Notices

A green light to drink again??

Old 10-24-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A green light to drink again??

Hi,

I have been a 'functioning' alcoholic for years, I had a seizure in 2011 though and it has only been working very long hours since then that removed my physical dependency (with the occasional spell of 1 or 2 days off). At 38 I've been plagued with health problems for years due to the amount I drank. All the associated problems were there too; divorce, bankruptcy, the loss of my business, drink driving bans, cocaine - the list is too long. The longest I had ever stopped drinking from my school days to 38 was 11 days.

Please stick with me through this brief health part - the end is important to me!

For the last 12 months I had been suffering problems with my stomach and after countless tests I gave in going for tests and suffered the problems for a while. I went back to the Dr in August as the problems had got very bad, and was told THEY had been trying to get in touch with ME about some earlier tests. Basically, my blood was so fatty with cholesterol, they couldn't complete the last set of tests I had gone for - also, my liver function test was abnormal again. So, I forgot about my stomach again and started with my cholesterol as a serious thing to sort out (and my liver).

So, a cholesterol test 2 months ago came in at a never before seen by my Dr, 10. This gave me the kick up the arse to stop drinking and I was prescribed statins. Fast forward 67 sober days and I got my blood test results back on Thursday and my cholesterol has HALVED to 5.1 and my liver is normal. Surprise surprise, my stomach is better too.

To be honest, it was the cholesterol that scared me half to death, I had put up with the stomach problems for ages and I had had many dodgy liver tests before and calmed it down until it got back to normal.

Free to drink again you might think? That's what a few other people have thought. Especially those who don't know about the liver bit (which is most).

The thing is, forget all the health stuff. I've been sober for 67 days and it's been incredible. My marriage has gone from being nearly over, to all but perfect. I have a new job that I love and am working for a very successful guy who has been in rehab himself and now not drank in years. I have bought a new car with the money I've saved (seriously). I am earning proper money again as I am 'switched on'. I feel fantastic. I look years younger. I don't want to drink, at all. I don't miss it, I resent it and the time I have wasted doing it. I feel more strongly than ever that I will not and should not, ever drink again. I'm not drinking this weekend, next weekend, if I go on holiday or at Christmas.

How incredibly strange that it's taken me being sober for 2 months to not want to drink ever again. My 'rock bottom' wasn't a blood test - that was years before when drinking had cost me everything.

I'm not stupid with regard to life and I know I'm going to have stresses and problems and things that might make me want to drink, some of them will be huge I'm sure. What I have found though, is that life is much easier to deal with when you're not drunk or on a comedown and as far as my sobriety is concerned - I wouldn't swap it for anything.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's what I like to hear!!! I feel the same way about my sobriety. There are good days and bad but overall it's so much better. I'm so happy for you and I hope that these positive feelings last forever for both of us!!! We can do this!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow you sound awesome. I value my sobriety very strongly too! Isn't life so much better when we are sober? Every aspect is sooooo much better.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This was great to read! I am happy that you are feeling so good, thanks for sharing that.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

God news Dmcheshire.

My cholesterol was sky high when I got sober.Mine was the highest my GP had seen in years!
Old 10-25-2014, 02:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice post 67 days is awesome
Old 10-25-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really hope you stick with it dmcheshire cos it really is awesome

D
Old 10-25-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Dm! I once thought that if I had Charlie Sheen's money I would never quit either--just buy a new liver. I too had many problems and concerns and like you was shocked I had not damaged myself more. I'm grateful that actually planning for a future is my biggest challenge cuz for many years I was sure I was gonna die soon. There was no enjoyment to drinking for me back in May and I'm sure there never will be. Congrats on 67 days and your new life.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your achievements to date, just thing if we don’t drink it can get better. One thing many of us had to realize is maintaining our sobriety over time by continuing to not drink for any reason because we have a tendency to forget what the pain was like drinking.

BE WELL
Old 10-25-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living Sober

I wouldn't swap it for anything.
Perfect ending to a fantastic story of a person who's gotten their life back! Your story is also very much of an eye opener to some of the many damages caused by excess consumption.

~NICE~

I feel more strongly than ever that I will not and should not, ever drink again
Old 10-25-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing so well.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, Dmcheshire And what a brilliant opening post! So glad you found us
Old 10-25-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Keep it up DM

Bunnez
Old 10-25-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

DM, what an inspiring story. So glad you had your tests before you did permanent damage. Don't ever touch a drink again because you could get sucked straight back in.

Have you had any cravings, or felt yourself tempted at all? Do you have a strategy for if that happens?
Old 10-25-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Dmcheshire, I can certainly relate to you. I am also 38, also bankrupted myself, lost my career, driving privileges, health, and the girl to the bottle. I am still picking up the pieces my life shattered into but I am sober and, for the first time in a long time, hopeful. Very encouraging for me to hear your story. Good work!
Old 10-25-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Very inspiring, thanks for sharing.... great news for you and yours too!!!
Old 10-25-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Fantastic post Dmcheshire!!
Old 10-25-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome DM, great post. It is fantastic to be sober. I'm newly sober myself but am enjoying it immensely.

Posts like yours are so inspiring, thank you.