Notices

Help - I Don't Want To Forget

Old 10-25-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help - I Don't Want To Forget

This past week I ended up I'm the hospital from drinking too much. I made my family worry sick about me including my 9 month pregnant wife and my 4yr old. Been sober since then and have been feeling like a monster. Feel less like one today than yesterday and probably will feel less like one tomorrow until I don't feel like one at all. And that scares me because that's when I will think drinking a little isn't so bad. But there is no " drinking little" for me else I wouldn't have ended up in hospital.

Help me please - how do I make sure I never forget all the damage I did this week and for the past several years. I never want to repeat it again. What do you do to remind yourself? Not remind yourself that you're a terrible person but that drinking hurts everyone not just you.

Thanks my S/R family. I know I can always count on you for support.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Write down a list of exactly why your sober why your not going to drink again
Old 10-25-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I had a similar experience as you. Ended up in the ICU in a coma on life support because of my drinking. In early recovery, fear of ending up like that again kept me sober. But the memories do fade a bit. I go to AA meetings to remind me. In AA, I realized that my situation was not unique; that a lot of people hit bottom the way I did. It's hard to forget when I'm around people who have shared the same experiences of alcoholism as I have.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AA is a good way to not forget, and you get to help others. Win/win.

I also wrote down my drinking history, in chronological order - and I add to it when I remember more. Reading that is a sobering thing.

Lots of people start feeling better and drink again. That is the slippery slope and it will lead back to the same place. Please get some support. I hope you do go to AA - before next week!

Here is the 12 Step Forum (AA) here on this site. Take a look.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-step-support/
Old 10-25-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Hello MightyFlea21. I blog on this site. I journal my recovery and weave in references to my drinking. It's not for anyone, but me. I find it helps.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by MightyFlea21 View Post
This past week I ended up I'm the hospital from drinking too much. I made my family worry sick about me including my 9 month pregnant wife and my 4yr old. Been sober since then and have been feeling like a monster. Feel less like one today than yesterday and probably will feel less like one tomorrow until I don't feel like one at all. And that scares me because that's when I will think drinking a little isn't so bad. But there is no " drinking little" for me else I wouldn't have ended up in hospital.

Help me please - how do I make sure I never forget all the damage I did this week and for the past several years. I never want to repeat it again. What do you do to remind yourself? Not remind yourself that you're a terrible person but that drinking hurts everyone not just you.

Thanks my S/R family. I know I can always count on you for support.

Interesting.....
For me, it was how can I forget what I did and deal with the wreckage / wake of damage in my past....I found by committing to sobriety one day at a time I could start to make living amends to those who I loved. Slowly, the reflection of my despair in their eyes turns to hope. It was incredibly selfish of me to continue destroying both my life and theirs.

If this isn't your issue, then as SW suggested perhaps make a list of things you did.

At almost 5 months, I am starting to consider myself sober - In the beginning I considered myself simply undrunk. For me, there is a big difference.

I knew I could stop, the issue was how do I stay stopped?!> That is the issue for those that have the willingness and desire to quit.

The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker.

The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.
We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics

If you are ready, you never have to drink again - one day at a time!

Glad you're here!

Fly
Old 10-25-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like the idea of writing down all your reasons for quitting. I've done that and it helps.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Make it a part of each and every day to work on your sobriery. That might mean an AA meeting, reading, therapy, posting and reading here, or any combo of the above. Being around others that have the same problem helps you remember why you are doing this in the first place, and what you can do to stay sober.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can't tell you how not to remember, but I can tell you that I am going on 8 years clean. I vividly remember my last time using. I was almost suicidal. I remember what I did to my loved ones, the pain I put them through.

It is one of my tools in recovery. Whenever I think about getting numb, and yes, those times do come, I instantly go back to where I was when I finally quit. That, in itself, is enough reason for me to find something to distract me that is healthier than using, and it's worked for several years.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-25-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It will take time for your mind to heal, and think rational. Dr. Phil says a year. I don't know how long. Till then, stay around others that understand. If you feel like drinking come here. Someone is always around that will be in the chat room with you. Talk it through. Don't take the first drink, no matter what. I try to be at the two chat meeting on Tuesday and Friday every week. I read and post here, every day. I don't want to talk myself into thinking a drink is okay. I love being sober, and every time I think of a drink I try to remember that. I have never been embarrassed by being sober. Can't say that about drinking. You have a chance at a good life. We are all here for you. I know you can do this.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I found going back and reading my old threads on SR very helpful to never forget!!