control, not your AV

How will you feel tomorrow if you drink today? Pretty p***ed off I bet. I've broken a few times since I joined SR but now I finally realise that I can live without alcohol! And be happy! You will get there - keep posting though, I only drank when I didn't post......
So when the urge gets strong, talk to us and get the support to get through it!

You're doing great!!!!
Old 10-26-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Beast,
I started 4 days before going on a 10 day vacation. I was worried about all the opportunities I would have to drink heavily while on vacation. I told myself that I would not give in. It was difficult at times, but I did it. It was actually the best vacation ever as my wife was so grateful for a stress free vacation. We had a great time. Alcohol can't even come close to that.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

You hold the power

Your AV has no arms or legs, no mouth, no brain.

It absolutely needs you to get what it wants.

Refuse it

D