Notices

here we go again

Old 10-24-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

here we go again

In the past I have tried to quit drinking many times, always went back to it. 100's of meetings, rehab, always ran back to the bar. So now I have HepC, early liver disease, I am also bipolar (this makes it more a struggle as we tend to self-medicate). Longest time sober ever just over three months, last attempt 37 days. I think I know why I failed, I always went at it alone, I think this time I need a sponsor. I have found a meeting I plan to attend Sunday morning and introduce myself. I am terrified trying program again, I am afraid of failure. I quit for a week, then picked up last evening- wow one week...it is so frustrating. Now I'm upset with myself.... you know how that goes. I am struggling big-time.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can find a good sponsor. Working the steps is said to give you a whole new outlook on life.

I hope that, with support, you can quit drinking for good.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things changed for me when I involved others in my recovery edeneen

sorry you're struggling but good to see you back

D
Old 10-24-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're back, edeneen. Why is it we feel we have to do it by ourselves? Good on you for changing up!
Old 10-24-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i wish i had a magic wand for you my friend but i dont what i can offer you is hope that there is a way out for you, its not always going to be as black as things are looking right now
aa can help you without doubt but you have to want it i still have that desire inside of me that wants to stay sober infact its stronger today than it was 10 years ago when i was stuck in that black hole your stuck in at the moment

get along to an aa meeting and hopefully with the right people around you it will be the start of an incredible journey
i know it all looks dark right now, and that you will feel nothing in the world can change how it is but try and just give it a chance. take the body and the mind will follow
good luck to you
Old 10-24-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Edeneen, I am sorry that you are struggling with this.

I think it's good that you have a plan and are continuing to work on recovery. You must not give up.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bipolar here, too. I drank for many years to self medicate. I also tried and tried to quit drinking. It was very difficult.
When I found AA, I found people with the same problem with drink as me. We were very different in our personal lives, but so much the same when it came to alcohol. You probably know all this since you've been to meetings.
It wasn't until I got help for my mental illness that I was able to quit. I was no longer triggered by depression or mania. I was mostly stable. I lost my reason to drink. Although I will say I had some slip ups along the way.

I do hope you go to meetings and get a sponsor. I also hope you get help for your mental issues.
We can, and do, recover and I wish that for you.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry your struggling
Old 10-25-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep trying. You are not alone in this and kudos for not giving up. Stay strong, you can do it!
Old 10-25-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!

Things never changed for me until I got support into the picture, doing it alone never worked, my addicted mind was too powerful for my willpower.

You can do this!!