Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

So, I'd love to join a band, worried about the drinking culture

Notices

So, I'd love to join a band, worried about the drinking culture

Old 10-25-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Sober musician here, and I can tell you lots of my musician friends are either sober , or at the very least, contemplating sobriety ....... Just saw my good friend from high school at a recent reunion . He's the former drummer for Robert Palmer, and happily Sober 2 years now .
Love this post
Old 10-25-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks a bunch guys, on your advice I found a coffee place that holds open jam sessions. So I'm gonna head down to that next week.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I actually did play with sober people playing coffee shops for a long time Thomas.
It was good fun.

I don't think there's any harm mentioning you're a non drinker and looking for other non drinkers.
like others have said there are many sober musicians and when you get to my age they're not that hard to find

The gig things is another hurdle...but I've been back in the thick of it lately and its been fine.

Mind you it took me years to go back to pubs and drink (and drugs) all around - but I'm just not that guy anymore.

I'm there for the music.

D
Yeah, it will definately take some time before I can be back in that environment. I was in a band when I was younger and drink wasn't actually the problem, it was weed. I smoked 20 pounds worth every day, pretty much. To the point where when I stopped I had very severe panic attacks for many months. So there's a bit of history there in regards to drug and alcohol abuse.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I too am a musician and play in several bands. It takes some getting used to, especially if your band mates were drinking buddies. But in my experience, the only people who think twice about drinking are alcoholics. Normal people don't care if you don't drink...if they even notice. Just don't make it a big deal. Alcoholics are stuck inside their own heads and usually neurotic. If someone judges you for not drinking, run away and don't look back.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
instant

as I got more solid in recovery being in bars and around alcohol is not really a bother. What matters is music and the people is the focus not the drinking. If people are wasted it is not a good scene and the music they make will reflect that-

I now play in a band and it's no big deal- I make my position clear- I don't drink, I am clean- the guys I am with don't promote a party culture in the band- it's about the music- if it's not move on-

Life's too short to get wasted- but you're never too old to rock
Old 10-25-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's definitely good to wait.

I played a gig yesterday where it was beers to the left of me and tokers to the right - I have nearly 8 years sober now...I wouldn't advise anyone to do that until they're really sure of their recovery.

Before I came to SR I tried the face the beast and spit in his eye/Chuck Norris approach and tried being obstinately sober many times...

it didn't work for me - I actually grew weaker rather than stronger.

I needed time away from that stuff to grow some 'sober muscles'.
When you're weight training, you lift easy weights first...and work up.

Jam night at a coffee place sounds good Tom

D
Old 10-25-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

RIP Jack Bruce

I've played Bass p/t for Decades, and took up Bass in part from hearing 'Cream' in HS.

I saw Jack in Ringo Starr's 'All Starrs' Lineup, and that was a peak Evening outside for me. They started to adjust the Drum Kit, and I knew what was next. Before he was Deported on an old Drugs Charge, Ginger Baker was raising Polo Ponies and living the Good Life in the Foothills West of Denver. Ringo announced that the next few Songs would be '2/3rds light Cream'.

Fellow Scotsman Jack was on his 2nd Liver.

I still get chills over the interplay on this one from the original Farewell Concert by Cream.

Take your time getting back into the Music Scene. Try a 'big Toe in the Water' approach, and you'll know when you can handle it more-easily. At the right pace, you can do this.

Music Video Link

'Crossroads' ~ Cream Live

------

RIP Jack Bruce

-----
Old 10-25-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It seems every band I grew up with is now Sober, I could write a list of the musicians that had an issue with alcohol or drugs and now are recovered, they don't touch a drop!!

You can be one of those, be a "non drinker" like many others!!